- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM

Default I be smokin :)

I received most of one of Marvin's kits (Smoke System Helper) for Christmas and promptly ordered the rest of the parts that Santa did not bring me. Marvin was a joy to work with and sent my remaining parts right away.

I even ordered a drum of smoke oil from him and was sorta shocked at the delivery price. Compared to purchasing 5 gallons at a time, the drum is the only way to go! I should have enough oil to last me a long time! The oil was delivered very fast!

His kit is very complete. He bags everything up in zip lock bags and includes directions in all the little sub-kits. There will be parts left over because he includes enough stuff to allow for flexibility in how you mount everything as well as for the different airplane types.

I did find that the longer bolts included for the seat belt attach point tank mounts were too long and I had to find some shorter ones. I also found that the screws included to mount the top of the tank to the tip-up seat back brace were almost too short. Nothing major, just trying to be accurate in my review.

The "hidden" tank is a work of art and fits really nice behind the seat. It truly does sort of disappear back there. I decided to mount the pump in front of the tank to the floor pan with a hose clamp. It fits nicely in that area between the tank and the back of the seat. I removed the base from the pump and used the hose clamp running thru a couple slots in the floor pan to hold it in place. Some baffle material to cushion it. It hides the pump from view since it is between the seat and the tank! I got the idea from JohnFurey's post and picture:

PICTURE CREDIT TO JohnFurey...this is his install not mine... I shamelessly copied some of it.

I decided to run the oil line thru the spar. To accomplish this without making a massive hole for the included rubber hose, I decided to transition from rubber to aluminum and then back to rubber after passing thru the spar. This makes the hole required only 1/2". Due to the geometry involved I decided to make the double transition to rubber. I just ordered those parts from ACS ahead of time. Put the hole in the spar by following the new recommendations as written by Van's for adding holes to the spar. Here is a pic of the transition. The other end looks the same just opposite....

Somehow I managed to miff up one of the Aeroquip hose end fittings and stripped it out. I think I either had a stainless braid strand get in there or I over torqued it. Just be careful with these. It was totally my fault that I stripped this out...

Even though it was sub 20° today and we got 7.5" of snow, I went to the hangar (heated with a portable propane heater ) and finished up my install today. Checked everything out, checked for leaks, flow tested and tweaked the restrictor valve trying to get 0.5 gpm but could only get .33 or so and finally tested it with the engine running:

I flew it later but there was no one around to tell me how it was performing. No video of it in the air .
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 01-09-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Brian, a weight loss program, marathons and now - you are smokin'

RV-7
Old 01-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up Nice

Nice...looking great.

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 7 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Marvin's Smoke System helper

Brian,

Just sent you a PM- the flow valve & the electric shutoff valve (if you use this) have some issues you need to address ASAP or you are going to have a mess to clean up.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM

OK, now I'm jealous!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid
Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
Brian,

Just sent you a PM- the flow valve & the electric shutoff valve (if you use this) have some issues you need to address ASAP or you are going to have a mess to clean up.
Can you share these issues? We have quite a few of these systems on our field and we're not aware of any issues.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:53 AM

Much better system than local pilot who had oil dip stick failure in flight resulting in much oil down on exhaust pipe making lots of smoke.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Congrats!

Super Cool!
MT 3 Blade CS
C-182 N3159F
Old 01-08-2017, 04:34 PM

Here is some video from the air.

Can you all tell me if this looks typical?

Are the pulses in the smoke normal? All the times I have watched smoking RV's and I never paid much attention....

Another sub 20 degree flight! I am ready for spring!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 01-08-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Default Smoke

Brian,

Smoke looks good, might have someone fly formation with you and try different flow settings. Initially I tried 1/2 a turn but that was a bit thin so I ended up about 3/4 of a turn on the flow valve for good smoke.

Oly