Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Reno 2019 rookie...hopefully

Wheels are turning and gears are in motion at Bear Dog Racing to make the Reno Air Races 2019 for the very first time in our RV-4. First comes Pylon Racing School in June..."Rookie School". When all goes well there, I'll have my Sport Class racing license in hand on Sunday the 9th, then....qualifying in September. Really excited!! Race prop finally being carved this weekend. Need to get going on the 10:1 pistons and intake mod. Feel free to come to the pits and turn a wrench 👍

See y'all in Reno!!!
SARL Race 51
Performance Propellers USA
Race #51
00R
Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Please, if you have not done so already, get formation training before you go out there. It will make life easier for you and safer for everyone else.

read the article on Kitplanes (March 2017). Should help you out. Good luck!!
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of my employer.

Last edited by AX-O : 01-07-2019 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Default You go!

Most excellent! Enjoy the journey, and if you do end up needing some pit crew I'd be glad to jump in; stay in touch.

Dan
Old 01-08-2019, 01:04 PM

I've got a couple of local guys going to school me in formation. One is a former F-16 pilot, and did the first test flight in my plane. He's written in the Vans av8tor. I'll be ready, Axel 👍

Y'all be sure and stop by the pits!
Performance Propellers USA
Race #51
00R
Old 01-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Default FAST

Hey Axel,

Are most guys FAST qualified at Reno?

What are the requirements to go to the racing school?

Cheers,

Don
Old 01-09-2019, 01:29 AM

Default A couple more things..

Make sure your brakes are at 100%, and your tires are good to go. Once you get there, you?ll see why this is important. Don?t forget your tie-downs too!

One point: PRS is not a ?formation teaching? venue. There are some differences that are Reno specific that you will learn, but you will need to know formation flying before you load up to go to Stead. Best you start formation training NOW; you have 6 months.

See you there!

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 01-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Patrick View Post
Hey Axel,

Are most guys FAST qualified at Reno?

What are the requirements to go to the racing school?

Cheers,

Don
Don,
I don't understand your question. Are you asking what formation qualifications Reno racers need to have in order to race? or what formation qualification do pilots show up with before PRS?

Also,what requirements are you talking about? There are several; Aircraft, pilot, insurance, Reno paper work.

break

Want to make sure this is clear. PRS is not formation school. It is not where you become familiar with the borrowed aircraft that you will be using to race. it is not where you sharpen your flying skills.

PRS is where you learn appropriate race procedures, get a taste of the environtment and demonstrate that you can performed within the envelope required to earn the qualification.

If the pilot coming in is not prepared, it makes the progress difficult not only for themselves but also for the peer group. It increases the risk factor for everyone. Not to mention that it makes peers upset because they spent the money, time and effort to be prepared and the unprepared pilot is wasting someone elses resources.

This is serious stuff. Be prepared or don't show up until you are prepared. Win-win for everyone.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of my employer.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 AM

Default Preparation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
Don,
I don't understand your question. Are you asking what formation qualifications Reno racers need to have in order to race? or what formation qualification do pilots show up with before PRS?

Also,what requirements are you talking about? There are several; Aircraft, pilot, insurance, Reno paper work.

break

Want to make sure this is clear. PRS is not formation school. It is not where you become familiar with the borrowed aircraft that you will be using to race. it is not where you sharpen your flying skills.

PRS is where you learn appropriate race procedures, get a taste of the environtment and demonstrate that you can performed within the envelope required to earn the qualification.

If the pilot coming in is not prepared, it makes the progress difficult not only for themselves but also for the peer group. It increases the risk factor for everyone. Not to mention that it makes peers upset because they spent the money, time and effort to be prepared and the unprepared pilot is wasting someone elses resources.

This is serious stuff. Be prepared or don't show up until you are prepared. Win-win for everyone.
I want to second Axel’s And Mark’s comments about preparation for PRS and add a few of my own.

Preparation goes far beyond having the flying experience to get the most out of it. You also need to come prepared with the required safety and aircraft equipment as well as documentation and know what the requirements are BEFORE arriving at Stead Field. This includes things like having operational passenger controls (stick) and intercom with passenger PTT, having a flight suit, helmet, gloves and a fire extinguisher safely mounted. Your aircraft needs to be in a safe and airworthy condition and you need to be comfortable flying with an instructor in the passenger seat. You need to arrive prepared to learn and willing to accept constructive feedback.

See you in June!

Skylor

Last edited by skylor : 01-10-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Default PM

Axel, tried to send you a PM but you?re full.

Don
Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 AM

Johnnie and Don,

Axel, Sky and Mark are giving good advice, and I'll try to clarify things a bit for ya. I feel it's important to give prospective Sport Class Race Pilots a clear picture of the class experience prerequisites, and to provide a frank picture of the current playing field.

Sport Class has grown dramatically over the past few years. This is in great measure to the growth of our RV pilot ranks, which is very exciting for our RV community. There has also been growth among the really fast movers in the class as well. We have over 100 members, and over 60 certified racers (those with racing licenses).

A bit more about numbers: Sport Class flies 4 heats of 8 racers (32 total) during the Reno National Championship Air Races (NCAR). We are limited to a field of 36 aircraft (the 32, plus 4 we can alternate in in early heats). Only 36 Sport Class planes are allowed to come to Reno in September, due to parking space limitations. For NCAR, 42 race applications are accepted by the Reno Air Racing Association from Sport Class Pilots. They are ranked 1-42 in speed order, by the class. 1-36 are in the field, and 37-42 are the waiting list, in case someone drops out before September. 43 and above are not processed for entry. We typically receive 45-50 Sport applications each year.

The speeds assigned are the best speeds earned in racing or qualifying. For Rookies with a previously not-raced airplane, we try to get a speed during PRS, either on the course, or in a side-by-side test. If that is not do-able, we can assign an average speed, by aircraft type.

For a playing field assessment, in 2018, #32 qualified at 233 mph. 33-35 were in the 220's. One of the 36 failed to qualify due to mechanical issues (prop separation). This year we expect 3-4 additional turbo-charged fast glass planes with veteran racers flying them. We do not have a Rookie list yet (too early). We anticipate a fast and competitive field. It's always hard to say where the cut-line will be, but hi 220s, low 230's is the ball-park estimate.

Next post, I'll cover formation experience requirements.

Cheers,
Bob
Georgetown, TX
President/Sport 49, Sport Class Air Racing
Trustee, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)