- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: I fly an aerobatic RV and don't fly aerobatics because... (check all that apply)
I do fly aerobatics but not interested in competition. 91 51.12%
I'm worried about breaking my airplane. 25 14.04%
I can't afford equipping for aerobatics. 7 3.93%
I'm too old for this type of flying. 17 9.55%
I can't find someone to teach me aerobatics. 27 15.17%
Aerobatics just scare me. 16 8.99%
My wife or others discourage this activity. 9 5.06%
I have a medical condition that precludes this activity. 4 2.25%
I just don't like having fun. 5 2.81%
I haven't really thought about it. Tell me more. 13 7.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Default What keeps you from flying aerobatics? Really?

Sometimes I feel like I am beating my head against a brick wall. I have enjoyed flying competitive aerobatics in my RV since 2006 and have done my utmost to encourage others to do the same. Last weekend an aerobatic training session was held at Siler City Airport (KSCR) and numerous RV pilots contacted me, anxious to come out and participate or watch. We welcomed sunny skies and moderate temperatures on Saturday morning and I was the only RV pilot that showed! Where are you guys? In an effort to answer that question I have posted the accompanying poll. Those of you who are flying aerobatically capable RVs (RV-3,4,6,7,8,14) please give me honest answers to the poll and I will try to address your questions and concerns in this thread. Thank you for participating.

My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 03-18-2019, 08:09 AM

Want me to post an MRI of my lumbar discs? Ain't no juice left in 'em

Seriously, a few 3.5G pulls and I pay for it all week. The seat is too upright for a tall guy.

BTW, you may have missed a factor in the survey list. I could be wrong, but competition appears to require significant travel, and a lot of us out here are not retired, or on flexible schedules, or otherwise lack independent income.

Last edited by DanH : 03-18-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 AM

I'm too fat! Can't get an instructor in my 7 and be within aerobatic weight limits.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Default Training.

Willing, but not suitable weather yet.

Too much weather between C75 and you for this training session. I have found a school near Chicago that has an RV 8 and will do training. Plans for this spring. I snowed again yesterday, so not just yet. Also, a little cowl work is needed, my FAB rubs at 3 g's. I found that resting in PH I.

This was not a selection in the poll.

RV-7
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post

Seriously, a few 3.5G pulls and I pay for it all week. The seat is too upright for a tall guy.

BTW, you may have missed a factor in the survey list. I could be wrong, but competition appears to require significant travel, and a lot of us out here are not retired, or on flexible schedules, or otherwise lack independent income.
You can easily pick out the motorcycle racers at the Bonneville Salt Flats, they all walked funny.

RV-7
Old 03-18-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Yeah, I'm a bit scared

OK here goes.

We built an RV-7A. Looked for quite a while for a decent 9, but couldn't find anything that met our quality standards. Twenty something ATP pilot son convinced us to buy/build a 7 so he could go upside down. That's what we did.

I haven't flown any real aerobatics since UPT in 1981. It's hard to hurt a T-37 or a T-38. My G tolerance is slim to non-existent now. Aerobatics in a low powered GA airplane is a different animal from an afterburning supersonic jet.

I need training. Hope I'm still trainable. Had discussed going to Alabama to get some experience with Greg Koontz before trying anything beyond a simple aileron roll. So yes, I'm a bit gun shy - despite (probably because of) 20K hours of mostly feet on the floor heavy iron flying.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021)
RV-10 under construction at Synergy Air South
Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 AM

i personally found it to be physically uncomfortable, best analogy i can think of is sorta like riding on a small boat on choppy water, some people do it- i just don't think it's enjoyable

i guess to each his own?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenson View Post
I'm too fat! Can't get an instructor in my 7 and be within aerobatic weight limits.
My 6 has like no useful load to get up to the acro weight with 2 pilots onboard.

What worked for me was getting training in a super decathlon / pitts, than transferred what I learned into to the six solo. At least now I can get to the point of critiquing myself, but yes having the useful to get an acro instructor on board with us would be a beautiful thing.

For me, learning, critiquing, and improving on maneuvers has been a fun way to become a better RV pilot, and enjoy another aspect of flying.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)

Last edited by flyinhood : 03-18-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post

OK Dan, go ahead an post your MRI. Here's my x-ray of three cervical disc replacements and four vertebra bolted together.

BTW the disc did not sustain injury from aerobatics, just old age.

I'm not trying to minimize anyone's medical issues. I'm not competing with a dedicated aerobatic mount like and Extra or MX because I no longer have the physical stamina to withstand 10 positive and 6 negative Gs that is required at the higher levels of competition. I regularly come back from a practice flight with plus 5.6 and minus 1.8 on the G-meter. That's enough for me and well within the capabilities of my RV-8.

I do understand that there is a cost to competing and that is certainly something to consider. The entry fee to most competitions is about $100-125. That's cheaper than most rock concert tickets and a lot easier on your hearing. I've tried rock concerts and prefer to spend my money on aerobatics. I'm amazed at the expense some people will endure to do something they love.
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 AM

I fly lots of aerobatics. I just didn't like some of the pedantic, childish, boorish behavior I saw at multiple IAC gatherings. Besides, aerobatics are a means to an end - I'm much more interested in rat racing than doing loops/rolls/etc for a panel of judges.

Last edited by ChiefPilot : 03-18-2019 at 09:07 AM.