What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weapons of war (battling with tires)...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm working on my second condition inspection. My tires needed flipping. I heard various methods for breaking the beads. It seemed like it should be easy.

The first tire got the best of me. I jumped on it, cussed at it, pleaded with it. But in the end I came away injured, and nearly lost the battle. With a little energy left I gave it one last shot. Finally after an hour, I broke the beads!

Here's the weapons I used on the first tire. Meager as you can see.

GJViZ7o.jpg

For the second tire I went shopping for more powerful weaponry. I was looking around the garage for some ideas when I happen upon my cheap sawhorse, made from 2x4s and a saw horse bracket from home depot.

I took this up to the hangar and without breaking a sweat defeated my second tire in about 5 minutes. No blood was spilt!

mltcCyX.jpg

It certainly helps to have the right weapon when going to battle!

Michael-

Last edited:
Another way to skin it

Probably self-explanatory except for the detail of the thick wood block in the 4th and 5th pics, necessary to force the second half of the wheel free of the bead without having to totally squish the tire with the bar clamps

Breaking the bead

I have had the perfect tool all along and didn't know it.

My drill press. Just the chuck alone can press down the tire wall easily in multiple locations to break the bead without any damage while I am standing comfortably at my workbench. Suppose I should unplug it for safety.

Found this tip somewhere on VAF and really appreciated it!!

I just do what those guys in the EAA Hints for Homebuilders videos do. I stand on the tire. For once all that extra weight I've gained is useful. My friend bought a tire bead breaker from Horror Fright but I'm too cheap even for that (Scots heritage).

I've had good results simply hitting a block of wood with a mallet to break the bead. However, I have used this method before on motorcycle tires:

breaking-bead.jpg

Cheap and effective. (Note: that's not me in the pic)

I have what I think are the largest Channel Lock pliers they make. Does a fine job of popping the bead but quite a bit more expensive than the saw horse setup above.

Bead Breaker!

....All you need to do, is set the tire up on the drill press table,
and use the spindle with a dowel Etc. in the chuck. Then push on the tire, close to the bead. Works every time....

Last edited:
I'll bet you've done this a few times Allan!

I have a bead breaker from harbor frieght which look suitable for trailer tires and it works well on the airplane tires. Reminds me of the device as pictured in the first post of this thread or at least the same principal.

Back