What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight price hike

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
When did Foreflight basic increase there price to $100? Seems like a year ago I paid $75. Ummm 25% price hike.

When did Foreflight basic increase there price to $100? Seems like a year ago I paid $75.
I'm guessing that was so they could continue to provide the absolutely fantastic software that they are known for. :D I'm not wealthy by any means, but I pay extra for the "pro" version and the synthetic vision. Foreflight/Stratus is my primary means of navigation and I feel like my life may depend on ForeFlight someday. It's important to me that they stay in business and keep improving their product. Their geo-referencing on the airport diagram really helps me to avoid embarrassment by getting lost when taxiing at an unfamiliar airport. Their recent "glide ring" enhancement is a another great safety feature. On the rare occasions when I have flown VFR over a cloud layer with mountains below, their synthetic vision was a real comfort. ForeFlight is worth much more to me than what I am paying.

Everyone likes what they got. That said, IMHO WingX is almost as good on the ground, and better (IMHO) in the air, than Foreflight. And now, 25% cheaper. If you're unhappy, you do have a choice. Vote with your feet.

Everyone likes what they got. That said, IMHO WingX is almost as good on the ground, and better (IMHO) in the air, than Foreflight. And now, 25% cheaper. If you're unhappy, you do have a choice. Vote with your feet.

And WingX soon to offer a limited VFR version for free.

And WingX soon to offer a limited VFR version for free.

This s true. But since "limited vfr" will apparently not include weather, I consider it too limited for real use. But useful for new users to see if they like it or not, sort of a free trial.

9 times out of ten, I am able to find open-source or freeware type software that works for me. In this case, FF just keeps coming through with new features that I actually find myself using, and nobody else offering - at least not all in one package. I'll admit I don't enjoy paying that much for anything, but I do feel like their product is worth it.

Chris

IFly software is with a look. I use it for VFR navigation, and have been happy with it for years. I've also used foreflight on occasion to see what I was missing. I always go back to iFly.

But I don't see where the Uavionix Echo ADS-B can relay weather and traffic on Foreflight but it does with several other flight plan apps. I just installed the Echo and that's why I'm researching this.

I'm guessing that was so they could continue to provide the absolutely fantastic software that they are known for. :D I'm not wealthy by any means, but I pay extra for the "pro" version and the synthetic vision. Foreflight/Stratus is my primary means of navigation and I feel like my life may depend on ForeFlight someday. It's important to me that they stay in business and keep improving their product. Their geo-referencing on the airport diagram really helps me to avoid embarrassment by getting lost when taxiing at an unfamiliar airport. Their recent "glide ring" enhancement is a another great safety feature. On the rare occasions when I have flown VFR over a cloud layer with mountains below, their synthetic vision was a real comfort. ForeFlight is worth much more to me than what I am paying.

Plus 1 totally agree , and its user friendly unllike all the hotshot stuff.

When did the price go up? I just got my renewal reminder that indicated I'd be charged 74.99 in a couple weeks.

Well it must have just happened as it shows a price of $99.99.....hundred bucks for BASIC version now when I wanted to renew. Now I am looking at the other options out there.

I find very few variations in the top EFB brands. All will basically do the same thing, just have to click to it different.

Well it doesn't give me the option for the 74.99 plan. I'll have to contact support.

If you already logged into their site, then first click "Buy Now"... then scroll down all the way to the bottom and click on "Build your own plan"... that's how you can get the Basic plan for 74.99

On the FF website, under the "Build Your Own Plan" page, it still offers the option of "ForeFlight Basic ($74.99/yr)"

https://foreflight.com/pricing

Carl is correct.

IF one whats the new "Aeronautical Maps" that was added a year or so ago, it is an extra $25 and results in the ForeFlight Basic Plus plan.

My Pro plan renewed this year at the $149.99 price but I upgraded to the new last year "Aeronautical Maps" for the extra $50. The Aeronautical Maps can make the iPad look very similar to a Garmin 396 / 496 GPS display with additional info. It also can overlay the sectionals with additional useful info.

