- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:57 PM

Default Slick Magneto Issue

I am having an issue with my Slick magneto on the right side of the engine. I start my plane with the left mag which has the impulse coupler on it. After I start the plane and have both magnetos turned on - if I turn off the left mag the engine dies which tells me the right magneto isn't sparking. I thought I had an issue with the wiring but today I disconnected the p-lead and ground wires off the right magneto to make it always hot and started the plane with the left mag. When I turned off the left magneto the engine died. When this issue originally started I pulled the right mag off and checked the spark off plug number 1 with a paperclip and it would show spark. I put the timing pin in the left rotation hole on the right mag and after setting the flywheel to BTDC reinstalled the mag timing it with the buzz/light box. Would an issue with the cap and wires cause it to not work? Is this a timing issue? I pretty much eliminated the wiring to the switch to be the issue. The plane starts right up on the left magneto. The plane has been sitting for months while I try to get this corrected/sorted (my current job situation doesn't allow much time to make it out to the airport).
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 04-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I put the timing pin in the left rotation hole on the right mag and after setting the flywheel to BTDC reinstalled the mag timing it with the buzz/light box.
I believe the pin should be in the right alignment hole when timing the right mag. EDIT: Depends on the model number. R for right L for left rotating.

You may have the problem relating to the latest slick SB. If it's in the affected serial # range or had affected parts installed, Champion will fix it for free.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)

Last edited by Raymo : 04-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:35 PM

Mike you are correct in that the pin goes into the hole according to the MAG ROTATION LEFT or RIGHT, as stamped on the mag data plate . This pin has nothing to do with the placement of the mag on the engine ie left mag or right mag position. If the mag doesn't have internal issues and you set the mag in place with the #1 cyl at 25 deg BTDC it should be good to go on the non impulse mag .
Old 04-08-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
I believe the pin should be in the right alignment hole when timing the right mag.
Not my understanding. I believe the mag will tell you whether it is left turning or right turning on the data plate. Whichever way the mag turns, that's the slot you should use for timing. Has nothing to do with whether the mag is mounted on the L or R. I have two left turning mags on my 6A and just replaced both of the distributor gears in conformance with the service bulletin Raymo references.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:50 PM

L hole for left rotating magnetos and make sure the pin goes all the way down to its shoulder in the hole. There is a false positive 180* out that can fool you if you a using a drill bit or similar to find the points opening position.

Ed Holyoke
Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM

You?re sure you were on the compression stroke for #1, not 360 deg off, when you installed/timed it?
Old 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
You?re sure you were on the compression stroke for #1, not 360 deg off, when you installed/timed it?
about to type the same thing. Buzz box can fool you if you didn't do this step.

Larry
Old 04-08-2019, 04:12 PM

No wonder Jeff and I couldn't catch you. I always carry a proper tool (sledge) to fix stuff on the go

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:29 PM

I just had the exact same issue, and went through the exact same process. after two days I found that the engine had not been on the compression stroke when we re-installed the mag. The symptom was the same, so the fact that we disconnected the p-lead led us to believe the it was a mag problem when in reality we had two problems: a bad p-lead and a mag 180 degrees out of time.
1978 PA38-112
Old 04-08-2019, 07:52 PM

Vlad,

That SUV is parked in front of my hanger. Sorry I missed you guys. Scott's engine is sweet.

In response to the other posts I used the same method to setting the flywall for the right mag for BTDC that I do for the left which is just fine.

Next full day off I can try to time it again and see what results I get then.
Building RV-12 with brother

Last edited by Fearless : 04-08-2019 at 08:00 PM.