Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Mag timing - alignment

Guys,

OK here is my latest question. So I went to time my right mag and can't get it to the proper spot. As I try to rotate the mag to the left CCW as part of the timing process the mag hits the attachment foot. I chamfered the foot but still need to go a bit further.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...x2Y0RpSkVCOHVn

To be clear when I line up the red line to time the gears and have my prop at 25 before TDC. The Bendix 1200 interferes with the top attachment lug which prevents it from rotating enough to properly time.

Is there anyway to change the timing verse the mag body alignment?

Thanks Drippy
Going to the airport Monday!!!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:38 PM

Default timing

Use the timing light to locate where the points start to open. I use on of the locking devices. Just be very careful not to put any load on the gear with the locking device in place. Tighten the nuts finger tight, remove the locking device, and fine tune the timing with the timing light.
Timing light is not exactly the proper terminology its the buzz box with three leads and two lights as well as audio tone.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:53 PM

Default thanks but not sure

Thanks but not exactly sure what you are suggesting, sorry I must be tired.

What does the second sentence mean? What locking device?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Default locking device

It is for Bendix mags, similar in theory to the timing pin for the Slicks. Holds the internal gear while you install the mag in the accessory case. Some people don't like them, they work fine if you don't put a lot of load on them. They screw into the hole where you see a portion of the plastic internal gear. Aircraft tool supply I think has them.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Lock

Search: Bendix magneto locking device for a picture.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drippy View Post
Thanks but not exactly sure what you are suggesting, sorry I must be tired.

What does the second sentence mean? What locking device?
He is thinking of Slicks which use a locking pin as part of the process. Bendix should have something similar.
This shouldn't't be happening. Go back to basics. Make sure the flywheel is correct (near TDC of #1), read the marking on the front at the tiny hole near the starter, or aft side reading at case split, set to 25 early. Make sure mag is set where it belongs on #1.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Sounds like the timing gear on the mag needs shifting one tooth . Hard to tell which direction but if it was a Slick the pin inserted in the correct hole would help you decide. Not current on Bendix procedure
Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM

Default Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
He is thinking of Slicks which use a locking pin as part of the process. Bendix should have something similar.
This shouldn't't be happening. Go back to basics. Make sure the flywheel is correct (near TDC of #1), read the marking on the front at the tiny hole near the starter, or aft side reading at case split, set to 25 early. Make sure mag is set where it belongs on #1.
Not thinking of Slicks, I was very specific that this is a locking device for Bendix mags. What frequently happens, you start with the internal gear in the proper position and as you install the mag and mesh the drive gear into the accessory gear everything moves enough that you have an error that cannot be corrected by rotating the mag. You need to remove the mag and start over. Same principal as Slick pin but different device. Both the Slick pin and the Bendix locking device can damage the mag if you forget to remove them and turn the prop.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 AM

Default back to basics

OK I will give it another try. I have the flywheel at 25 but will double check I am on a compression stroke with cylinder #1. I pulled the plug and think I checked but after messing with this for a few hours am doubting myself.

Worst part is I am not far off 1/8'' or less of rotation once I remove the foot and it gives me that nice beep.

I sent a not to Mark at TropicAir parts he rebuilt the Mag for me and I am hugely impressed with this customer service hopefully he can help me again. I am sure he can walk me through shifting of the timing gear if required.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by Drippy : 01-11-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:25 AM

You have installed your mag one tooth off. Purchase th alignment tool or borrow it. Set your timing to TDC for number one cylinder, and install the mag with the tool inserted allowing for sufficient clearance to adjust the timing in the future. Do a search on u tube, there are many videos of this.....
First Flight Oct 2012
Aviation Partners, LLC

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.