Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2017, 06:18 PM

Default Synthetic Vision Failure Incident - Safety Report

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5772247...-064-final.pdf

This is a report from Australian Safety Bureau, relating to synthetic vision misleading indication on take-off.

Whilst this is due to misleading input from rad alt causing the sythetic vision to malfunction, it is still of note that Synthetic Vision is fallible, and highly experienced pilots had enormous difficulty ignoring the false display even when they realised it was misleading, as well as the usefulness of a standby instrument that did not have synthetic vision.

Last edited by rjtjrt : 02-10-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Great post. I'm about to install an EFIS with Synthetic Vision and start my instrument training. Really good to know about failure modes and where to look! Thanks.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2019 paid plus some for those who can't
Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Default VSI

I am not a fan of a tape VSI on a PFD vs a pointer for instant readability.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:58 PM

Very interesting indeed. Thank you for pointing out this report.

When reading what Honeywell was considering as corrective actions, I was left wondering what level of cross-check/comparison is being done by the multiple sensors on the aircraft; GPS x 2, Radalt x 2, AHARS x2, and who knows what else. Having the synthetic vision so heavily reliant on RADALT seems highly unwise. Somebody failed to do a full FMECA on this system, or so it would seem.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:52 PM

Also makes a strong case for an independent standby ESI, in this case an L3 Trilogy vs the Honeywell primary.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 AM

Default Imagine if it was IMC at 50ft AGL

If there had of been a low overcast or fog layer in this case , say at 50ft, and you have both large primary displays showing and telling you to pull up how would you catch on quick enough to trust or even look at the small back up?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1R View Post
If there had of been a low overcast or fog layer in this case , say at 50ft, and you have both large primary displays showing and telling you to pull up how would you catch on quick enough to trust or even look at the small back up?
I think this is a great question that should be asked by more pilots who launch off into the flag. My guess is that the question exists, but isn't verbalized.

I have SV and love it. However, what you're asking is interesting and speaks to actually using SV.

First off, there is the certified aspect of needing an independent backup within the pilot's view (this is has a defined angle and lateral separation requirement in the reg's). If the primary display failed and you had a properly installed backup, it should be fine - assuming you're trained and proficient with your instruments.

Second is the requirement for backup in an experimental airplane, as in - there isn't one.

Now, for the common sense approach. I never take off of an airport that I can't land at. A 50 foot ceiling is well below any legal instrument approaches for standard GA aircraft, which 200' AGL is lowest precision approach minimum I know of, and you'd certainly have very little time to react to any changes, let alone failures.

My direct response to your question is that, no, I doubt you'd have much time to react to anything with a 50' foot ceiling. Considering a 500 fpm descent rate for landing, that's only 6 seconds from the time breaking out to impact; not much time for any reaction - let alone instrument failure determination.

Now, a question I have is "do you trust SV for landing in non-visual conditions?". It's not legal to use SV in lieu of having the runway environment visually, but if you have an emergency - you can use any means necessary, which would include SV, to safety land. For the record, I've used a safety pilot and landed under the hood on SV - right down the centerline.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:57 AM

As Canadian Joy pointed out, failure of the radar alt causing the primary EFIS SV to go "wonky" is a FMEA case that seems to have not been addressed. If the RA is such a significant contributor to that function, failure of the RA should clearly be annunciated and probably shut off SV. I would surmise that the RA is only used so significantly for low altitude phases, and may have been missed in the FMEA for that particular phase of flight. Just a guess.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjconstant View Post
Great post. I'm about to install an EFIS with Synthetic Vision and start my instrument training. Really good to know about failure modes and where to look! Thanks.
I highly recommend that you turn the SV off until you earn your rating. SV can become a distraction. IMO your scan needs to be rock solid without having to rely on augmented presentations like SV or even HITS/Pathways.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 02-11-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:24 PM

i understand that having the SV show bad information will be distracting, but it sounds like this crew was almost using it as primary information. i assume that the aircraft had dual AHRS dual FD, and FMS. so pitch and roll should have been accurate on both screens. if the cross hairs were in the box and the IVSI showed climb on both screens that should have been primary information. automation dependency is rapidly becoming a very major issue in avaition today.

bob burns
rv-4 N82RB