- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:39 AM

Smile Pennsylvania Flying Farmers

Less then an RV hour north of my base I've discovered several uncharted airstrips. They all belong to farmers. This past weekend there was a flyin on one of them and I was invited. Beautiful day.

This strip is tucked between the hills. An ultralight is based there and a helicopter.

In better days of last century this airstrip saw 5 airplanes flying in. Today there were only two. Several frequenters don't fly anymore.

Old flying buddies were joking about advanced age. They say there is less and less talk about women, more about ultralights and never of politics. Thanks for the invitation. Next year we will increase the number of airplanes flying in. Most likely I will be the only RV again.

Then I got coordinates of another farm strip. George the owner let me check it without signing any waiver. It's kind of short and bowed you can't see the ends of the field. But it's groomed and very smooth like neighboring golf course.

Interestingly, on the sectionals it's near Friendsville. Right name.

I stretched my home leg over 1 hour the scenery was so beautiful.

It's a different world there in farm country where a handshake and a word still matter and work.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:03 AM

Poignant observation, friend.

-Stormy

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 10-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Default Flying Farmers

Just east of Friendsville Hallstead used to have an airport. Kirkwood on the NY side closed years ago but the runway is still salvageable. To the west Sayre used to have two airports, both long gone.
In the day fly in breakfasts in central NY used to draw 50 plus airplanes. MANY flying farmers. Most of the flying farmers strips in that area are long gone. Now the breakfasts that remain have mostly drive in traffic. One notable exception is Penn Yan which still draws a big crowd on July 4.
On one 10 mile stretch of state highway in central NY there were four airstrips, all visible from the highway, all long gone.
I don't know where this trend is going but it certainly is not good.
I have a collection of Charts and Airport Directories dating to 1933. If anyone wants to discuss PA, NY and NJ Airports pm me at jrs14855@hotmail.com
Old 10-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Thumbs up Love those colors

Vlad, those colors are great. Looks like the Lobster Fly-In needs to be moved to the second week of Oct.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 10-16-2016, 04:14 PM

Yeah, Vlad...awesome colors. The sagebrush out here is turning from a medium brown to sort of a grayish color...but then to orange when it catches fire!
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart