What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl to Plenum-redu-with pix(hopefully)

Larry Parham

Well Known Member
My 9A has the standard Vans Cowling and a plenum. There is a small air gap all the way around, between the two. How do others mate the two together so they can be detached easily? thanks Larry

AF1QipOru3LRZAkTDCeeoN_OpDFLN8kvcRnG76cTNCwW

AF1QipMHrRnCNPrzp-aWBlrviEXX9xa22gyPF9tVa1An

AF1QipMNO1srtvEZEO7SpYSRBy4FHo_InFpBs0AI-p7B

AF1QipPHMWgHXZeJb3PcJ7338uLaQnl05NATpxczBPjX

Pictures from google

My 9A has the standard Vans Cowling and a plenum. There is a small air gap all the way around, between the two. How do others mate the two together so they can be detached easily? thanks Larry

AF1QipOru3LRZAkTDCeeoN_OpDFLN8kvcRnG76cTNCwW

AF1QipMHrRnCNPrzp-aWBlrviEXX9xa22gyPF9tVa1An

AF1QipMNO1srtvEZEO7SpYSRBy4FHo_InFpBs0AI-p7B

AF1QipPHMWgHXZeJb3PcJ7338uLaQnl05NATpxczBPjX

You need one extra step: Load the picture, right click, copy image location, and then use the "mountain" icon to paste the picture.

768GmWGXvsCGUIbNAK22TbM-dm8tAK6sTQpzNOtodehlvfld9Yiy8T6mpIASXXCzBYiqoBNmflkBzLvvNzc5ccr_l41uCiOs8KFuVVog1rutZpr1aCsBM3zrXvYbw4ccSu27zaVbWpillN8j3k5yZtysrvZqH279iEZEfazZKvqsLYAOTbQxk7AVF_-E3Bfo_1lst4ZUvOWxA8Dt6JRgVEE9kqaCg0JR53V1FsDzj66BvMg_jXLtTQtiRUugLqQlUP4qSZbVY6jUZsAdYXq0D2kxScoVRFacI_2Vb6IU9MbQExj8kple7aKdv9G_svUusDuEVO6C1dEIlzknX9-6bQRSGywElnczSGTq3cYpxaokAAKLzNwQhJV4y2MWhjMzEcneGudUntlhhPxaPK5PPcx3bdyjFgxJ4NJ0oKPEwWsUA_tqmiZC-FJNLx2X_wwXfKGEbJ3SWuHhu92fUiRI8UXuOFhr3tBb60bTkIJ7IvOoKUtkWa2S2HulvKYtnUYUNjtbTthJypUoN6eHBr4yD72Tvu1xOM9tVDoTT6dtrWvFiflNCB-6hhtColO7RlR2enWM5uzFeg1z722DLnfQErgWV1dFUdaEOYuat4QBcwwbpsuUOD4ZfbYBajd6uXK9HvlsMsdxLfZ0XqoDHDy-UfABbgNk_KpwHoESE2bS=w640-h480-no

The standard, non-plenum plans call for some baffle seal material in between the cowling and the baffles/ramps. The rubber baffle seal material is flexible enough to get the cowling on/off without trouble.

IMG_3254-M.jpg

IMG_3248-M.jpg

I have also used the Vans baffling and made my own plenum lid. To seal the engine cowl to the engine I followed the Van instructions also to install the rubber baffle seal in the intake area only. Worked really well with no leaks. This was done exactly as shown by Bruce in his pictures

Last edited:
COWL TO PLENUM

Thanks John Bruce and Dean, By your pix it looks like the bottom and top? Also my cowl and plenum do not align straight (high low), about 3/8 to 1/2 inch off. Will the rubber baffle seal material adjust for this change in height by forming it?

Last edited:
Hi Larry. If it was me I would make fiberglass ramps to bring every thing to the same heights and width. My understanding is the smoother the flow in the better the cooling. If you don't have it all lined up then air can escape and cause cooling problems.

Take a look in the traditional engine section "really good baffle seal" there are heaps of photos and tips.

On mine I have a IO360 200Hp with angle valves. Im able to climb at best angle speed and Max RPM from sea level to 8000 plus feet on a ISA plus 15 day. Oil temp never gets over 88 Deg C and the CHT peak at 190 degC at 2500 feet then start getting cooler.

Take the time to get it wright you wont regret it

There is no point in accepting the downside of a plenum lid (notably no easy access to the top of the engine) if the connection to the cowl inlets isn't absolutely leak free.

Plenum lids are easy. Sealed inlets are hard. Do whatever it takes.

Back