What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT configuration

jjconstant

Well Known Member
I'm in the middle of an avionics upgrade and can't seem to find the info I'm looking for to configure my GRT Sport EX/Horizon EX.

I used to have a Garmin 300xl, Sl30 and the internal GPS for the GRT. The nav choices under the softkeys were listed as GPS1, GPS2 and Nav. The 300xl was GPS 1.

I now have an Avidyne IFD440, SL30 and GRT internal GPS. I've checked and the appropriate serial counters are counting, the system seems to be aware of the sl30 but the only annunciated Nav choices are "440-1" and GPS2.

I know there are a number of ways of configuring it and I would like to hear from folks what their preferred setups are for IFR work and how I do it. I'm sure I'm missing something simple here but I would love to at least see "440-1" and "SL30" or "Nav" as a second choice. I really want to know what Nav sources I'm following!

I've got an email and phone call in to GRT but it's the holidays and I thought I would tap the brain trust...

Unless someone else here has your exact configuration, yeah you wanna wait for GRT to call you back; or maybe post on the GRT forum page, but thats pretty much quiet. I have a 480 and and SL30 and it took a fair few phone calls to Jeff to get it sorted out. But we got there. Some pages you have to configure on are totally not obvious.

Jeremy,

Cant help you with the wiring but If you still have the 300xl and want to part with it I may be I interested. Mine is starting to go on the fritz.

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm happy for us to figure out a reasonable exchange via PM but I can't make any assurances as to how useful it will be...after all, I replaced it because it was well past "starting" to go on the fritz! Maybe if you're interested in parts...

Jeremy

Jeremy - the configuration page which assigns and configures the serial ports also assigns the GPS and NAV numeric identifiers to their serial data source - one wants to ensure this is set up correctly.

In our case we have a GNS480 (RS232 and ARINC429 interface is the same as the IFD440) and an SL30 as well as the GRT multi-constellation satellite receiver built into the Adaptive AHARS (same interface as your existing GRT GPS). The 480 is set up as GPS-1 and SL30-1, while the SL30 radio is set up as SL30-2. Keep in mind the NAV portion of the IFD440 mimics an SL30 nav radio, hence one wants to configure its associated serial port on the GRT equipment as a NAV. The GRT GPS is set up as GPS-2.

Again, these assignments of GPS-1, GPS-2, SL30-1 and SL30-2 are made on the same configuration page where you configure the serial ports. Make sure you have the correct port wired (hardware level - the correct pin on the IFD connected to the correct serial port pin on the GRT), then configure the GRT serial port associated with that hardware pin for the correct speed (ie 9600) and the correct interface standard (ie SL30-1).

Once you've double-checked these items you'll likely see the correct mode selections become available.

Also, it's really a huge help to take photographs of your configuration screens on the GRT displays. In fact I've been using just such photographs as reference material in writing this post. When in doubt, post the photos here so we can help pinpoint any configuration errors.

After reading my post above I realize that I've left out a big chunk of info. ARINC429 connections are critical.

You want to hook up two ARINC 429 connections from the IFD440 to the GRT EFIS and one from the GRT EFIS out to the IFD440. The two IDF440 output channels should be set to vor/ils and gama 429. The IFD440 input connection should go to the #2 429 in port on the IFD440 and set the IFD440 configuration for that port to EFIS. IFD440 ARINC 429 output port speeds are "low" - the receive rate in our installation is set to "high".

The RS232 connection from the IFD440 to the GRT EFIS should be set to MAPCOM so the IFD's flight plan info will transfer to the EFIS.

(This is what happens when I have only a couple of the snapshots of GRT EFIS configuration screens available to me on my phone... DOH!)

Some additional GRT configuration information when dealing with an SL30 (this comes directly from correspondence with GRT):

Send SL30 OBS (Set Menu → General Setup)

Setting = Never – The course must be set on the SL30 for the SL30 to display the cross-track deviation correctly.

When Selected – When the EFIS navigation mode is “NAV” (navigation radio), it will send the selected course to the SL30. When it is not “NAV”, it is not sent, requiring that the course be set on the SL30 to show the deviation.

Setting = Always (default) – The selected NAV course (navigation radio course is set when the the EFIS in in NAV radio mode). The EFIS keeps track of the selected course in NAV radio mode, and the GPS course, and will only send the NAV radio course to the SL30.

Also, if you have multiple GRT EFIS devices, the following info will be helpful to know:
Data shared with a GRT Mini over the Display-Unit Link:
(some data may require optional features to work)

GPS data
EIS data
SL30 VOR/ILS data and frequency commands
SL40 frequency commands
ADS-B Traffic (weather does not transfer) Navigation modes Lateral/vertical/approach modes Heading and course selects Altitude select Altimeter setting Fuel Flow Fuel Remaining (when set by user) Flight Plans and User Waypoints Remote Analog Inputs from a Horizon
ARINC-429 VOR/ILS and GPS data
Dimmer

Tremendously helpful Mark...thanks! I?m on my way to the airport to dig through it all. I did as you suggested initially with my old configuration, but the new one is so different it didn?t help!

Back