- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:02 PM

Default New Panel Design - Critiques Please

I spent part of the holiday break working on a design for a new panel for my RV-6A. I'm getting close to having a first cut of my home-grown avionics suite working and its time to bite the bullet and start "eating my own dog food" as they say. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Here's a pic:

(Here's a link to an "actual size" image.)

So that's three iPads: two of the new 11" Pro models and one of the slightly older 12.9" Pros. Behind the scenes, those tie into two independent but synchronized FlightBox EXP systems, each with its own air data computer (ADC). The systems share a single engine monitor but are otherwise redundant.

The switches are Carling rockers from Rockerswitchpros.com. The autopilot is a TruTrak Vizion. The visible radio is a Garmin SL-40. (There will also be a VAL 2KR remote COM.) The audio panel is a PS Engineering PMA8000BTi.

In general I'm happy with everything except for the placement of the radio and audio selector panel. I originally had them above the smaller iPads but found that would not work - conflicted with the hinges and with the brackets that connect the panel to the sub panel. The autopilot is narrow enough and shallow enough that it won't be a problem.

I've left space below the left-seat display for a TTI (Turbulence Tactile Interface - aka "twist-and-click"). I didn't include it in the picture as I'm having to change the design - again - to match the new iPads. It includes two rotary encoders (knobs) and six buttons. The knobs allow you to adjust various values - altimeter, bugs, map zoom, etc. - while the buttons activate / control the six functions labeled across the bottom of the displays.

Is it overkill for a VFR RV-6A? Oh yeah! It's a test bed. It's a demo. It's an obsession...

A big shout-out to Shawn Mack for cleaning up a copy of the sock RV6 DXF file which I used as a starting point. It had to be modified a bit (my 6A doesn't completely match factory specs) but it was absolutely necessary to get things rolling.

RV-6A N101PR at 40XS
Open Flight Solutions - Maker Of FlightView EFIS
(VAF Supporter / Advertiser)

Last edited by ssokol : 01-02-2019 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Failed to finish a thought. Doh.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Pretty nice looking panel.

Are you really planning on that many circuit breakers, or is that just something you did to fill out the area?

How did the engine data acquisition project go?

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-02-2019, 11:42 PM

Default Breaker, breaker...

I don't know that I'll actually use all six of the auxiliary breakers, but the first 20 are legit. I think one of the extras will be used for an auxiliary plug in the baggage area. Another might be used for a baggage area light - still kicking that around. One may or may not go for a smoke oil pump. The others... pyro ignition? JATO ignition?

I'm almost done with the GRT integration. (I took a break over the holiday.) I'll try to finish up this week and send your system back to you next week. Thanks again for the help!

RV-6A N101PR at 40XS
Open Flight Solutions - Maker Of FlightView EFIS
(VAF Supporter / Advertiser)
Old 01-03-2019, 12:08 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssokol View Post
I'm almost done with the GRT integration. (I took a break over the holiday.) I'll try to finish up this week and send your system back to you next week. Thanks again for the help!
Glad to help, hope all worked out like you hoped it would.

Happy New Year

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 AM

Default No center stack?

I'm not saying it can't be done but one of the reasons you generally see Com radios, Panel mount GPS and Audio panels in the center stack is because of their depth and most cut a hole in the sub panel for the depth. I'm not saying it can't be done because there are plenty of builders on this forum that are masters of thinking outside the box. Just want to make sure you consider the depth of audio panel (not as deep as the com) and your Com radio. Otherwise, the geeky side of me is all smiles because of all the glass
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 01-03-2019, 06:48 AM

Default Yes

It is tremendously annoying how deep the radios are!

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-03-2019, 07:12 AM

Default Transponder ?

What are you doing for a transponder, encoder and ADSB? Another reason why center stack could be useful.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 01-03-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Pretty nice looking panel.

Are you really planning on that many circuit breakers, or is that just something you did to fill out the area?
At SteinAir, we usually plan 30-35 circuit breakers for a normal 2-display Garmin or Dynon panel. Some people put fewer on the panel and add an auxiliary fuse or CB panel for less important loads.
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor

We're all here because we're not all there...
Old 01-03-2019, 08:50 AM

A few of thoughts:
- Be careful with the low audio panel and radio mounting. The knobs stick out and you can hit them with your knees when getting in. Moving these to the center would help. Perhaps moving some of the switches left will provide the needed center space.
- Rocker switches take up way too much panel room and I consider them clunky at best. I?m a fan of locking toggle switches.
- Having the USB power on the panel translates to wires hanging down. If you move the power ports off the panel you don?t end up fighting hanging wires. Same comment goes for headphone jacks. Move those down low below the panel. I find a low center location best for both as neither pilot or co-pilot has headphone wire running across their laps when the exit the plane.

As you say this is VFR only so your reliance on iPads moves to a discussion on preferences.

Carl
Old 01-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Personally, i'd ditch the center screen and move the radios there along with a smaller GPS, like an Aera 660 in a Gizmo flush mount or maybe even a 430... I prefer a setup that maximizes both-seat operations, so the passenger (or relief pilot) can see the same thing I do, and have access to everything I do. The GPS gives a single-point backup to all of that fancy stuff that's, as you say, in testing... If everything (in the experimental EFIS stuff) goes down, a battery-powered Aera would give you everything you need to get you on the ground.