Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blain View Post
There wont be getting around the dead links to any photobucket image. Even with a new image host who would go back through all their posts over the years just to re insert new links?

The usefulness of VAF after Dec 31 just took a serious blow.

I feel like a sucker having relied on the free level of Photobucket.
The usefulness is certainly diminished to some degree with the loss of some of our photo history but the information and helpfulness contained in this site far overshadows that loss.

Using "free" commercial sites is always a risk but even the paid services go out of business - happens all the time in the internet small business environment.

I used PhotoBucket to host my photos but I haven't posted all that many. I picked a few that I really wanted and moved them to www.halie.com and edited the links. Wasn't hard.

The hardest part was finding the posts the contained photos. It would be real handy if there were a way to search for our posts that had photos. In the Advanced Search, if I could have done a "Search by User Name" for posts that contained the string "[IMG]" it would have made that easy.
EAA #51411
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015; 765 hrs as of 02/2022
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project; first flight 05/18/2019
SPA Panther N26TK; First Flight 03/13/2020; 175 hrs as of 02/2022

Last edited by tomkk : 07-07-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:09 PM

Well I just deleted every single one of my pictures from Photobucket and ended my account.

It became completely impossible to do anything on the web page with the endless and numerous pop-ups. Naturally they want money to eliminate the ads.

No way.

So I no longer have an account there.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Exclamation Use google search

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post

The hardest part was finding the posts the contained photos. It would be real handy if there were a way to search for our posts that had photos. In the Advanced Search, if I could have done a "Search by User Name" for posts that contained the string "[IMG]" it would have made that easy.
I think a google search will do what you want instead of a VAF search.

In my case a Google search using "photobucket az_gila site://www.vansairforce.com/" seems to bring up links to my posts with pictures
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 07-07-2017, 04:28 PM

Boy, you get one heckuva long link when you right-click and "Copy Image Address" in Google Photos:

But it does work:

That's on a Mac. Now I need to figure out how to do it on my iPad. And it's not immediately obvious how to post a smaller image.

Never mind - just change the number after the last little "w" to something like 600 (in this case from 1088) and the height adjusts automatically.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B : 07-07-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
I think a google search will do what you want instead of a VAF search.

In my case a Google search using "photobucket az_gila site://www.vansairforce.com/" seems to bring up links to my posts with pictures
Hey, great catch, I didn't think of that. I did have to include my PhotoBucket UserID, fortunately different from my VAF ID, in the search otherwise I got all posts that I had contributed to where anyone had posted a PhotoBucket picture but, other than that, worked great.
EAA #51411
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015; 765 hrs as of 02/2022
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project; first flight 05/18/2019
SPA Panther N26TK; First Flight 03/13/2020; 175 hrs as of 02/2022
Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 PM

OK, I got this to work on my iPad. NOT using the app, but within Safari.

Open the photo, then click and hold and select "Copy".

Then paste that link and put "img" tags at either end. Make the width something like 600 and "viola!":

Again, I'm fortunate to not have ever used Photobucket, and I deeply sympathize. Now I can keep using Flickr or Google Photos. My photos automatically upload to each, but the search function on Google Photos is much better.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
Naturally they want money to eliminate the ads.
Which is not unreasonable. Either the advertisers pay, or the users pay. For sure, somebody has to pay the bills. I have no objection to a paid account, with Photobucket, or with Doug. The issue is price vs value. I am not willing to pay $399 per year to illustrate forum posts for the benefit of others.

Useful statistics: I have a lot of images posted to VAF, about 10 years worth, as I post technical references as well as build and flight photos. Even so, my entire Photobucket storage is only 0.2 GB, for which I'm currently paying Photobucket about $30 per year.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Which is not unreasonable. Either the advertisers pay, or the users pay. For sure, somebody has to pay the bills. I have no objection to a paid account, with Photobucket, or with Doug. The issue is price vs value. I am not willing to pay $399 per year to illustrate forum posts for the benefit of others.

