- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Default Odd Brake Failure

After some routine maintenance which did not include anything at all with the brakes (I did an oil change), I uneventfully taxied out to the runway for a short test flight. Winds were something around 12G18 and coming from a direction that favored the far end of the runway when coming from my hangar. The taxing was uneventful. I line up and go full throttle when I do notice some unusual squirreliness staying on the centerline that I dismissed as xwind.

I flew for a half hour and landed only to find out my right brake was completely out. Lucky for me the runway was 3500ft and a the last third is uphill, 2nd stroke of luck the FBO was a left turn I got a tow back to my hangar and found this! I'm wondering if I picked up some FOD on the taxiway or runway?

Photo's:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N66p62FsPBoUmLLv6

Ordered about $300 in parts. Hope the weather is as nice next weekend as this one.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 02-16-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: took out photos that didn't show and replaced with link
Old 02-16-2019, 03:06 PM

Did your brake disc fracture from the wheel?
Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 PM

Look like the pant hit something that forced it top side outward and the mount bent and made contact with the rotor. Could also have hit something head on that was on the inboard side of the pant front (deflecting to fwd tip outward). The spinning steel rotor eventually ate a slot out of the alum bracket. Likely when the mount finally severed, the tension was released and the object holding the pant there was released. Also possible it just bent from hitting something.

This would have caused that wheel to initially drag, like the brake was partially stuck on. Then likely alum fragments got stuck in the pads and the brake became ineffective.

You can see the slight chamfer on the rotor where the contact was made.

Just speculation from the pics.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 02-16-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
Did your brake disc fracture from the wheel?
Doesn?t appear to have but I haven?t disassembled any further than you see in the pics.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Look like the pant hit something that forced it top side outward and the mount bent and made contact with the rotor. Could also have hit something head on that was on the inboard side of the pant front (deflecting to fwd tip outward). The spinning steel rotor eventually ate a slot out of the alum bracket. Likely when the mount finally severed, the tension was released and the object holding the pant there was released. Also possible it just bent from hitting something.

This would have caused that wheel to initially drag, like the brake was partially stuck on. Then likely alum fragments got stuck in the pads and the brake became ineffective.

You can see the slight chamfer on the rotor where the contact was made.

Just speculation from the pics.

Larry
I didnt notice any wheel pant damage but will look closer.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:03 PM

It looks like the brake disk was touching the pant bracket and it took that time to crack and fail.

I replaced all those nylock nuts with metal locknuts some time ago. The reason is that they get warm and loosen due to the heat from the brake rotor. Once they loosen, the bracket is free to move around.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-16-2019, 04:45 PM

My guess is someone stepped on your wheel pant and cracked the attachment. It was touching the brake disc and eventually was worn through. That thing coming apart caused the brake failure. But, thats just a guess based on the pictures.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 PM

I bet the bracket distortion was forced by the wheel fairing. Either somebody stepped on it or it hit something. Could even touch the tarmac in a strong xwind if the pant sits too low. Also Tim while redoing it check for other bracket integrity could be some micro cracks there. Once upon a time I drove through the brush of Wild West and observed similar symptoms

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 AM

Thx Vlad, I think I?ll also check the pilots side before I disassemble anything to see if I reassembled incorrectly after the last relining.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 AM

Default Brake Failure

Perhaps one of the brake pads came loose and it tore the bracket on it's way around. No brake pad, no brakes.