Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Tip: Tucking in the headsets and jacks

After flying with cords all over the stick and not having a good place to place the headsets when not in use, I came up with this idea with spare sheet metal I had at the hangar. The assembly is mounted to the back vertical center post behind the pilot and copilot. It is 3/4" off the face with standoffs in order to route the headset ends up and into the jacks. I think it's going to work GREAT on my RV6-A.

Manny "Snap-Roll" Oro
[url=http://s942.photobucket.com/user/moro17/media/IMG_2720_zpsqtobdlzl.jpg.html][/URL[url=http://s942.photobucket.com/user/moro17/media/IMG_2722_zps9bhfkdoy.jpg.html][/URL[url=http://s942.photobucket.com/user/moro17/media/IMG_2723_zpsw1bmalxd.jpg.html][/URL[url=http://s942.photobucket.com/user/moro17/media/IMG_2724_zpsmlekbv2l.jpg.html][/URL
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM

If it comes unplugged, can you get to it? Not theoretically, but have you sat in the cockpit, canopy closed, etc., to see if you can reach back there and get a plug inserted?

I consider anything behind the seats pretty much inaccessible in flight, the one exception being the O2 tank which, although it can be a pain, is reachable (center mount, upright, between the seats on the back, where your headset jack bracket is).
Old 02-06-2017, 04:42 PM
been here awhile

This will be a satisfactory solution as long as the baggage compartment is empty. But if you plan to make trips in your -6A that compartment is going to be crammed with stuff and I don't see how the bracket is going to be practical. Seems to me the bracket will be getting snagged while loading and unloading the compartment.

But....maybe not......
Old 02-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Nice, Manny! But use rivets next time.
Super-8 bought flying
Old 02-06-2017, 05:22 PM

I had my headset jacks installed in the cross brace between the seats which worked well. I have since installed the almost 14 mod and the headset jacks now go in the center piece provided by anti splat with the mod. They are out of the way still and work great.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
This will be a satisfactory solution as long as the baggage compartment is empty. But if you plan to make trips in your -6A that compartment is going to be crammed with stuff and I don't see how the bracket is going to be practical. Seems to me the bracket will be getting snagged while loading and unloading the compartment.

But....maybe not......
After traveling a lot last summer, this was my first thought as well. I'm still looking for a good solution. The best I've seen is up on the fwd fuselage side, just above and forward of pilot/passenger's outboard knee.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 02-06-2017, 07:07 PM

Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
If it comes unplugged, can you get to it? Not theoretically, but have you sat in the cockpit, canopy closed, etc., to see if you can reach back there and get a plug inserted?

I consider anything behind the seats pretty much inaccessible in flight, the one exception being the O2 tank which, although it can be a pain, is reachable (center mount, upright, between the seats on the back, where your headset jack bracket is).
My friend has that solution which I liked. But then the headset connector strain relief was damaged so I decided to place them down from the top access. Also, I now have a place to store my headsets nicely behind the seats
Old 02-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlegin View Post
I had my headset jacks installed in the cross brace between the seats which worked well. I have since installed the almost 14 mod and the headset jacks now go in the center piece provided by anti splat with the mod. They are out of the way still and work great.
But I have headset holders!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
After traveling a lot last summer, this was my first thought as well. I'm still looking for a good solution. The best I've seen is up on the fwd fuselage side, just above and forward of pilot/passenger's outboard knee.
I bought my RV6 built. The builders solution was to put it like you mention but the connector stems with the strain relief protruded at an angle and pushed against my let. Also, I did not like the cables all over the front AND I did not have a good place to store the headsets. This solution covers all of my problems. At least for me it seems to work