Useful statistics: I have a lot of images posted to VAF, about 10 years worth, as I post technical references as well as build and flight photos. Even so, my entire Photobucket storage is only 0.2 GB, for which I'm currently paying Photobucket about $30 per year.
I don't mind ads in general - as a concept. I understand they have to make a buck.

But the number and frequency of their ads was so egregious I could not actually do anything for long periods of time. The screen would freeze. This was making me want to look for another photo host service even before the email.

The email tipped it

Last edited by Saville : 07-07-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 PM

Default An alternative

You might want to consider setting up a web site/blog account with a service like ipage or Go daddy. This gives you your own little piece of real estate in the “cloud” which in reality is a server sitting somewhere as close to the artic circle as they can access without a bulldozer. You will have to register a domain name (joevanfanatic.com) with them and pay them an annual modest fee to keep your digital stuff there which can include any file under the sun. With most of them you will also get an email account with the name Joevafanatic.com meaning you will then have an email address of yourname@joevanfanatic.com. If you chose to use the email account.

Now, you can link your current email address, whatever it (they) may be, to your new nonexistent web site joevanfanatic.com so you do not have to tell all your contacts that you have a new email address.

All that is a bonus to the fact that you now have your own private photo dump in the cloud so you don’t need Photobucket or any other service. As long as you pay your annual domain registration fee and their hosting fee you got it. It is not free but it will be there as long as you pay them. Back it up monthly to your hard drive so if Go Daddy or whoever you chose goes t*ts up you can put the entire web site somewhere else using the same domain name (it yours because you bought it) so the links will not be broken for previously posted pictures. This is not as hard as it sounds and any IT shop worth much will be able to do it for you in a couple hours. If I was able to do it so believe me you all can.

The process to upload a picture or any other file type you may want is not much different than using one of the free services. Firefox includes an app (free) called Fire FTP that does the trick. There are many others like Filezilla which is a free FTP. Below is a screen shot of Fire FTP on my screen. On the left side is a directory/file listing for my hard drive, on the right is my cloud file structure. All this operates just like Windows Explorer. You select a file on the left for uploading, hit the right pointing arrow and up load it to your own personal cloud. Of course, you can do the reverse and download as well. If you are thinking this is a good way to back up important files you are right.

So now, your image string in the van forum will be http://joevanfanatic/vanforum/july2017/myprideinjoy.jpg myprideinjoy.jpg is the subject picture.

You keep a text file on your desktop with this string in it so all you must do is put in the name of the photo you are posting on the forum into the string and paste it into the forum text box. That way you don’t have to repeatedly retype the entire string and suffer the inevitable errors. I know this sounds complicated but you will get very good at it very quickly. With a little practice, it will take less time than the free services and you will have the additional benefits that come with it.

On the left side of the screen shot you will see a file tree from my hard drive with printscreen files selected and the .jpg file van1 selected. On the right side (the cloud site) you will see the file has been uploaded to the cloud location in the van/july17 folder or directory. After creating your text prose for the forum and inserting the appropriate string into the forum text box select preview and your photo should appear. If it does not your string has an error in it. It has to be exactly the same as the string representing the file structure on your cloud site. To make life easier on yourself do not use capital letters or put spaces anywhere.

Surely there are fellows on this forum much more knowledgeable on this topic than I and hopefully they will elaborate.

Last edited by vernon smith : 07-08-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:30 AM

Default Bruce Hill - you watching?

Bruce Hill has a nice website with his family and build pictures. Maybe he will tell us what he uses and the time/skills needed to set up and maintain. I like his format for viewing the pictures and they can be expanded for detail. Easy to back up to a higher level and look for what is desired.

Be careful with free because you will get something you must pay for. I found there are a lot of free and easy things in life that come with a price to undo. Get them hooked and up the prices - is a long standing and effective business model.