- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Default Rudder Repair

I have a bought -7A that rode out Harvey in Houston. Only issues were water over the wheels and slight damage to the rudder due to rudder lock breaking. Insurance says I need two bids for repair. Any suggestions in the Houston area? Airplane is flyable (after wheels/brakes repaired). Thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-2017, 03:02 PM

How much damage? Are you going to do the repair yourself?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
How much damage? Are you going to do the repair yourself?
Very slight ding where rudder blew into elevator. I will not be doing the work. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:59 AM

Default Be careful

Hi

I had a similar issue with a small ding in the side of my rudder. What I didn't realise was that twist that was placed on the rudder to get it to touch the elevator was significant. It looked fine, but it was severely out of balance on takeoff. I had not seen the ding in the rudder during preflight.

The best course of action in this case, and all the advice I got from other builders and the Tech Councillors from the SAAA (Sports Aircraft Association Australia) was to "build a new rudder".

I did so and in the process built a better rudder and no longer needed the rudder "wedge" to keep the ball centred. I think, as a builder, building the rudder the second time enabled me to use skills I didn't have the first time around.

My advice would be find someone to build you a new rudder. The parts aren't that expensive from Vans in the scheme of the plane.

Cheers

Wayne
RV7A
Western Australia
Old 09-07-2017, 07:39 AM

I too suggest a new rudder. Shipping is not a big deal, so expand your search well outside the Houston area, and have it built by an RV pro familiar with the double flush riveted trailing edge.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 AM

Default + 100%

The travel the rudder has to go in-order to contact the trailing edge of the El's is over 4" if it is adjusted and built well. Please consider replacing your rudder with a new one, once it has been flexed that much. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 AM

PM Sent about the rudder
Old 09-07-2017, 08:52 AM

Hmmm. Nothing wrong with rebuilding of course, but I'm a little surprised with the responses given the very limited damage described. I had a small gash in mine due to a broken gust lock and impact with the elevator and was readily given repair advice from Vans. Repair completed a few hundred hours ago and everything good here. You might want to consider sending a photo in to Vans and ask their opinion.

Erich
Old 09-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I too was concerned about damage that could have been done to the rudder with the extreme flexing necessary to hit the elevator. If insurance agrees, this is the route I will take. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anglin View Post
The travel the rudder has to go in-order to contact the trailing edge of the El's is over 4" if it is adjusted and built well. Please consider replacing your rudder with a new one, once it has been flexed that much. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
4", really?

To the original poster - what is the nominal clearance from the elevator to the rudder on your plane? Knowing that dimension will clarify how much the rudder flexed.

I have a 6A, and I'd guess nominal clearance is 1/2-3/4".