What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally!!!

mciaglia

Well Known Member
I think I have been on here for 3 years now. I have read almost everyone's build thread from Tim Olsen, Ed Kranz, Mouser, Jason Ellis, Ivan, Bob, Charlie "Mark" and countless others. I have discussed the time, financial and other issues with undertaking this build and my wife and my life is finally in a good place to do it! I have already got my workshop ready (4 EAA tables, compressor with 3 air stations, drill press, band saw, TV and fridge!). Planning on purchasing the empanage at Oshkosh and a tool se and am taking the sheet metal class.
Are the tool deals worth it at OSH or should I get them now? Planning on Isham kit.
Thanks for all the knowledge this site has provided.
Hope you guys follow along

www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com

Mark

I'm jealous. I think I'm maybe a year behind you in my timeline as I am still waiting approval from the "boss".

Also interested in waiting for Oshkosh is the way to go to get deals on tools.

had a lot of tools but...

I went with an Isham set and I was/am extremely happy with them. You won't regret getting started right away. Not sure what deals they will have at Oshkosh. Some vendors advertise the deals they will be having there.

Congrats!

I also started off with the Isham Tool Set. You'll end up buying more tools as you progress in the build anyway. Just curious. What is your builder number?

Mike,
Haven't purchased the kit yet, planning on buying it OSH. Once I get the builder number will let everyone know!

Mark

Congratulations! You're in for a challenging but very rewarding journey!

Take lots of pictures, for yourself as much as others. It's crazy all the things you forget about as time passes!

Take lots of pictures, for yourself as much as others. It's crazy all the things you forget about as time passes!

Ed,

Nice Picture in your signature. Is that your paint scheme and/or finished RV-10?

Ed. Thanks. I must admit, I watched every step of your build. I plan to replicate a lot of what you accomplished (imitation is the biggest form of flattery). Can't believe I actually spent time reading about Arduino's!! Your interior is part of the reason my wife loves the idea of this plane.

Ed. Thanks. I must admit, I watched every step of your build. I plan to replicate a lot of what you accomplished (imitation is the biggest form of flattery). Can't believe I actually spent time reading about Arduino's!! Your interior is part of the reason my wife loves the idea of this plane.

Thanks, Ed.. :cool::cool:

Awesome, welcome to your new best, worst, expensive, fun addiction! I'm sure you will enjoy the process if you have spent that much time review other builder blogs!

I don't believe any of the tool vendors give any significant discounts at OSH, but I could be mistaken. I know for a fact, that Van's doesn't and they would prefer you to order directly through the office. Their tent is a zoo during the show.

If you have the cash on hand, I would order now. Why wait for the fun to begin. The tools and the empennage are shipped via ground freight. So depending on where you live, it may take a week or so lead time just for freight.

Just make sure to time things so they don't arrive while you are at OSH.:D

Sounds like I'm in the same position as several of you. Went to Sun n' Fun in April, now heading to Oshkosh in July. Plan on ordering my 9A kit there and also looking for deals on tools. Would welcome any comments / suggestions on which vendors to go with.

Thanks,

Mark

If you have the cash on hand, I would order now. Why wait for the fun to begin. The tools and the empennage are shipped via ground freight. So depending on where you live, it may take a week or so lead time just for freight.

Yeah, i definitely agree with Bob. You will become good friends with your local UPS/USPS/Fedex delivery guy. This is the start of many many many deliveries.

My postman started stopping by regularly even when there wasn't a package to deliver. They all were curious to see the small boxes of stuff they brought slowly morph into an airplane!

I bought the Isham Tools and they are great! It was really cool when I went to Synergy Air and their favorite tools were the Drill and Rivet Gun that Isham sold me.

Get rid of the adjustable valve on the Rivet Gun. The kit came with all the extras many other kits don't have that my friend recommended.

Their internet price was good!

Back