- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:33 AM

Default RV-8 Secret

Don't say a word to anyone on BeechTalk BUT......I'm seriously considering selling my V35B and purchasing an RV 8
Would love to hear the do's n do not's as it relates to what to look for.
I think I want the IO-360 but some have told me the 180 HP will almost keep up.
I want to install G3X touch with G5 also 750 and maybe Garmin's new autopilot or Tru Trak Vizion
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:49 AM

Hi Stan,

The 8 and 8A are fantastic airplanes. As far as engines you can get the IO360 in the 180 and 200 hp. Most will have either the IO 180 or the A1A carb engine. You will get lots of feedback here but after building both versions I prefer the 0360 A1A carb version especially in Texas heat. Less complicated, lower cost to build, runs like a scalded cat.
Eagles Nest Mentor
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Stewart View Post
Hi Stan,

The 8 and 8A are fantastic airplanes. As far as engines you can get the IO360 in the 180 and 200 hp. Most will have either the IO 180 or the A1A carb engine. You will get lots of feedback here but after building both versions I prefer the 0360 A1A carb version especially in Texas heat. Less complicated, lower cost to build, runs like a scalded cat.
Thanks Pat,
My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine without too many loops or rolls. Coming from the Bonanza, this will be a large change for me. It's just the wife and me now and my cash cow has lost her way, I no longer want to cringe at every annual......it's like waiting to hear from the Tax Accountant whether you owe this year or not.
I want to hire the best local builder to do my pre-buy I'm guessing.
I hear lot's of numbers on speed, what set up would allow for 170Kts or will an 8 even do that ?
Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Stan, methinks it would benefit you to talk to Jay Pratt.

He knows a thing or two about the RV 8.

http://www.vansairforce.net/rvcentral.htm

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 AM

I 2nd Jay Pratt. When I considered building (I bought one) Jay was a remarkable resource over the phone (so was Mike S and other great folks from this site). "Keep it light".

Jay is an advertiser on the site (RV Central http://www.vansairforce.net/rvcentral.htm ) and has a couple really good videos specific to the RV-8 that Doug Reeves (DR VAF Administrator) posted on Youtube.

Jay Pratt Talks About The RV-8 QB Fuse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP7_1Z3e4Kg

Jay Pratt Part Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65F_tWELdSE

Here is a video of the RV-8 I bought after a pretty long search:

Chads RV8 part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAMnOQHQlfE

Chads RV8 Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tBkJFseBs

Titan IO-360 parallel valve and a BA Hartzell CS prop, two persons with baggage. IAS 143 kts, TAS 173 kts, GS 190 kts, altitude 9,500, OAT 18C, MP 21.9, RPM 2280, GPH 8.3, HP 65%. Based on screen shot of EFIS on our way to OSH.

Last edited by Chkaharyer99 : 08-08-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Performance.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stancaruthers View Post
My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine without too many loops or rolls. Coming from the Bonanza, this will be a large change for me. It's just the wife and me now and my cash cow has lost her way, I no longer want to cringe at every annual.....
I hear lot's of numbers on speed, what set up would allow for 170Kts or will an 8 even do that ?
An -8 will do much better. How much better depends on several factors. Opinions vary, but....

Least expensive to build and maintain: 0-360 carbed parallel valve and a fixed pitch. Slowest climb, highest cruise RPM running in the 170~175 knot ballpark. Highest payload at Vans specified gross weight. Some say most bang for the buck.

Best aerobatic: Probably get some debate here, but I'd say IO-360 parallel valve and a composite constant speed. Lower cruise RPM, much better climb, light stick forces in pitch, less rear baggage capacity due to CG.

Best cross country hauler: Fastback conversion to boost rear baggage compartment volume, IO-360, 390, or 400 angle valve with a BA Hartzell so rear loading can be maximized (read "haul almost anything that will fit"). Heavy pitch forces because of forward CG when solo, so not so nice for acro. However, it is very trim stable, which might be a plus for IFR. With some cooling drag reduction, my 390-powered fastback will cruise at ~184 KTAS @60% solo, about 181 loaded up heavy. When I'm in a hurry, 75% is in the mid 190's.

BTW, another vote for Jay. He is right down the road from you.

Last edited by DanH : 08-08-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:57 AM

Default Can't go wrong with RV

The Bo is a great flyer but you just can't beat the economics of the RV. The innovation in experimental avionics is just worlds ahead of anything certified for the price. I would think a RV-10 would be a closer match to the Bo but they can be pricey. If you haven't flown an -8 yet, try to arrange a good hour flight. They are a wonderful ride but quite different from the Bo. If speed is your mission, then HP is the answer. Lots of great -8 guys here to give you specifics on that jewel.
Good luck and hopefully you will be a convert soon!

Quote:
Don't say a word to anyone on BeechTalk BUT......I'm seriously considering selling my V35B and purchasing an RV 8
Would love to hear the do's n do not's as it relates to what to look for.
I think I want the IO-360 but some have told me the 180 HP will almost keep up.
I want to install G3X touch with G5 also 750 and maybe Garmin's new autopilot or Tru Trak Vizion
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
1968 Twin Comanche - Sold
RV-6a Sold
1965 Comanche 260 - Sold
RV-9 Built and Flying
600A Aerostar - Sold and regretted
2000 Maule MXT-7 Project
1965 Maule M4 Bushwacker projectů till RV-15 shows up
Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks Pat,
My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine without too many loops or rolls.
Van's numbers don't lie. 170ktas cruise with either 180 or 200hp is very realistic, if not a little low. Smart decision to not want "too many" loops or rolls; the key for a happy airplane and pilot is to do just the right amount of each on every flight.
RV-8 (sold)
Xtreme Decathlon (borrowing)
Old 08-08-2016, 10:04 AM

My RV-8 with the 180hp O-360 A1A will do 170kts all day long, and with the constant speed prop it climbs like a bat out of ****, even up here in Denver. My other plane is a Mooney Acclaim, and the RV costs less than half the Mooney to insure, operate and maintain. You'll love the savings.
2021 dues paid!

Last edited by colojo : 08-08-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:33 AM

I've got a Bonanza (J35 with IO550) and RV8 (IO360 angle valve, 200hp). Cruise speeds are almost identical LOP; low 170's KTAS. 12 gph in the Bo and 8 in the RV. Bo is better instrument platform but RV is much more fun!
Fredericksburg, TX