What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The resurrection of RV-7 #100 "Well c**p that's bent" edition.

Ryano

While sorting through all the various bits and pieces of RV-7 #100 Empennage I've found one item so far that looks damaged, either from it's 16 years in hibernation, or the "love and care" of UPS.

So.... First problem. What to do about this?

The VS-808PP Vertical Spar Plate has a pronounced curve in it as seen below.

M4JMqdB5Ab3CGDor6TaMWKfmqqNrBgpzK4geJlaBy0zUtPZL13p9RI3VWZVzJ1eVWjoffpl76CMpo1C3Ppiqv6XTq04DgQWxh5JBnPyJiXPwQwwLsGNFlAv7ni4Uy2PAnIgqlTzrrOn9Q08YW5NbEj1RXacbUaNTDsJ1NZTC7gBUxtBSBCSeUCvz_gu6cSAm1KhFLiwzt5iiNj1xTgdiVxSC7rFjYA_GcnrhNkZDfPSn3G9PuJWkig218XFNEDe5S5Na3u1mu-EADUpQ6QGPw6b3GuCcN9LR6WIOukMk5tI79T6Z3Du05KTWPqvxvlzyi9Wx0Cu5aZ2spTgnVevFh6SvHJ1l2-oeWofTae0IrLWkiriDctQdZtK2EjUkYYs6bhPjRcJcEQbgYlRd-TdVTL0IsvDDYAaYbfWrLyspfK6WG-KZIKD7VJSXoXunxWDde7wjO1iLsUzQ63JFTmNUhfPiTKFaAipibW_BVoBB3pdl53Vy9zeY_LKxZIwEZZCe3fSq5R_baixK2U-TNw1ecyAQAx1dWoWxbtEYGqV1eARkv1LvGyxUlNcVm21GTV0ZOp6Hnj-MhHgmOAxrClsXscr17_rAtlADlZHjZMAL9PP7Dk_rabooUI1B2OPUiUeNnnMjDYlJcYf8KGpPRvhun4GUvaU2Cxw6eU0=s800-no
nU5v1u9EX0cZlq4S51sN8YmHDlftyttLWzj1dvvOfVlyxaleFKO9GSIwJzviY-tJBG9x7t8qhKT9v5EmBNtBC5Yc2RuuRdFovcn_5LAL_SPOJD3_H4kVIV603Q98ysN24WsAgRr1QRUA0ZISfkOdyMLY9UjoSDxW2bliSRT4iCYHHXhBIHZVpP52775Tj-MVAPfrOqSzftyPAenCg6wo3sXfLLq-_UDOgAKaUf-2eBlIdAeUFgPf0rNl-K4JREPQHxqMHlRbm_ZrXa920gd3YfCpyQW_lWSKxKCV8iWrKDAfQzP8egJtQmPkBv-oeJy65N7de2sX70LnJvpxPs4G4o0DXtQD2SfSLW5BGhypaEIv_on2QyIsaXbp_RpqgufQINWml6BEXJwiiNZOlzPQgvIrUz3P50Q5wzqOL-quz6Wj9_VpFXDMVnfzqxxuahKWcZv8_dSbCJ1LQ9sseHqvyNz_OBgnFjWtxotvQ5LDz7oQp_snPNzz9uS_MxRfV3QFyz76KE-1bH2WRcJcpdG3AFVTE4BrfE-IvGNcmW6bStdl9xZmi-qXIHzJuu-isz4fAYgcBa-GX4jK2hsrz_26wSZLx93FuBqOoAg45eal-qVAIgVEsXRfsFDFOri4IXLgAeVYHngUYcAyYrlQnHq-CoNVcap7OejSUDc=s800-no

The options I'm thinking about are.....

1) Try and straighten it out and hope I don't make things worse.

2) Cleco it "as is" and drive the rivets home. It'll be fine!

3) Bite the bullet early and order a new one.

Seeing as I purchased a second hand kit at considerable savings I've budgeted a certain amount of overhead in dollars for situations like this, but the more of that budget I can hold on to.....

Straighten it out. Put it on your work bench and flex it till it is straight. They are all bowed like that from being stamped out. It'll be fine.

I think most of us had the same issue. I posted this very question a little over a year ago. The responses were excellent with one suggesting that I put it over my knee and slowly work it out.

It's not really my style to make anything that easy :eek: , but I tried it. Fifteen minutes later it was straight.

Best of Luck,

Fred

Yup

I think most of us had the same issue. I posted this very question a little over a year ago. The responses were excellent with one suggesting that I put it over my knee and slowly work it out.

It's not really my style to make anything that easy :eek: , but I tried it. Fifteen minutes later it was straight.

Best of Luck,

Fred

Mine came curved way worse than in the OP's photo. I had an old tire laying around at this point in my build. Used it as a sort of a form to straighten the part out. Worked great.

Last edited:
I am surprised that no one referenced the construction manual as this is specifically referenced in section 5.13.1.
The above responses are all not the best method and will not do as good a job as the example in the manual. Here is the text; the manual has a picture (figure) that helps illustrate the procedure.

5.13.1 STRAIGHTENING THICK ALUMINUM PARTS
NOTE: Some thick (.125 [3.2 mm] or thicker) aluminum parts, such as the
(F-01411C Horizontal Stabilizer Attachment Bars in the RV-14) may be
bowed due to the punching operation used during their manufacture.
Use the following process to straighten any other thick aluminum
part prior to installation.
Clamp one end of the part in a padded vice
(padded with wood, aluminum, etc).
Pre-load the free end of the attachment bar in
the direction required to straighten it. Using a
rubber mallet, firmly strike the part once near
the vice.
Slide the part further into the vice, pre-load,
and strike the bar again.
Repeat as necessary until the part is straight
within 1/16 [1.6 mm] along its entire length.

Last edited:
That's the low-drag "speed curve", just make sure it bends in the direction of airflow. :rolleyes:

Kidding.

Totally normal.

Even if you don't straighten it stand-alone, the spar flanges and skin holes will pull it back straight.

Straightening alum parts.

Hi Ryan,

If it can help you, see below the Van's advises to straighten aluminium bended parts.

Eric

RV14A
Empennage, wings and fuse done.
F-PJEM reserved

Back