- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Ding in wood prop. Repairable?

Aymar-Demuth epoxy-on-wood on a 150 hp o-320. Repairable? Advice?

Link to the Flicker photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davehi...r/37950394915/
Old 12-04-2017, 02:36 PM

I would call another prop manufacturer to be sure, but I think that is repairable unless the underlying wood is damaged. Once upon a time, Mike Demuth told me to fill nicks to the leading edge with JB weld, sand to shape, and move on. That looks like your situation.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 12-04-2017, 02:36 PM

Default Same prop

Buddy of mine has the same prop on a -4 180hp --- it needed some TLC and he sent it to Sensenich in Plant City, FL ---- came back in beautiful condition.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 12-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Years ago, they repaired one for me (not even their prop) that had a 3-4" long split due to some idiotic maintenance person letting the prop go while doing a compression test. They said they use industrial strength 'Krazy glue', iso-whatever to glue cracks. (Since I do all my own maintenance, the idiot will remain unnamed.)

A neighbor had a bigger chunk than that knocked out of a brand new Prince P-tip prop, and it was repaired successfully. edit: IIRC, Prince told my neighbor the same thing Demuth told Kyle.

If A-D is still around, give them a shout; someone there will almost certainly fix it for you, or tell you how to proceed.

Nicks in wood props are nowhere near the big deal they are in metal.

Charlie

Last edited by rv7charlie : 12-04-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:40 PM

Default EAA Video

This may help:
http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/2111048001

But if it is just wood with an epoxy coating/paint, I would proceed with caution. Aymar-DeMuth made both laminated maple as well as wood/composite props, so be sure which you have before you start.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:40 PM

Unless you are really sure you know what you are doing, I think this is a repair to be made by a prop manufacturer.

Remember that prop is going very fast and is VERY critical. A prop repair failure can easily be catastrophic!
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>

Last edited by Mel : 12-05-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Agreed.

I agree with Mell on this one. We have a Prince and love it, but it was one of the older carbon over wood props. It had the older legging edge protectors and found a few good sized stones a couple of times. We repaired it with epoxy per Princes instructions and it did very well. When it picked up another we took it back up to him and had the new style leading edges installed. It now is like a Timex and takes every thing from rain to small rocks. A good wood prop is most often field repairable and even though we can and have done this, I would urge you to run it by a maker of wood props. You can send it to a good maker and they will restore it for just a few hundred dollars and it will be as good as new, that is one of the good things about wood props if you take care of them. It is hard to see in a picture some times, but I think I see you have just broken the gel-coat down to the wood itself. I think you have a good repairable prop here. Just my two cents, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Default AD long gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I would call another prop manufacturer to be sure, but I think that is repairable unless the underlying wood is damaged. Once upon a time, Mike Demuth told me to fill nicks to the leading edge with JB weld, sand to shape, and move on. That looks like your situation.
Kyle, AD is no more but others are saying Sensenich. I may call them. The damage is deeper than just the gelcoat. Some wood is involved.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Unless you are really sure you know what you are doing, I think this is a repair to be made by a prop manufacturer.

Remember that prop is going very fast and is VERY critical. A prop repair failure can easily be catastrophic!
Good words and I agree.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Wood Prop Manufacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anglin View Post
I agree with Mell on this one. We have a Prince and love it, but it was one of the older carbon over... I would urge you to run it by a maker of wood props. You can send it to a good maker and they will restore it for just a few hundred dollars and it will be as good as new, that is one of the good things about wood props if you take care of them. It is hard to see in a picture some times, but I think I see you have just broken the gel-coat down to the wood itself. I think you have a good repairable prop here. Just my two cents, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Robert,

Can you suggest some manufacturers to go to? I have Sensenich and Prince, but who else is out there?