A number of months ago when I was working on the RV-10 Cabin top I cut the door openings to what I thought would properly fit the Mcmaster seals. However given some overzealous trimming I cut the bottoms about 1/4 inch to 1/2 too much and I don't have the recommended spacing from the cabin spacing to the inner door frame which should be about 1/4" gap all the way around.
I feel this is a multistage process the first being getting the lip depths where I want them to be. Here's a picture showing...
The Top is fine the side will take some very minor rebuilding <3/16th in some spots and the bottom needs a good 1/2" like mentioned above. My thought process is to get some cardboard or something semi rigid and put that around the entire back edge area. Measure and mark any area not to those specs. Then cover the cardboard with some non fiberglass sticking clear tape. Sand/scarf appropriately where I plan to do some rebuilding. Mix up some epoxy and milled fiber and build it up and out using the cardboard as backing. Once cured take the cardboard out and sand the edge to make sure it smooth and clean.
Next I want to build up the 1/4 thickness for the Mcmaster seal but also ensure I have the 1/4 gap between the frame and the door. Like this....
My thought on this is to use glass fabric and build up the area's that need it and sand down and possible build up on the backside area's that get thinner than 1/4". Some area's like the curve on the top are actually going to need to get built up by an 1/4 or so.
After all the spacing I imagine I'll have to micro and sand to get everything looking clean.
Another thought which I don't know if it would be 'easier' is to get some 1/4" Masonite and use 2-3" strips on the inner side of the door. Then mix up milled fibers and epoxy and put that down in area's that need to get built up and then close the door and let cure. Then I can go back and clean the edges and rebuild the backside using some seal as a form to build any depth of the lip I need.
Any tips or advice would be welcomed!
So looking for some advice on the best way to approach this. Right now what I'm thinking of doing is scarf the edges I need to build out.