- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM

Default Altinator failure

So there I was 30 miles to go navigating through the rain and wind trying to get home, then a battery warning light comes on, O **** I knew instantly I had to take action and start load shedding electricity to keep the computer alive to fire the sparkplugs to keep the engine running, as the battery is on a limited life and draining quick, if the battery dies, the engine dies! I needed to decide what goes off NOW, all lights off, It was getting dark and could barley see, all fans and heat OFF, windscreen started fogging up and it was getting cold, then the engine rpm started fluctuating unexpectedly, WHAT THE!, more warning lights started coming on the panel and then the most scary, the engine started to miss and started shaking bad, then no power, them more power and stumbling, very worried I was not going to make it home, it then started slowing down and I got real scared! then I touched on the brakes and those lights brought the computer operational voltage below operational threshold and the engine Died! I used the very last amount of velocity to make the final turn.............into the driveway. WHEW! yes this was in my car tonight, but it was good practice for my all electric Fuel and IGN powered RV! my goodness I hope I never have to experience this in the air.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 PM

This had me worried for you! Which makes me wonder, why would anyone want 100% electronic ignition and fuel in an airplane? Do the advantages out weigh my perceived negatives to this system? Unless my understanding of the system is wrong, like you said when the battery dies so does the engine. Even in airliners, if all the electrical power is lost, you will still have the engines. Why would anyone chance an electrical failure making your engine quit?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 PM

Bret, You had us there for a while. I had that same feeling when I was on the way home in my daughter's TOTALLY electric car ....and a message came on the car's info screen, (YOU MAY WANT TO TURN OFF THE RADIO TO EXTEND YOUR MILAGE!) I didn't think a radio was going to make all that much difference. I made it home with fifteen minutes to spare. No total electric car for me.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 PM

Well, just sharing an experience driving home that was related to my emergency procedures as far as load shedding, in the plane, I do have an Earth X battery that will run the essentials for an hour, then a backup battery comes online for another 2 hours, two fuel pumps, two IGN systems, two computer ECMs. In the car it was just amazing how fast things started failing, transmission OD, ABS, timing, no windows up down, wipers, radio, blinkers, horn, lights, shifting, defroster, heater......radar detector
Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 PM

You guys are hilarious.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Well, just sharing an experience driving home that was related to my emergency procedures as far as load shedding, in the plane, I do have an Earth X battery that will run the essentials for an hour, then a backup battery comes online for another 2 hours, two fuel pumps, two IGN systems, two computer ECMs. In the car it was just amazing how fast things started failing, transmission OD, ABS, timing, no windows up down, wipers, radio, blinkers, horn, lights, shifting, defroster, heater......radar detector

Makes complete sense! It never dawned on me that an all electric system would have more than one battery/ source of power. That shows my ignorance on how these systems are set up! I think the airlines have me thinking old school when it comes to system design.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort04 View Post
Makes complete sense! It never dawned on me that an all electric system would have more than one battery/ source of power. That shows my ignorance on how these systems are set up! I think the airlines have me thinking old school when it comes to system design.
How many aircraft out there are flying IFR with reliance on electricity for operations? How do you think they do it? Backup systems - that's how - and if you're going to have backup systems that are good enough to save your rear end in the weather for nav, there's not much difference from there to saving your rear end for power too. You just have to have backups that you have faith in.

If your night IMC, it doesn't matter if the screens go dark or the engine goes quiet - either way your done. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
How many aircraft out there are flying IFR with reliance on electricity for operations? How do you think they do it? Backup systems - that's how - and if you're going to have backup systems that are good enough to save your rear end in the weather for nav, there's not much difference from there to saving your rear end for power too. You just have to have backups that you have faith in.

If your night IMC, it doesn't matter if the screens go dark or the engine goes quiet - either way your done. In for a penny, in for a pound.
I agree 100%, but most planes don't rely completely on electricity to keep the engine running. That was my only point, an airliner can go completely dark with all back ups failed, but the engines will run, as well as every plane I have ever flown. I know there is some improved technology out there that ill need to research when it comes time to design systems.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 AM

Nothing like a great post that makes you THINK!

Thanks

"Miss Sue"

RV-8 80749 slow build taildragger
7.5 year build first flight Dec 2005
SOLD at 540 hours and 10 years of FUN
N68AK
Watkinsville, Georgia
Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Most impressive tale!

You got me, I was in the cockpit with you imagining how to shed power to conserve juice.......... and then the driveway showed up!

Have you ever thought of writing thrillers for a living?

When desining my panel with a mission of Day / Night VFR I thought of that very thing and that is why my plane has old school MAgnetos, although sometime in future i might swap out one.

Maintained they will always work!

The panel has a centrally mounted 10 Skyview but I have a portable Bendix AV8OR to help navigagte and I always carry maps.

The Airspeed is pitot supplied and non electric as the Steam gauge RPM is connected via cable. So this thing should fly and well with no power....

Still that little tale sure had me thinking, thanks for that

DAve
Wings complete

Dynon installed and running
Fuse closer to completion, Canopy complete
AME reviewed and repaired O-320-Lyc installed