- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 PM

Default My own little airstrip

I have a little farm. I have about 2,200 feet I could use for a grass/dirt strip. It isn't oriented perfectly maybe 3/21. Most strips around here are 13/31 or so. There is a short powerline at one end maybe 30'. Do I have to do anything to get it legal? I might build a little hanger maybe 30x30. I have a RV-3 with no wheel pants and a 7KCAB Citabria.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:30 PM

Default Go for it.

I calculated yesterday while riding the zero-turn that I spend about 5-10 hours mowing my 2100 feet of grass for every RV hour I log in the air.

And even so, I wouldn't trade it for a rental hangar on some city's paved airport unless I had to. It's your dream; make it happen.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 PM

The field I live on is oriented 21/03 and works just fine. Some days the approach on 21 requires some crabbing. But hey, who doesn't enjoy a crabbed approach now & then? It's all good!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 PM

My experience is that the local planning commission has the final say. The Feds will issue an ok as long as it is not dangerous. From your description of your situation I would say "no problem." My situation is I have 1,500 feet on 18 coming in over 40 foot power lines. From at 36 perspective is it a 1000 foot no obstructions. Works for me.

The feds told me they would ok most any situation, but the final is the locals.

Best to you, I would definitely start with the local first.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
I have a little farm. I have about 2,200 feet I could use for a grass/dirt strip. It isn't oriented perfectly maybe 3/21. Most strips around here are 13/31 or so. There is a short powerline at one end maybe 30'. Do I have to do anything to get it legal? I might build a little hanger maybe 30x30. I have a RV-3 with no wheel pants and a 7KCAB Citabria.
Spend the bucks to put the powerline underground and you'll have a great RV field. The powerlines might make it a one way strip a lot of days.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 04-22-2019, 08:39 PM

Putting the power line underground sounds like a good idea. I'm out in the county. Only permit needed is for septic tank. I'm thinking about having my own little cemetery as well.

Last edited by swjohnsey : 04-22-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Default Local authorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
Putting the power line underground sounds like a good idea. I'm out in the county. Only permit needed is for septic tank. I'm thinking about having my own little cemetery as well.
Let us know if you really don?t have local bureaucrats telling what you can do. I might be moving to Kingsville if true.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ato14a View Post
Let us know if you really don?t have local bureaucrats telling what you can do. I might be moving to Kingsville if true.
He lives in Texas man! Ya do what you want on your property there. No planning commission approval needed. Not so much here in California...
Old 04-23-2019, 06:32 AM

Default Yep. Money solves problems.

The local planning commission was no problem. Half were old farts who used to fly back in the day. They said "Why'd you bring us out here to look at your farm? I'd 'a just landed here and not told anyone about it..."

Uh, because you made my next door neighbor permit his strip ten years ago. And because your county regs require it in great detail...

$8,000 in 1999 dollars made 450' of 2kV power line disappear underground, along with phone and cable fiber. Best money spent on the whole project.

Do this part! Bob Barrows of Bearhawk fame hit a power line on approach landing yesterday in Jacksonville, NC and is in the hospital as we speak.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 AM

I have mine here in Texas. As long as you're not in city limits the county doesn't care until you build the hangar then they'll tax it.

Regarding the FAA you have to inform them and fill out everything. Unless you're right under an airway or in the path of an IFR approach to an airport or something like that it'll be smooth sailing. Remember the FAA doesn't approve your runway, they don't care what you do on the ground, they are only interested in if you would be a hazard to other aviation assets currently in the area once you take off.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.