Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Talking When the Wife wants to fly, you fly!

My Wife doesn't get the same enjoyment out of flying as I do, she's tagged along probably 25 hours of the almost 400 on my RV. I've tried bribing with various destinations but she'd almost always rather stay home. When she asked me yesterday about flying to see her mom for her mom's Bday I was ON IT like white on snow.

Weather forecast was pretty decent the night before but it is February in Kansas, airplane prepped and plugged in the night before. It wasn't forecast in my vicinity but I was not surprised to see the Fog and low visibility while driving home from the mid-shift, seemed it was freezing fog by the looks of the treetops. We postponed departure 30 minutes to let the sun do it's thing.

After breakfast for me and lil' dude and Wal-Mart for the Wife we met at the airport where the updated TAF was proving the Fog was lifting. 10 miles of hazy visibility at takeoff and a tailwind at 1500' AGL. I'ld almost regretted putting in the carseat attatch points, almost. I've yet to use them hour for hour as long as they took me to build. Leaving home base.

Shortly after takeoff the pic off the wing was kinda hazy with the canopy fogged up after the ground ops, the Wife was not about to let me leave the canopy cracked.

The computer fans and avionics usually keep the windscreen clear.

Almost there and everyone is still smiling! Lil' dude was actually kinda stoked to ride in back, he's definitely going to out grow it before the baggage weight is exceeded.

I forgot my phone in the airplane so no pics of my super surprised and happy Mother In Law as we delivered Roses and homemade cinnamon rolls.....and a grandchild for her Bday.

After a 2 hour visit the airplane was still plenty warm upon our return. I learned to fly out of KSLN, Taxiway E was our go to taxi instruction from the ramp and still is. They've shortened the runway since to 12,301, E is about the halfway point. I wonder if the old unofficial record for the # of touch and go's on 17/35 has ever been broken...

Seems K-State 30 is slightly left of the center-line, students always want to skew it to their side. Kalitta Charter also in the background.

A little less ice than when we left, lil' dude dutifully raising the hangar door/lights and positioning the tail dragger dragger.

A wife that wanted to fly, a lil 'dude that always wants to fly along with a flyable day in February to surprise a Mother-In-Law, a tailwind both ways (2500' westbound and 11,500 eastbound) the RV turned a 6 hour drive into a 1.6 hour flight with a 2 hour visit before lunch for less gas than my deceased Carolla and made for a great day.

Last edited by crabandy : 02-21-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post

Almost there and everyone is still smiling! Lil' dude was actually kinda stoked to ride in back, he's definitely going to out grow it before the baggage weight is exceeded.

I think I might have been the first to install a child seat in the back of a 6A in 1993.
We found the same thing... my son outgrew the space long before weight/CG was a problem. Wasn't a problem for long because right about the time he was getting too big his sister came along and there was no way I could install seats for them both so he got to move up to the front and mom and sister stayed home.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Simply awesome!
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM

Great trip!

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I think I might have been the first to install a child seat in the back of a 6A in 1993.
We found the same thing... my son outgrew the space long before weight/CG was a problem. Wasn't a problem for long because right about the time he was getting too big his sister came along and there was no way I could install seats for them both so he got to move up to the front and mom and sister stayed home.
I agree with Scott, my son outgrew the baggage compartment at around age five and a half. Weight was never an issue but him kicking the back of my seat on final was.

I then moved him and his booster seat to the front seat and Momma stayed home for a quiet day by herself.

Now the Mini-Me and I take the plane for weekend camping trips. (Still waiting for a high wing 2+2 to replace my -9. Hint, hint, hint...)
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Scott, thanks for posting previously as I know I referenced your previous post before making my car seat tie downs.
I’m still torn on the child seat tie downs as I’ve used the lower ones numerous times for baggage tie down points. Most of the work was head scratching, maybe half again as much fabricating and installing. Than again the few flights I’ve used them they worked well.

I added the car seat tie down points close to final assembly, at the time I had 2 little girls on the ground and 1 on the way. I think I had my second youngest in the back car seat a total of twice, my third girl just another couple. I’ld been flying for several years before my lil’ dude came along.

A rear facing infant car seat works very well with the co-pilot stick and seatback removed, not enough room to fit a rear facing seat in the baggage. Forward facing car seats can fit very well in the baggage area, but the kiddo must also be well adjusted to flying, if not they don’t seem to do well looking at the back of your head (2 place intercom and headset won’t reach them) and it’s hard to tend to their needs behind you. I’ve found a regular headset and the kiddo beside you works very well.

I think it depends on the season of your life, the first couple years when I really could’ve put the kiddo seat to use I was mostly doing test and local solo flights. Now I’m mostly destination flying and the car seat would be used more but the season has changed and it’s just usually me and 1 kiddo.

Last edited by crabandy : 02-21-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post

I then moved him and his booster seat to the front seat and Momma stayed home for a quiet day by herself.

Now the Mini-Me and I take the plane for weekend camping trips. (Still waiting for a high wing 2+2 to replace my -9. Hint, hint, hint...)
This has been my ?go to? for the last couple years, daddy and a kiddo get to go on a flying adventure and momma gets a couple days of ?me? time.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Man, your polishing skills are way better than mine!! I bet you even polish the underside. Great pics. Wonderful story. Fantastic wife who "wants to fly." You are soooo lucky. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Looks like mom will soon be addicted. Best to plan for a 10 on the horizon.

Last edited by F1R : 02-22-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaplerrh View Post
Man, your polishing skills are way better than mine!! I bet you even polish the underside. Great pics. Wonderful story. Fantastic wife who "wants to fly." You are soooo lucky. Thanks for sharing.
Speaking of polishing the belly it?s about time to hit it again....
Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1R View Post
Looks like mom will soon be addicted. Best to plan for a 10 on the horizon.
As much as I would like to I don?t think a 10 is in the cards, I?ve thought about selling the 7 and partnering in a PA32-300. Should have enough leftover to buy a partially completed kit to work on while flying the PA32-300....