- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:58 PM

Default Fuel

Do you have the ability to use MOGAS with your engine? Reason I ask is that Subaru engines have a history of stuck rings when running 100LL. If you have to use 100LL I recommend using Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel. This helps keep the rings free. Youíll notice a stuck ring in the way the engine cranks when starting and when you turn over the engine by hand. I had one once and was able to free it up by removing a spark plug and dumping in MMO. I knew you arenít using a Subaru, but any auto engine uses tight tolerance on the rings. For anyone suggesting Decalin , I was using it as directed on every tank of fuel when I got my stuck ring.

-Andy
Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinsona View Post
Do you have the ability to use MOGAS with your engine? Reason I ask is that Subaru engines have a history of stuck rings when running 100LL. If you have to use 100LL I recommend using Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel. This helps keep the rings free. You’ll notice a stuck ring in the way the engine cranks when starting and when you turn over the engine by hand. I had one once and was able to free it up by removing a spark plug and dumping in MMO. I knew you aren’t using a Subaru, but any auto engine uses tight tolerance on the rings. For anyone suggesting Decalin , I was using it as directed on every tank of fuel when I got my stuck ring.

-Andy
Andy,

Thanks. I have been using MMO from just about hour one. I think Im using about 2 oz per 5 gal. I always use 92 Octange. I have not used 100LL yet, but of course I will when I go cross country. I did buy Decalin when I go beyond Phase 1....(hard to make a decision on MMO vs Decalin when experiences vary...) but I do like the MMO - but my experience is limited and arguably anecdotal on my part).

P.S. what CS hub are you using with Warp Drive blades?
https://vansairforce.com/community/s...158610&page=70
2021 Dues paid

Last edited by charosenz : 11-24-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Charlie -

You can ask for PAPR report for any of your flights. You can ask for yesterday's flight if you flew in Rule Airspace. Worst that can happen is report come back with insufficient data. No problem, just try again on another flight. I ask for PAPR on most of my flights just for the heck of it while sitting in living room easy chair drinking cold one...
Thanks Jim,

I am going to have to re-read up on that again soon. I have avoided Rule airspace during Phase 1 but of course that will happen in my near future.
2021 Dues paid
Old 11-24-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Good to see your progress Charlie!! One thing, someone suggested a magnetic plug inside the gear box, that is a really good idea. I had the company gear (engineering research) experts reporting to me at one time and learned a ton about gears in the industry. It is hard to spec and source gears, and some will shed particles as they break in. Monitoring that is a really good idea. Particularly with a low volume gear like you have. If they are shedding particles continuously, ground the plane! It means they are wearing out and not in - a bad surface hardness and heat treatment. Cloudy oil is likely metal, but you need to catch it long before that.

Trust is ok, but please verify.
I agree. BTW , one of my favorite quotes from Ronald Regan, a great USA leader, Trust but verify.
2021 Dues paid
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
Andy,

P.S. what CS hub are you using with Warp Drive blades?
Itís a 3 blade hub from italy called Quinti. Theyíre out of business. I believe that they also made 4 blade hubs. Both versions come up for sale occasionally. Thereís an electric adjustable prop from Australia that I saw at Oshkosh a couple of years ago that looked even better. Canít remember the name, Iíll try to find it.

-Andy
Old 11-24-2020, 11:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinsona View Post
Thereís an electric adjustable prop from Australia that I saw at Oshkosh a couple of years ago that looked even better. Canít remember the name, Iíll try to find it.

-Andy
Sounds like the Airmaster.

I have a couple friends using them, they really like the prop.

https://www.propellor.com/

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-25-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Yup

Itís the Airmaster from New Zealand. If I were looking for a replacement, thatís what I would be looking at.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:08 PM

Default airmaster

OK. That is good to know, thanks.

As much as I like the idea of a in flight variable pitch prop, I am going to try to keep things "as is" for a while to really get settled in with things the way they are. I have had my share of challenges, ( intercom, brake cylinder, fuel pump).....but fortunately, I think most of them have been fixed. At 24 hours now, I want to see some more relaxed flying before I change things up a bit.

It has been very rewarding though, and something I am very glad I did. And, yes, I do think this engine is a viable concept for this airframe....
2021 Dues paid
Old 11-27-2020, 11:07 PM

Default hard climb info on PSRU

I did some hard climb tests today.

Normally in level cruise the engine/gearbox seems to settle in best at 4500RPM and depending on altitude about 25" of MAP. The gearbox stays about 190-195F

During hard climbout after take off at about 35" MAP and 4800rpm, about 1000FPM.....the gearbox rose slowly to about 225F when I had reached about 7000 ft. I had to level off to let it cool off. OAT was about 45F MSL and about 32F at 10K.

When I reduce the climb to about 500fpm the box stayed at about 200F.

I have not added my second blast tube to the top of the gearbox yet, but I absolutely will do that on the next rainy day I cannot fly.
2021 Dues paid
Old 12-09-2020, 10:55 PM

Default On long cross country flight from WA to KY

Im on a long cross country from WA to KY. Im in Pahrump NV. I will fly south of Las Vegas then folliw US40 east. So far so good. Im texting on my phone so ill keep it short.

Feel free to ask questions.
2021 Dues paid