What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AP servos wiring

jhiggins

I have a question for you engineering guys. I couldn't quite get a definitive answer from the support guy at Dynon. I have wires pre-installed in my RV-7A for the auto pilot servos, but the original builder didn't run enough wires for the current Dynon servos I am putting in. I want to save myself a headache of rerunning wires on a flying aircraft. There are two sets of data wires required for each Dynon servo i.e. 1a, 1b 2a 2b. Are they there for redundancy only? And if so, can I splice in extra wires on each end to run 1a and 2a together on the same wire and 1b and 2b the same thing? I realize if i do this there won't be a fault detection feature if even possible. Thanks.

Jim

I have a question for you engineering guys. I couldn't quite get a definitive answer from the support guy at Dynon. I have wires pre-installed in my RV-7A for the auto pilot servos, but the original builder didn't run enough wires for the current Dynon servos I am putting in. I want to save myself a headache of rerunning wires on a flying aircraft. There are two sets of data wires required for each Dynon servo i.e. 1a, 1b 2a 2b. Are they there for redundancy only? And if so, can I splice in extra wires on each end to run 1a and 2a together on the same wire and 1b and 2b the same thing? I realize if i do this there won't be a fault detection feature if even possible. Thanks.

Jim

It seems logical that those might be redundant circuits. But, without knowing for sure, I wouldn't hazard a guess. I can certainly see why Dynon help desk guy would be hesitant to advise.

If the existing wires are there, why not just add a short extension through a pair of DB9 connectors (no cutting or splicing involved)?

Yes, you can just splice the wires.

However make sure your power lines and disconnect line are kept separate. They are not a part of the 9 pin group...:)

That's the way I wired my RV-6A.

I forget which RS- format they use (maybe 445), it is the one that uses a complete twisted pair (+ and -) for each direction, so four wires for both TX and RX. All four are required.

Larry

If you are using Skyview or AF-5000 you should not connect them together. They are two separate driver and receiver circuits. The older D10A and D100 only used one set.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Back