Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Default ADSB save - or near enough for me

This morning I was flying my 9A into KMDD headed to work, talking to Midland approach. They pointed out traffic at my 1 o'clock opposite direction 5 miles and handed me to advisory frequency. I saw the traffic on ADSB but not visually, he was on a parallel course about 1 mile to my right coming at me, about 900 below as I was descending into KMDD. He was not talking to approach and he was not on KMDD advisory frequency.

I was still descending and getting within 300' of his altitude and had not found him visually yet - when I noticed on the ADSB screen he had taken a 90-degree right hand turn and was heading directly for me, less than a mile, just as the Dynon squawk-box hollered "Traffic!". I gave up the visual search and pulled about 2.5 positive G to quickly add several hundred feet between us. I finally caught sight of him just as he crossed under me, we would have had less than 100 yards separation if I had maintained my original course and descent.

I don't know any way to have avoided this, since the other pilot was not talking on the local frequency nor to approach (he was in Class E airspace, so not required) but having the ability to SEE him electronically certainly gave me the situational awareness to avoid a close encounter and possibly worse. I did not have a tail number on my screen so the other aircraft was not ADSB-equipped.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 12-20-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:45 AM

Definitely would call that a save! Well done and glad you're safe
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
This morning I was flying my 9A into KMDD headed to work, talking to Midland approach. They pointed out traffic at my 1 o'clock opposite direction 5 miles and handed me to advisory frequency. I saw the traffic on ADSB but not visually, he was on a parallel course about 1 mile to my right coming at me, about 900 below as I was descending into KMDD. He was not talking to approach and he was not on KMDD advisory frequency.

I was still descending and getting within 300' of his altitude and had not found him visually yet - when I noticed on the ADSB screen he had taken a 90-degree right hand turn and was heading directly for me, less than a mile, just as the Dynon squawk-box hollered "Traffic!". I gave up the visual search and pulled about 2.5 positive G to quickly add several hundred feet between us. I finally caught sight of him just as he crossed under me, we would have had less than 100 yards separation if I had maintained my original course and descent.

I don't know any way to have avoided this, since the other pilot was not talking on the local frequency nor to approach (he was in Class E airspace, so not required) but having the ability to SEE him electronically certainly gave me the situational awareness to avoid a close encounter and possibly worse. I did not have a tail number on my screen so the other aircraft was not ADSB-equipped.
Wouldn't it be great if everyone would fly with their landing light on. You can see it over 15 miles during the day.

Motorcycles have done this for years...... and have saved MANY lives.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 12-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Wouldn't it be great if everyone would fly with their landing light on. You can see it over 15 miles during the day.

And, wigwag lights make it even easier to find/see.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 PM

Glad you reacted! Sounds very familiar to my report a while back:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=165330
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 12-20-2018, 02:03 PM

Glad you were able to take avoiding action Greg as it sounds like the other guy never saw you.

I was saved about 10 years ago with my Monroy Traffic Alert which used transponder signals to call out nearby traffic. I was in the middle of nowhere at 9500 feet (uncontrolled airspace) and the alert went off. It usually gave first warning at about 3 NM. About 15 seconds later I spotted the traffic about 70 degrees to my right converging fast, same altitude (wrong altitude for his direction of flight).

I pushed forward on the stick at about 1/2 a mile to keep him in view and the 421 passed directly over my canopy. I believe we would have collided or missed by less than 20 feet if I hadn't lost that 200 feet in the last few seconds.

My scan was usually left or right maybe 60 degrees. That wasn't quite enough to catch this guy and maybe not often enough anyway given the closing speeds.

The electronics will certainly save a few folks. Luckily this guy had his transponder on because some don't.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 450.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 12-20-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
And, wigwag lights make it even easier to find/see.
Remember, there are a LOT of planes out there flying around without lights, wig-wags, radios, etc.

Even with ADS-B, you have to keep your head and eyes outside the cockpit.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if everyone would fly with their landing light on.
I definitely would except for the fact that the light is on my (retractable) landing gear. It's highly visible when the gear are down, but not so much in cruise.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Agree - ADS-B and lights are great tools. But let's not forget flight following - Saved my bacon back in the day.
(Wings: 70%)

"To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly is everything." - Otto Lilienthal

https://www.facebook.com/fliegen.beagle
Dues Happily Paid
Old 12-20-2018, 03:27 PM

I still need to connect my iPad via Bluetooth to my headset audio somehow so I can get the audible "Traffic!" alerts, and the others that Foreflight offers. Too cheap to buy a new headset.