Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2018, 07:59 AM

Default Don't Ignore Those Symptoms!

I hope sharing this with all of you may prevent what almost happened to me.

I have been ignoring my difficulties in passing urine for about a year. My annual blood test revealed a highly elevated creatinine level.

I was immediately sent to a hospital for a urinary tract ultrasound. I received a call by a urologist the following day (April 24) to report immediately to his office. I was asked during the call if I was in pain…I said no…I happen to be working on my airplane.

Now at the office, the doctor said, “Do you realize how sick you are?” I said, “No”. He replied, “If you wouldn’t have come in today to begin treatment, you would have been DEAD by May 7th. I said, “Oh my…that doesn’t sound good!.”

So, I am sitting here with a catheter installed and on meds. I see the doc on follow-up next Tuesday to see what menu item he will select.

At age 70+, I have been blessed with good health but I guess my stubbornness to acknowledge those symptoms almost done me in…I must now recognize my ironman days are over.

Please don’t ignore those symptoms.

Now…back to working on the airplane…need to finish by May 7th (just in case)!

Regards,
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 04-27-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 AM

Tom, I'm glad you and the doc caught it in time to prevent something more serious. I won't bore you all with my story, but yeah... don't shrug off unusual things happening, they may be symptoms of something more serious than you think (says the guy with two stents).

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 AM

Nice catch! It always surprises me when a date of peril is given. My wife asked me recently if I'd like to know the date of my death and I replied with a no, and why? She said "never mind."
Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 PM

No diagnosis?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamin9 View Post
No diagnosis?
Most likely BPH (enlarged prostate). But there could be other reasons for the blockage. If I react positively to the meds, then I will just stay on the meds. If not, or if my creatinine levels are still high, then other treatment options would be considered. I will know more on Tuesday.

I can tell you, within the first 18 hours of having the catheter installed, I lost 6.5 pounds!

Regards,

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 04-27-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:07 PM

Similar situation 2 years ago. Observed a slight discoloration in my urine and figured I had an infection. Went to my PCP and had an ultrasound just in case. Turned out I had a malignant golf ball sized tumor in my bladder. I was lucky that I went to the doctor for a look see. Caught it early and am cancer free as of last follow up exam. I've learned a lot over the past couple of years and the fact of the matter is the machine gets older and breaks down no matter how well it has performed in the past. Life and time passes like a roll of toilet paper: turns slowly in the beginning but really speeds up as we near the end. Enjoy every day.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmanrog View Post
... Life and time passes like a roll of toilet paper: turns slowly in the beginning but really speeds up as we near the end.
Thanks for the great analogy...and for a good laugh!

Regards,

Old 04-27-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmanrog View Post
Life and time passes like a roll of toilet paper: turns slowly in the beginning but really speeds up as we near the end. Enjoy every day.

Aw cr@p.... ;-)

-Marc
Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 AM

And do your PSAs!

Many people still say "Can't trust them; you can have false positives!"

That's true, but look at your PSA test in the same light as your oil pressure warning light: it could be a faulty light or the sender. In any event, you check it out.

My prostate cancer was picked up via PSA test.

Five weeks of radiation followed and after 13 years, PSA readings still below "1".

Do your **** PSAs! We don't need RV estate sales due to prostate cancer... (;>0)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:27 AM
Forum Peruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner69 View Post
And do your PSAs!

Many people still say "Can't trust them; you can have false positives!"

That's true, but look at your PSA test in the same light as your oil pressure warning light: it could be a faulty light or the sender. In any event, you check it out.

My prostate cancer was picked up via PSA test.

Five weeks of radiation followed and after 13 years, PSA readings still below "1".

Do your **** PSAs! We don't need RV estate sales due to prostate cancer... (;>0)
I totally agree, but I will also share that having a urinary catheter in place for an extended time (several days) CAN cause (not in all cases) high PSA readings several months later. It happened to me in 2009 after TWO heart surgeries in three weeks.

Just ask a lot of questions about the PSA. There are lots of answers.

Also, before making a decision based on high PSA indicators, request the 4Kscore Test for prostate cancer. It's another tool that can give you more information to make your decision.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Last edited by rv7boy : 05-01-2018 at 10:01 AM.