- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 PM

Default Arizona / Grand Canyon Trip

Thursday 5/31 I started the biggest trip yet with my RV. The plan is to fly from Michigan to Tennessee, pick up my dad and take him to Arizona. We will spend a weekend exploring around Page, AZ, then off to Flagstaff to meet the outfitters for an 8 day raft trip down the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon. Today trip was a quick 2 1/2 hours from C91 to KCSV, Crossville, TN, home of trade-a-plane.

Low clouds and scattered showers made me really appreciate the autopilot and all the information you have on the big G3X screens for the IFR flight.

About 30 minutes short of Crossville I had to cross a line of thunderstorms. While ATC helped find a big whole in the line, it was sure nice to also see it on the screens. A few minutes later the clouds were all gone, canceled IFR and reached the first days destination.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:19 PM

Default Arizona / Grand Canyon Day 2

Today we flew from Crossville, TN to Page, AZ. The day started out slow. The plan was to leave at 4:30 am, an hour before sunrise. The FBO had given me the gate code, but they forgot to tell me you had to hit # before using the code. Could not reach anyone the number of after hours service, so called the city police department. They send an officer by who let us in. We finally left at 5:15am.

Some low scattered clouds, especially tucked down in the valleys, but a beautiful morning. We did see evidence of flooding when we crossed the Mississippi.

First fuel stop was Okmulgee, OK. Very helpful, and after 4.2 flight hours we were ready for breakfast. Out second fuel stop was planned for Sandia East (1N1) but with a healthy crosswind and a 30' runway I opted to pay a little more and stop at Moriarty (0E0). Wow was it busy. There was some sort of sailplane competition going on. It was a lot of fun spending a little time there watching the tow launches and the landings, some on the runways, some on the taxiways.

From Moriarty we went north around Albuquerque, NM. Wow, there is some rough terrain around there.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:44 PM

Default Arizona / Grand Canyon Day 2

Continuing for the Albuquerque area we headed by monument valley. I kept thinking, that the emergency landing opportunities were few indeed, and would fly a little higher.

Shorty after passing Monument Valley, Lake Powell came into view, and we knew the end was near. Going by Navajo Mountain, it still had snow at its peak, even though that was only about 10,500 ft.

After flying an extra long pattern to make way for a Gulf Stream that was determined cut corners, we finally arrived at Page, AZ. Flight time from Crossville was 10.0 hours, with a strong head wind the whole way. Hopefully those winds will bless us on our way home.

The FBO had our car waiting for us, and we soon were on our way. The first stop was a river overlook, we had to get a look at the river we would spend 8 days on.

The Glen Canyon **** is quite a sight.

I hope the rental car company does not mind a little desert exploration.

Tomorrow we are off to explore the area around Page, then Sunday flying Flagstaff to meet the white water outfitters.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:35 PM

Default Arizona / Grand Canyon Day 3

Saturday we went to church and explored the Page, AZ by car. I had never been here before, and would hate to drive this far, but by RV it was a fun ride. I am enjoying the different plant life.

The Glen Canyon **** is also very impressive.

Saturday afternoon we went for a hike to an out of the way section of antelope canyon. On the way we found these baby geodes, they covered the ground in some areas.

Our hike was 7 miles there in back across the desert, we carried lots of water.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:43 PM

Default Arizona / Grand Canyon Day 4

Today we are flying from Page, AZ, over the Grand Canyon to Flagstaff where we will meet the group to go rafting.

We started the day by hiking down to Lake Powell, we had seen it so much we should we should reach out and touch it.

Yet more flower pictures, amazing where beauty can grow.

Then off to the airport to depart for Flagstaff. While waiting on the fuel truck I noticed mine wasn't the only RV.

After lift off we circled Lake Powell to gain altitude. Page is at 4300' and you want to be at 8,000' to start down Marble Canyon, and at 10,500' by the time you hit the Grand Canyon area.

As we turned toward Marble Canyon we passed over Horseshoe Bend.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Default Arizona / Grand Canyon Day 4b

We finally crossed into the Grand Canyon corridor. I saw several helicopters pass well under us. Here a few quick shots, I was uncomfortable taking too much time to set them up as I have been repeatedly told this airspace can be very busy.

Here we are all tied down, unloaded and the plane put to bed as we prepare to head out on our big rafting trip. It has been several days of great scenery. Will post more when we get back from rafting. Can you imagine days of no internet or WiFi.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:50 AM

What an epic adventure! Thanks for posting.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 AM

Very nice Bill! I am dreaming of a Grand Canyon/Las Vegas trip! The raft excursion sounds like a must! Thanks for the write up and pictures!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid
Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 AM

Great trip so far! Thanks for sharing!
First flight 5/25/2021
Phase 1
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid
Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Default Trip

Great write up and pics Bill. This trip is on my list for the future, that's why I'm working on my IR.