Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > California
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Hollywood Overfly How To?

Question for California locals. If you are on a VFR photo mission near Hollywood Sign how would you voice your request to ATC and where? The airspace seems saturated and terrain pretty high. Can I just talk to Burbank and ask? I've been on the other side of San Gabriel Mountains couple times but never crossed toward LA. The terminal chart looks very New Yorkish wondering if air traffic is that organized. Where else to fly scenic in the Basin?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:27 PM

I fly out of EMT and do this all the time when I want to take friends sightseeing! I'll call up SoCal Approach (for me it's on 135.05) and get on flight following. Other than the usual info, I'll say "requesting flight following for sightseeing around the Hollywood sign, returning EMT." Fly it at 2200 MSL to stay under the bravo. For me, I then make a right 180 back toward EMT and follow the freeway back. You'll be in Burbank airspace, but that's what the flight following is for.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:08 PM

Vlad:

What Reaver said.

I may have lived in the LA Basin for 30 years and flown my RV out of KCCB for 15-years and could not have said it better. From the east at KCCB, I would contact SoCAL approach on 125.5 for Flight Following. As I approached Burbank, I would get switched to 135.05. You may get switched again to 124.6 but maybe not.

It all depends on what direction you are coming from. Typically it is very difficult if not impossible to get in the the Bravo airspace but the Charlie is easy when they are not too busy.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Sounds like a fun loop. Make sure there's no game going on at Dodger Stadium so you don't bust the TFR. You could come in from the East over El Monte, fly over City Hall, then make a big right 180 and see the Hollywood sign and Griffith Park observatory, avoiding the "to surface" portion of Burbank's airspace entirely. You're also avoiding the terrain this way.

2200' is a good altitude. Anybody out there have trouble picking up SoCal approach that low?

If you want to fly along the coast, Laguna Beach and Dana Point are great to see from the air.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart

Last edited by rightrudder : 04-24-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
Sounds like a fun loop. Make sure there's no game going on at Dodger Stadium so you don't bust the TFR. You could come in from the East over El Monte, fly over City Hall, then make a big right 180 and see the Hollywood sign and Griffith Park observatory, avoiding the "to surface" portion of Burbank's airspace entirely. You're also avoiding the terrain this way.

2200' is a good altitude. Anybody out there have trouble picking up SoCal approach that low?

If you want to fly along the coast, Laguna Beach and Dana Point are great to see from the air.
Departing EMT I usually pick up SoCal at around 1600. 2200 keeps you well within reception range and still safely clear of the Bravo. If they're busy I'll occasionally lose them on decent for EMT, and then just need to go to tower without being told. Even when busy I've never had them prevent me from entering the BUR class C, just sometime you'll get a vector for traffic and a wake turbulence warning.

Vlad: where are you flying in from?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 PM

Thanks. Looking at the TAC more closely, it seems like you would need to be in the "to surface" circle of Burbank to get close enough to the sign for a decent picture.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 04-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Where else to fly scenic in the Basin?
You gotta' fly over LAX via the Mini Route and down the coast. I know you will be tempted, but DON'T land on the beach!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3kme6uwpv...rance.mp4?dl=0
Old 04-24-2018, 07:22 PM

Thank you guys much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Vlad: where are you flying in from?
Likely coming from the north tracking the shore all the way from Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
You gotta' fly over LAX via the Mini Route and down the coast. I know you will be tempted, but DON'T land on the beach!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3kme6uwpv...rance.mp4?dl=0
Cool. What's good at KTOA?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
What's good at KTOA?
Absolutely nothing. When I landed there, a weenie with a clipboard ran out and informed me that they knew where I lived and if my plane was too loud on takeoff, they would send me a citation. I'll never go back. The only reason I landed there was to meet a friend. We drove down to the ocean for lunch.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
Thanks. Looking at the TAC more closely, it seems like you would need to be in the "to surface" circle of Burbank to get close enough to the sign for a decent picture.
Yes, that's right. 95% of the time you'll just stay on with SoCal Approach - they're responsible for coordinating with BUR tower.

Quote:
Likely coming from the north tracking the shore all the way from Oregon.
In that case I would be on flight following and drop down to 3500 somewhere west of the LA basin, making sure to be south of the 101 freeway (look for Agoura Hills on the left side of your image). Otherwise you're in the way of final for BUR and won't get much help from approach. Then when you feel safe, drop to 2200 before that part of the bravo and advise SoCal of your intentions. Continue eastbound to whatever destination you had planned, or turn around between BUR and EMT.

I met a controller from SoCal TRACON who said that in one year (2015?) there were ~6.2 million flights in their airspace, and ~60% of those were on 1200. Just talking to SoCal makes them happy to help you most of the time, because they'd much rather know what you're doing than have you on 1200 and trying to guess!