- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Trailing edge wedge countersinking

Well after a lot of research, I started to countersink my Rudder trailing edge wedge yesterday morning (AEX wedge). I had been struggling with how to reconcile the fact that the hole I drilled through the wedge (and skins) when match drilling was perpendicular to the centerline of the wedge, yet the countersink should be perpendicular to the face of the wedge on each side. If using a pilot cutter in your countersink cage, this will most certaily apply a side load to the little pilot on the countersink cutter. Sure enough, after 10 or so holes, I ended up breaking the pilot off my bit. (#*@&!)

I recalled that on the my practice kit, I countersunk the wedge using a speed deburring tool, which is essentially a countersink cutter with no pilot. Turns out you can create the necessary c'sink with the deburr tool very effectively, if you apply some elbow grease. I then decided to disasseble my c'sink cage and mount the deburring bit in the holder and free hand the process using a drill. If your easy on the trigger and careful (check depth often), you can make great countersinks and my end result was fantastic. I did have to install the wedge into the rudder twice and check for proper nesting of dimples as some needed to go slightly deeper but I was able to finish the job while I wait for a new c'sink cutter to arrive (went with single flute this time).

All this to say, don't be afraid to try something a little different!

SB Wings to QB stage
Fuselage in progress
Finish kit/Engine/Prop Ordered

Last edited by Girraf : 12-10-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Default RVator

The RVator had a great little tip about cutting an angled groove into a piece of wood that would allow the wedge to sit flat and allow you to get a really nice countersink on a drill press. Look for "Another way to drill the wedgie" Cliff Goldman - 2004 6th

The link to what mine looks like is here. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f5Q7y0Lnkv...0/IMG_5853.JPG Took me a bit of guess and test on the table saw to get the right angle and depth. But it was a perfect way to countersink them. Drill a pilot hole for your countersink bit and the rest takes care of itself.

P.S. Be sure to countersink enough to get the skins relatively flat to the wedge. I didn't countersink enough had a very tiny gap that I had to fill with proseal/3m epoxy, so if you use that rather than the double sided tape your ahead of the game.

http://garetsrv.blogspot.ca/

Last edited by Aero_Octaveus : 12-10-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:50 PM

Default Cleaveland Tool

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Counte.../#.XA8JmopOlvI

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021)
RV-10 under construction at Synergy Air South
Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Airfoil kit

Seems like I took the wedge out of my airfoil kit to use as a backing piece.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:13 AM

I just hand hold the wedge and the countersink cage/drill motor and go to town. No special tools needed. Works fine.

I use a single flute bit. Be careful with them, they take a huge bite all at once!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook