Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Painting your RV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 AM

Question Pinholes while painting the interior my RV

I'm sorry if I don't know the terms in painting, but according to my research what's happening to me is called pinholes. I have these little dots of contamination, like those little balls of lint that you get in your clothes.
I've cleaned the fuselage thoroughly, vacuumed it, compressed air, then water and alcohol until it was spot on clean.
I built a homemade paint booth with an inlet and an outlet all amounting to positive pressure to avoid drawing dust into it, I wet the floor to avoid dust or fallen paint from rising back up into the cabin but no luck.

RV painters, How have you approached this? Any advice?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Fisheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Martinez View Post
I'm sorry if I don't know the terms in painting, but according to my research what's happening to me is called pinholes. I have these little dots of contamination, like those little balls of lint that you get in your clothes.
I've cleaned the fuselage thoroughly, vacuumed it, compressed air, then water and alcohol until it was spot on clean.
I built a homemade paint booth with an inlet and an outlet all amounting to positive pressure to avoid drawing dust into it, I wet the floor to avoid dust or fallen paint from rising back up into the cabin but no luck.

RV painters, How have you approached this? Any advice?
If the surface was clean and dry then...
Is it possible they are fisheyes? They are usually contamination from the air supply. Usually condensed water in the line but also can be oil. Do you have a filter at the gun?
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:25 AM

You also should use new hose dedicated only to painting. I like a very flexible hose connected to a dedicated new regulator and water separator inside the paint booth. The line to the paint booth regulator should also be new but you might be able to get away with a used one there. As per the previous post a filter at the gun is essential.
HP-18 5596S flying since '83
RV-10 996S flying since 2014, quick build wing and slow build fues., - dual Skyviews with complete system, two radio and not much else. Interior completely finished with Zolatone. CF plenum. 1624 lbs, FLYING after a 21.5 month build.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
If the surface was clean and dry then...
Is it possible they are fisheyes? They are usually contamination from the air supply. Usually condensed water in the line but also can be oil. Do you have a filter at the gun?
I'm pretty sure those are not called fisheyes, I've had those and improved my surface prep because of that. I do have a water filter on my paint gun. Here's a picture of how the surface looks: https://imgur.com/a/juwfKwQ

Thanks for the reply, Larry.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpattonsoa View Post
You also should use new hose dedicated only to painting. I like a very flexible hose connected to a dedicated new regulator and water separator inside the paint booth. The line to the paint booth regulator should also be new but you might be able to get away with a used one there. As per the previous post a filter at the gun is essential.
Hi, Bruce.

Here's a picture of the problem I'm having: https://imgur.com/a/juwfKwQ do you think this is a problem of air contamination on my gun? I'll look into that dedicated hose.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:42 AM

That's just dirt...flying fuzzies, furry funk.

You mentioned building a positive pressure paint booth. Plastic sheet ceiling? They tend to dump dust when the fan is first turned on and the booth inflates.

Seal the booth with everything ready to go, start the fan, let it run a few minutes, then tack rag all surfaces just prior to spraying.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Default Tack cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
That's just dirt...flying fuzzies, furry funk.

You mentioned building a positive pressure paint booth. Plastic sheet ceiling? They tend to dump dust when the fan is first turned on and the booth inflates.

Seal the booth with everything ready to go, start the fan, let it run a few minutes, then tack rag all surfaces just prior to spraying.
Nope. Not fisheye. Like Dan said. Just floating debris. Hard to elimate but a tack cloth helps.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Overspray collects on the top and sides of the booth and falls when you step in and the booth flexes. And it comes from the fan. And your clothes. And the hoses. And the floor. And inside your parts, etc.

You can make a few changes to make it better but it's just about impossible to get rid of 100%. Make sure you have filters on the inlet air. Wash down the sides, floor, etc after each use to knock the junk loose. Keep the floor wet. Clean hoses throughly. Switch out the ceiling and/or floors for 3m masking film (or similar product that paint will stick to instead of slough off). Don't use paper towels!

Mask off any openings in the parts with paper and tape. Don't use plastic unless it's masking film (NOT painter's plastic).

The best thing to do is have all your paint supplies in there and do it all in one run. Mix paint & let induce. Take your spray gun and spray your parts with just air to knock stuff loose. Wipe down parts with W&G remover using lint free rags, tack cloth. Wait. Wipe down one more time with tack cloth and spray. Then sit in there until the product flashes (this part is usually not possible unfortunately).

If you need to go in an out a few times be sure to tack cloth just before spraying.

If you're going to shoot another layer of paint or clear you can nib out the trash with a burnished single-edge razor that's been bent a bit. And you can use toothpicks to pull out some trash when the paint is wet but you will potentially leave a small divot where it laid.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:54 PM

If they are tiny little pimples where the paint extends off the surface like a tiny little hill, they are entrapped dust, usually picked up from the air and not residing on the surface. If they are truly pinholes, where there is little rise from the surface and they have a noticeable tiny hole in the paint surface (sometimes looks like a tiny crater), it is solvent pop. Fisheyes are quite distinguishable and generally much larger than what one would call a pinhole.

I am unable to completely eliminate dust when painting in my garage, though there are several tricks to reduce it. I resolve to the fact that everything I paint needs to be cut and buffed, due to not having a paint booth. I found the greatest reduction from wearing a tyvek paint suit. Most dust comes from the painter. Grounding the part also helps a lot. The spraying creates a lot of static and the higher the guns air pressure, the greater the static produced.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 03-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:51 PM

This is a pretty good video on how to remove runs and dust nibs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0iG86Q8obo