Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 08:45 AM

I expect next post will be a selfie with Putin; each with glass of vodka held high.
After that I expect a stop in north Korea to set things straight before returning home.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:48 AM

Default Doubtful

Unless Putin plans on feeding him, I doubt he would go!!

Dan Thompson
RV-6A - N426JM - 180hp / C.S. / dual PMags
NC26 - Long Island Airpark, NC
Old 07-06-2017, 11:51 AM

Thumbs up

Or buy Gas
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega232Devils View Post
Unless Putin plans on feeding him, I doubt he would go!!
Now that's funny!

Vlad how many of those swimming holes you hit?
RV-7, SOLD
Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 PM

You guys have a great sense of humor. Thanks!

... Well, as I said, I didn't have permission to enter Russian airspace VFR over BATNI intersecton. I asked Magadan Control why, I have a confirmation of my flight plan passed through all Centers all the way to my destination Anadyr. The Magadan Control patiently explained to me that all international traffic enters Russian Federation airspace via VALDA and I am no exception. They do have my route and if I want to proceed further would I please go to VALDA and give them a call from there. There will be no negotiations because they have an order from Khabarovsk Center.

I turned southbound toward St Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea and got me some thinking. Do I need all of this? One hour over the freezing water then another hour plus, with distance to land as far as 50 NM? Winds are shifting there. Satellite image shows some clouds. Should I just turn around and stay home? I was trying to catch just a slight sense of engine "auto roughness" for any excuse but all was good. Lycoming kitten purred. So I made my decision to go ahead with planned route. Over VALDA I reported my position, got a discreet code and entered Russian airspace.

A quick fly over terrain by Providenia and water again.

This was the farthest distance. I would take hostile terrain over hospitable waters any day.

I was given FL100 and some position reports I relayed via UPS brown trucks. You can see flocks of them and others in flight levels. For me there was no radar coverage.

A lot of packed ice in the Bering Sea.

That's how my airplane location looks on the Russian navigation app SkySmart.

Last edited by Vlad : 03-10-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:03 PM

Talking Arrived at the destination Anadyr, Russia

I was handed off to Anadyr Control about 70 NM out and was picked up by their radar right away.

Got closer, picked up ATIS and was given descend at pilots discretion to 200 meters. I had to do some calculations because I didn't have metric instruments. I asked ATC to check if my transponder indicates correctly and of course it helped the conversion.

To my right the mountain range is called Golden Belt. It has the largest deposits of gold on Chukotka Peninsula.

Straight ahead I can see a monstrous runway and a city of Anadyr across the bay.

Down low in the gorge you can see an abandoned garrison. Back in the days when Smokey was young there were nukes hidden in those mountains. The infrastructure is still there in the granite. There is the whole underground city in it. Theoretically it could function even if grounds were wiped out by a nuclear strike. It's a touristy place but not many tourists are coming to that corner. Gudym is the name.

I was given visual approach RWY 19.

The city is more visible from here. On foreground stands another abandoned military unit. I will visit the place in three days.

Runway at UHMA could easy accommodate a Space Shuttle. I flew my little RV to the last one third of it and still needed progressive instructions to exit it. A pair of Bear bombers and their tankers were readying to harass their Alaska buddies (was rumoured later). Very impressive and beautiful birds.

I was marshalled to my parking spot in the farthest corner of the ramp. Several green hats (border guards and an officer) approached the airplane and signaled I can exit. It was mighty windy and cold in lower 40ies. A customs officer arrived as well (they are separate from the border patrol) then an airport official then somebody else... The border guards were very polite and patiently waited till I secured the airplane. A huge passenger bus was called then all the crowd of officials and one little pilot were transported to airport premises. Formalities were quick and rather easy. There was a minor snag on my part but it was resolved promptly and painlessly. Only 500 roubles fine...

Last edited by Vlad : 07-06-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:25 PM

Aww, that isn't "that" much water... At least there aren't too many sharks in that water. I guess the cold would get you faster than the shark in the south. Just don't let darkness and clouds close in on you out there over the blue stuff below. Good job for not letting "auto rough" make your decisions.

What a great adventure! I like the format, knowing you're safe to talk about it.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy. Last 90% reboot
RV-9A N4822C built flew 15yrs 2200+hrs.
VAF Advertiser
Old 07-06-2017, 09:24 PM

Wow, touchdown on Russian soil! Very courageous water crossing. This trip is officially a major success. Congratulations! Everything else will be gravy. I'm looking forward to the gravy though.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:47 PM

Mate I thought you were flying over via spam can... now I know why the Australian articles I sent you weren't going to be read for a while.

Can someone please explain what the 'handgun in a circle' sign signifies?
Does the Hall of High Comfort have a shooting range as well as wifi?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post

(paid more than asked for this year as well!)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:49 PM

Hall of High Comfort.... that must be interesting.
Might as well keep on and keep calm. London is nice this time of year Vlad !
Glad you didn't swim....

exemption option waived. Donation appropriate.