I used the new updated ForeFlight on my round trip Oshkosh AirVenture 2017 trip. It is nice but as a 6 or 7-year ForeFlight user it is my opinion that it is not worth an additional $25 or in my case $50 for the Pro Plus version. Have not tried the IFR part yet to see what I get other than the Aeronautical Maps for the $50.

IFly software is with a look. I use it for VFR navigation, and have been happy with it for years. I've also used foreflight on occasion to see what I was missing. I always go back to iFly.

My experience also. I have currently FlyQ (lifetime), Garmin Pilot, iFly and ForeFlight on my iPad, both Pilot and iFly on my Android smartphone and iFly on my Windows laptop. iFly is my default go to app no matter the platform (as listed above it supports all platforms). I like FlyQ's minimum menu philosophy and the new camera/HUD trick built in. ForeFlight is fine with more complex menus and drill down. Pilot is my least favorite but I tolerate it only due to the Connex features for Garmin flight decks and navigators.

But I really really like iFly app. VFR or IFR versions. And the company, Adventure Pilot. I also appreciate their non-proprietary approach to 3rd party hardware (FlyQ scores equivalently on this playing well with others). I jump around between EFB software a lot and usually have one or two competitive apps running at the same time in flight. But if I could only pick one of the lot iFly is the winner. I always have it on the quick draw.

Jim

I prefer FlyQ. I too am a fan of their 2-tap max philosophy. That and they include geo-referenced taxi diagrams with their VFR subscription, as well as synthetic vision. I have the IFR subscription at $150 for 3 years, they do sales around Black Friday sometimes too.

I rarely use the EFB for actual flight planning though, I use skyvector for that.

For 100% less than you're paying now, you could install FltPlanGo and have everything you really need, and not have to waste a lot of time trying to figure out FF's pricing structure.

For 100% less than you're paying now, you could install FltPlanGo and have everything you really need, and not have to waste a lot of time trying to figure out FF's pricing structure.

Same with Avare, if you're willing to pry Apple's hands off your throat.

It is no surprise at everybody supports what they use, both because they like it and to defend the fact at they use it. Personally, I am a ForeFlight user and have been since they first came out. I now have the top plan they offer and use nothing but their Aeronautical charts for navigation (Sectionals are way too cluttered IMHO) and I use them for all weather and flight planning as well as IFR filing. I also use their logbook since LogTen stopped fixing bugs in their "pay once" version in favor of the subscription version.

I have heard good things about WingX and I know some people who really like it. I know some people who use FltPln because it is free. I run into people once in a while that use Garmin Pilot. Most people I run into use ForeFlight and I do still consider it the premier EFB. With the cost of aviation and other databases and options out there, I consider the $150-175/yr that I spend on ForeFlight an extremely small portion of my annual aviation expense, and I'm sure it is the same for most, especially when spending $200-500/month for hangar, $1,000+ in many cases for insurance, and so on. The safety it adds to my flying is priceless.

All of this IMHO.

It is no surprise at everybody supports what they use, both because they like it and to defend the fact at they use it. Personally, I am a ForeFlight user and have been since they first came out. I now have the top plan they offer and use nothing but their Aeronautical charts for navigation (Sectionals are way too cluttered IMHO) and I use them for all weather and flight planning as well as IFR filing. I also use their logbook since LogTen stopped fixing bugs in their "pay once" version in favor of the subscription version.

I have heard good things about WingX and I know some people who really like it. I know some people who use FltPln because it is free. I run into people once in a while that use Garmin Pilot. Most people I run into use ForeFlight and I do still consider it the premier EFB. With the cost of aviation and other databases and options out there, I consider the $150-175/yr that I spend on ForeFlight an extremely small portion of my annual aviation expense, and I'm sure it is the same for most, especially when spending $200-500/month for hangar, $1,000+ in many cases for insurance, and so on. The safety it adds to my flying is priceless.

All of this IMHO.

Opinion shared by me.

The price I pay for ForeFlight Pro Plus added to the cost of a new iPad every two or three years is less money than buying paper charts.

We're Spoiled!

I have been a Foreflight user since my first flight. No complaints, great customer service, and regular improvements in capabilities. Although not a user, comments indicate the other apps are just as capable, although different in presentation.

