- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Default I'm a new Intrument Pilot

Last fall, I set out to gain my Instrument rating. I did all of the training in my RV-6A and today passed my check-ride. I thought it was a great experience to learn these skills in my RV, as they taught me from the very beginning how diligent you must be on flying the airplane and that any distraction can allow you to wander. I think back to my first lesson and how far behind the airplane I was. I suppose it could be discouraging for some, but when it finally comes together, it is a great sense of accomplishment. I have to say that the advanced EFIS technology really makes some of this easy enough that I sometimes feel like I am cheating. My partial panel was covering the HXr and flying off the Mini-X With that said, I appreciate that I am ill equipped to fly a 6 pack airplane and would get rededial training if I ever chose to fly one.

To those that are considering going for their rating in their RV, I would encourage you to do so. The upside here is that I feel comfortable and confident in the airplane that I will be flying.

Thanks to those here that helped me by being a safety pilot!

Larry
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Congrats on your new rating!! Nothing wrong with taking another couple lessons and flying a rental with a six pack + instructor.

I did the first part of my instrument training in a Diamond DA40 with a G1000. About 1/2 of the way through my training the DA40 was taken offline. I completed the rest of my training in an old 6-pack 172 with a 430. It was an interesting experience to say the least!

You can also just fly a simulator like FSX and select an airplane with a 6-pack. Probably a cheaper option. I fly a sim 2-3 times a week to stay somewhat current in between getting out to fly real approaches.
Looks like an airplane!
Molalla, OR
Old 02-21-2017, 06:58 PM

Congratulations! I know how much work and persistence that took! Good job!

RV6 built, flown, and sold
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor
EAA Flight Advisor, CFII
Air Traffic Controller
Old 02-21-2017, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up

good for you! I still recall how proud I felt after I passed mine. Congrats again!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:29 PM

Default Got 'er done!

Congrats Larry! Enjoyed chatting with you a few weeks back. One of my favorite uses of the RV was training for and completing the DPE instrument ride, especially with GRT on the panel.

Well done, sir! Stay safe using that ticket for years to come.
Prior partner in RV-9a & RV-10
Now flying RV-10 #40515
Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 PM

Congratulations, Larry!

Just out of curiosity, how do you have your HXr and Mini interfaced to your navigation sources? I have similar GRT equipment - HX and Mini-X, and am quite curious to know how you have things hooked up.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:25 PM

Congratulations Larry.
As a friend said to me on my Instrument day "Remember this day, you are at the top of your game and may never be quite this good ever again".

Be careful friend. Toe in the water first.

As a side note, I read Robert Bucks book then. Much later, I read it again. Has more meaning now than it did then as a freshly minted ticket holder.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Yeah. The boss got a Silhouette Cameo 4 Xmas 2019.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 PM

Thanks. I plan to get up a few times in the short term with 1000' ceilings and really work on being in the system, dealing with dsitractions and shooting approaches. I figure this is low enough to be real and high enough to keep out of real trouble. I feel that practice alone will further enhance some of my skills. It was interesting that I always felt that I was performing better and more proficiently with a safety pilot than with the CFII. I think it may have been the heightened attention required when the teacher wasn't there to lean on.

Larry
Old 02-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Congratulations Larry.

That's a great accomplishment that I hope to achieve someday. If I could only figure out a way to do the training in my RV-8.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 PM

Larry,

Congratulations! The trick is to stay current and to get/stay proficient. Id recommend exactly what you are planning. Look for days with decent minimums and practice being in actual and shooting approaches. Also, find a friend to be safety pilot and practice regularly. Take the opportunity to get very comfortable with using the Auto Pilot to shoot approaches while talking to ATC. Do the same by hand.