Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2016, 06:55 PM

Default RV's at U.S. National Aerobatic Championships (OFFA 70+)

We have arrived! Bill "WillyEyeball" McLean and I arrived at North Texas Regional Airport (KGYI) this "afternoon. It's a "Bucket List" for both of us old geezers: a first attempt at IAC competition at the national level! Bill has been flying his RV-4 in competition for a few years longer that me and he does things with that old -4 that you wouldn't believe. And he does it with 160 horsepower and a fixed pitch prop! I have seen him wipe up the tarmac with Extras and Pitts so I'm anxious to see what he does here in Texas. Bill is an optometrist by trade and does research projects for the US Army at Fort Rucker. (Thus the WillyEyball handle.) He signed up with the Air Force early on and was denied a pilot slot because of less-than-perfect vision. Besides, they said that pilots are as comon as dirt. What they needed was an optometrist.
We met up in Grenada, Mississippi on the way to Texas so we could spend a few days together practicing our Sportsman routines before heading to Texas. Bill lives in southern Alabama and I live in North Carolina, so Grenada was a great place to meet and they have an aerobatic box right on the field!

We will get techinical inspections done on the airplanes tomorrow morning. Practice time in the box on Friday and Saturday, then the fun begins in Sunday. I'll post the schedule soon so anyone in the vicinity of Sherman, Texas can come watch the fun!
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 09-23-2016, 06:01 AM

Very cool! Good luck, have fun, and fly safe!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 AM

Default Good Luck Guys!

Have fun, fly safe and keep us updated! Pix's, videos and scores!
MT 3 Blade CS
C-182 N3159F
Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 AM

Ron we will be looking forward to updates as you progress. I was stationed at
"Mother" Rucker back in the late 80's and actually worked MedEvac and the
hyperbaric chamber. I was able to friend many helicopter instructors and as
such actually got to sneak time in the full motion sims.
Trenton, SC (S17 homebase)
Happily Donated
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM

Looking forward to updates Ron.
We know you and Bill will make us RV'ers look good.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 09-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Default Champions

Bill "WillyEyeball" McLean is Extremely well know over in south Alabama, I cant wait to see the results! Good luck gentlemen and God speed.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:59 PM

Default We are now three!

Patric "Balls " Coggin and wife, Sarah flew in this morning which brings the RV representation to THREE! That's a record! Patric was the sole RV contestant at Nationals last year so we will be looking to him for direction until we get our bearings. First order of business today was to get a technical inspector to sign off our paperwork and aircraft. Dennis Parks, RV-4 pilot from Oregon has volunteered to serve as a tech inspector so it was nice to have a friendly sort to dig into our stuff.

Tech complete, we headed for registration where we purchased that all-important ticket to the end-of-contest awards banquet.

Out on the flight line, Contest Director Gary DeBaun, the busiest man on the airfield, is monitoring at least two radios to keep track of the planes entering and departing the aerobatic box for their practice flights. Patric and Bill got in their practice sessions today and I'll get mine in tomorrow morning if the weather holds. (Rain in the forecast.)

Opening ceremonies tomorrow at 11 AM. Let the fun begin!
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 09-24-2016, 06:17 AM

Default PS:

I thought I should post a picture of the technical inspection form that is used at all IAC events. For me, it doubles as a checklist which I review before going to every contest to insure that I bring along all the paperwork which is required and it can also serve as a checklist for your walk-around inspection.

It's 0615 as I am writing this and the weather is clear! Might get my 0830 practice flight in before the rain comes.
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 09-24-2016, 04:25 PM

Default Opening day!

Woke up hoping the weather would allow me to get in my practice flight. This is what greeted us as we arrived at the airport:

We hangared at the Lake Texoma Jet Center which has it's advantages, namely a handful of airplane pushers that will kindly move half a dozen other planes to bring mine out to the ramp.

I preflighted the airplane and with a great deal of optomism I strapped in and called the tower for taxi.

Airborne! Got a partial practice routine in and a good look at the box boundaries before the tower closed the box for weather. Good enough!

Opening ceremonies at 1100 and pilot briefing to follow. Gary DeBaun our overworked Contest Director at the helm again. The first flight for the Unlimited pilots were first up this afternoon.

The flight order for tomorrow is posted. Sportsman and Primary will fly together. (Check out number 15 on the list!)

Hoping for a bit of good weather tomorrow.
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 09-24-2016, 07:23 PM

Talking Wow!

You guys don't stand a chance (no offense), unless Debby is just flying for a Smooth patch or something like that. In any event, it's going to be fun to see the scores. If you and or Bill beat her scores, that's going to be something to remember!

Good luck to all of you!

Merrill

Last edited by mdevans9 : 09-24-2016 at 07:26 PM. Reason: correct