Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:18 PM

Default Front tire shimmy

Gentelmen,
Did our first taxi test today hoping for our first flight. Shimmy on the front wheel was excessive. After reviewing the plans, I have to revisit the tightening of the fork to 26 pounds of resistance on the front axle. I don't know that I did that when first installed 4 years ago. How do we accomplish that pull? Fish scale is the only thing that comes to mind...
Thoughts from the brain trust are always greatly appreciated
Old 06-07-2019, 11:46 PM

In my RV-7 manual this is covered in the manual section 10, named Landing Gear under the title "Setting the Breakout Force of the Nosewheel." I don't know what RV-10 manuals have. But it does say "fish scale." Good luck. I'm sure other folks can give you more details.
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid anyway
Old 06-08-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Craig View Post
I don't know that I did that when first installed 4 years ago. How do we accomplish that pull? Fish scale is the only thing that comes to mind...
Thoughts from the brain trust are always greatly appreciated
I have used fish scale as well as an expensive tension/compression meter. Currently using a $10 luggage scale. Key is something that shows breakout force or max force as once moving the force drops. Spring fish scales don?t but many digital luggage scales have a hold function to show max force.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 06-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Get the right nose axle nut tension, but then work the other issues, such as:
- Get the replacement axle where you can dial in the bearing tension: http://www.matcomfg.com/AXLEASSEMBLY...dv-3657-1.html
This also eliminates the nose gear fork wear problem.
- Balance the nose wheel.
- More important, balance the main gear.

Carl
Old 06-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Thanks to the group for all the help.. I'll give it a try next week
Old 06-09-2019, 05:39 AM

I use a fish scale just like the plans show. Works great. I have two, a 50lb Rapala from Amazon and 30lb antique brass Chatillon from eBay. Measure within a pound of each other.
RV-12iS - All kits ordered!
VAF on Annual Autopay
Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 PM

I recently had a bad shimmy happen on landing after I installed the wheel pant on the nose gear (in a Velocity... which are known for bad ground steering and NLG shimmy). It was suggested that I check the wheel balance.

The tire was new and the heavy spot aligned across from the stem. The wheel itself needed no balancing, the tube is what it is, but as soon as I installed the new Michelin tire I found I had to add 110gm of balance weight.

The result was the shimmy disappeared with and out the fairing. If your installation is new, you should check the balance if you didn't do it when you built up the assembly.

Harbor freight sells a cheap motorcycle wheel balancer that worked fine for this.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Van’s (also Cirrus) have a bulletin re: reducing nose shimmy. The recommendation is to reduce tire pressure. Had the same issue with the recommended tire pressure. I reduced my nose about 4-5 pounds under and the mains a couple and it solved the problem. It just puts more tire surface on the ground.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default May be the mains

There has been lots of threads on this but wanted to make sure it is the nose gear. In most cases on the -10 it is the mains that shake around 24-30mph. One way to make sure is to fly early or late with big shadows. If it is the nose gear that is an easy fix, the mains are not so easy.

RV-10 N104XP (1280 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)