As an old guy who did manual flight planning and used cut up strip charts with time ticks for my Navy low levels, I am continually amazed by the capabilities of these digital wonders. Cost per year of less than one tank of gas seems like a real bargain for the capabilities instantly delivered to my iPad.

When I went to renew my Foreflight subscription I was routed to a page that didnt have the plain Basic plan listed, only the $100 Basic plus or higher plans. Only until after I went to the Foreflight email telling me that my subscription was about to expire and following the link was I able to find the Basic plan still available. Even then I had to scroll all the way down the page to Build Your Own Plan that routed me to a another page that I finally see the Basic plan still available.

Also, regarding whether it will communicate with Uavionix Echo ADSb, the Uavionix web page does not list Foreflight as one of the EFB apps that it can send data to. But, some distributors of Uavionix products do list Foreflight as a compatible app to receive data. I haven't tried it yet so time will tell.

Trying to unlock the mysteries.

Last edited:
I Have iFly on a Galaxy pad and ForeFlight on my iPad Pro. For whatever reason when flying I find I have the iPad on the floor and the Galaxy with iFly on my lap and running. I like both and pay for both but seem to use iFly more in the air even though I plan with ForeFlight.

One long X-Country

Opinion shared by me.

The price I pay for ForeFlight Pro Plus added to the cost of a new iPad every two or three years is less money than buying paper charts.

i discovered this a few years ago on a trip from AZ to the GA coast with a loop through TN and return via LA.

One single long trip required 11 sectionals that cost more than the basic Foreflight subscription, and some of those maps expired a week after I used them.

I've been a Foreflight user since, but now my IPad II is sort of getting obsolete. :)

Last edited:
i discovered this a few years ago on a trip from AZ to the GA coast with a loop through TN and return via LA.

One single long trip required 11 sctionals that cost more than the basic Foreflight subscription, and some of those maps expired a week after I used them.

I've been a Foreflight user since, but now my IPad II is sort of getting obsolete. :)

+1. I recall a coast to coast flight with a Jepp "trip kit" - a large cardboard box full of approach plates and enroute charts. And I think it cost over $100 for that one time use.

ForeFlight!!

Foreflight is definitely my go to flight planning software and even with the higher new price it is a bargain.
Pros:
1. Easiest downloads of any flight planning software that I know of.
2. Very intuitive.
3. coupled with DUATS file and brief satisfies flight planning requirements.

Cons:
.......... Can't think of any.:)

Foreflight is definitely my go to flight planning software and even with the higher new price it is a bargain.
Pros:
2. Very intuitive.

Cons:

Add another PRO -

4. Current maps always available wherever there is a wifi connection.

Add another PRO -

4. Current maps always available wherever there is a wifi connection.

Not sure what you mean by that. My iPad can store all the sectionals, ifr enroute, and approach plates, so I only need a wifi connection to update them. I believe WingX uses more compression than Foreflight, so you can store everything with less memory.

Not sure what you mean by that. My iPad can store all the sectionals, ifr enroute, and approach plates, so I only need a wifi connection to update them. I believe WingX uses more compression than Foreflight, so you can store everything with less memory.

I was comparing tablet solutions to paper charts...:)

See my cost comment earlier.

Pros:
2. Very intuitive.

Cons:

They also email you an expected route when filing IFR as well as your expected squawk code. That's last part is a nice new feature.

cellular works

Current maps always available wherever there is a wifi connection.
If your iPad has cellular, you can get them that way in a pinch (...unless you happen to be in parts of the Country where there is no Verizon coverage. I had to go to McDonalds in Ravenswood, WV and use their WiFi to get a weather briefing.) Speaking of cellular, it seems curious that people complain about spending $100 per year for ForeFlight, when their cellular bill is probably $100 per month. My Verizon bill is that much and I hate it. Their minimum data plan is 5 GB per month - way more than I need.

I use FlyQ. They used to be the AOPA app until Jeppesen woke up and saw the business they were losing. They supply data for a lot of vendors and do most of what FF does for a lot less money. You can get lifetime VFR data for about $250.

One word...Garmin Pilot. Whoops, that is two words! With an all Garmin panel, makes sense to us. Plus, the Garmin Geeks will be onboard!

Ok, try this...FltPlan Go (www.FltPlan.com)

Last edited:
Back