Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2016, 01:39 PM

Default HELP--#%*$ Baggage Door

Ok guys, about to admit the baggage door has beaten me . This is the second door I've built and it is only marginally better than the first. I've read every thread on the board regarding the door and just can't find a magic potion. The fit is quite good everywhere except in the tight curve, both the fore and aft edge stick up about 1/32". I marked the areas in blue--I can push the aft portion of the door down flush. The forward portion can be pushed down almost flush. I'm thinking I need to shrink the skin in these areas but not really sure. Is there anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area where I could get some help fitting this door? Thanks in advance.

Dues paid to 12-1-21
www.mykitlog.com/skyking90200
Old 10-05-2016, 01:43 PM

Call Jay Pratt. If he can't tell you how to fix it, then it simply isn't able to be fixed. He's the master on -8's.

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skylane 182
* Hoping Vans decides to offer a bush plane, before I order something else! **EDIT**: got tired of waiting, and bought a '46 J3 Cub!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:26 PM

Default Yep, J is close to you.

Don't let this door get you down. I have a friend that made four or so before he accepted that it was not going to be perfect and used the last one. If you are set on making it per plans, there are some tricks or more like the order you do what and how you do it in. You need to see someone like J that has been doing this for a long time. Or do what most of us do. Go very slow and check the fit over and over and over and over ext. tell you can't see any daylight anywhere. Then crawl inside and very carefully set the rivets slowly and from side to side, starting at one end and going to the other. When it finally fits you will be proud of yourself and rightfully so. keep up the good work. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 10-05-2016, 03:10 PM

Mine is not perfect either, airplane flies great....press on.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:27 PM

I reshaped the fore and aft door ribs to match the curve of the fuselage on my 2nd door. I tried all the other suggestions found on this sight. Nothing else worked. The curvature of the door must match that of the fuselage. Hammer and dolly the ribs until the curve matches. Maybe it was my 4th as Robert suggests.

Last edited by brad walton : 10-05-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:09 PM

I spent a good bit of time looking at baggage doors at OSH, both this year and last, and my observation was that most were no better than what you describe...a couple were better. Mine is like yours and like the vast majority of those I saw. It's not a good design and very difficult to get perfect. I'm going to fly off my phase one and then consider trying one more door to see if I can achieve the holy grail, but if I can't, too bad so sad...it'll fly!
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 10-05-2016, 05:12 PM

I ended up using a shrinker on mine. A very little bit at a time.
RV-6, sold, 820 hrs of fun.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:03 PM

With the shrinker. Did you modify the shape of the F-873 ribs to achieve the correct shape? I am not too far away from this and have access to a shrinker/stretcher so this is good info to have ahead of time.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 10-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Default baggage door fit is important

Why is the fit important? Because lots of RV-8's have so-so fit of the baggage door. So, when I want to assess the quality of a build, the standard of care of the builder, that is the first place I look.

That isn't meant to sound snobby. Its just a fact that the parts, as supplied, don't produce a great fit. It is a perfectly adequate, functional fit. But it doesn't look great.

I found that the only way to get the fit right was to use metal-forming tools to reshape the ribs. Oh how I wish I had access to a shrinker. But I fiddled with the ribs, got a second set of ribs and fiddled with those, and got something I am happy with, although maybe not proud of. Mine is probably in between the average so-so doors and the really good ones that metal-working geniuses do.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM

Default Flox is your friend! And other tricks

My baggage door fits perfectly. Sometimes I make the trip to the hanger just to stand there and stare at it cuz it makes me feel good. (Kinda kidding.)

But seriously, I did a couple things. I strapped the door tightly closed with ratchet straps, then clecoed the ribs to the door with a layer of flox between the the rib and the outer door panel. After that set, I riveting on the outer door to the rib, and strapped it back on. Then drill the inner door from inside, remove, deburr, re-strap, pop rivet from inside.

Also, I ended up only riveting the inner panel on 3 sides, the side against the hinge is open.

Fits, plenty rigid, and works great.

"Life seems so much simpler when you're fixing things." - Anakin Skywalker
Dues Paid 2020