Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:22 PM

Default Canopy Frame Repair

Greetings!

In January I bought a wonderful fastback RV-4 from a guy in Kansas City. I'm very happy with it - in about four months I've put about 100 hours on it! It was finished in '08 and is built nicely. From what I hear the 4's did not have very good plans and building instructions making them more difficult to build than the rest. No offense to the builder at all, but the canopy was definitely not his strong point. It has always bugged me that (1) it takes a considerable slam to close it right, (2) it leaked like crazy until I put about 10 feet of weather stripping on it during this latest record-setting cold winter, and now, most importantly, (3) the bulkhead / cross-brace just aft of the roll bar and above the passenger's knees has separated from the longitudinal frame tube on the right side. After some time, I noticed recently that the only thing keeping the bulkhead attached is a single rivet (to the skirt) on the right side. Furthermore, there's now a crack in the paint on the outside where the rivet attaches. I have no building experience so I need some help deciding what to do with this problem. I believe I may have to remanufacture the bulkhead entirely since the present one appears too short by about a half an inch, causing this problem to begin with. Not sure if there are plans for this part, etc...

Or, considering the possibility of a complete canopy makeover, does anyone know who the canopy building expert in my area is? (Dallas/Ft Worth - Oklahoma City - moving to Tucson, AZ in August '16)

Here are some pics:

A closeup of the sole rivet holding the bulkhead to the skirt

The right side of the skirt from the outside:

Showing the crack:
Old 06-11-2016, 08:08 PM

If it's a fastback then the canopy frame was fabricated from scratch. It looks like the welds broke loose so you may have to find a good tig welder.
RV-4 (N684ML) completed 3-17-19
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 06-16-2016, 10:07 PM

Apparently nobody really likes building the canopy...
Old 06-16-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Dan,
The primary issue is that being a fastback RV-4, it is a hybrid, probably one of a kind airplane (I am not aware of anyone that ever sold an after market kit for a fastback canopy on an RV-4), so there is nothing specific that anyone can really provide you in the way of specific tips on how to repair it.

It appears to be a failure at a weld that was possibly poorly done (seems to be little penetration).
It would probably be risky to re-weld that location without first removing the canopy which would of course be a huge job.
At this point a better option might be to rivet some type of gusset between the tubes.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-17-2016, 02:19 AM

Isn't Jay Pratt up around Ft Worth? I think he is sort of a for hire RV guru type.

Better figure that out before you get a crack in the bubble.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I did, but you wouldn't like my time frame! (about 6 months)

I'd call Jay Pratt of RV Central like CATPart said. He can probably get you fixed up, or at least point you toward someone who can. He's based at Hicks. Super nice guy.
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Thoughts & opinions expressed here are my own, and not those of my employer.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM

Looks like you could split some tube length wise then weld up an el to fit the broken tubes and you could rivet it in place. Probably should do other same to the other side too.Otherwise your going to have a huge job removing the existing canopy, welding the tubes and attaching a new canopy.The old weld looks like they never melted the long tube and just gobbled on some weld and it broke.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the advice. I know that welding with the canopy 'in-situ' is going to be next to impossible. So is it a viable alternative method to fabricate a new bulkhead and rivet the whole thing onto the side tubes (no welding at all), or do you think rivets alone are not going to be strong enough for this application?
Old 06-18-2016, 11:41 AM

Default Removing canopy

If the builder left you a short piece of hinge pin in the front, you should be able to pull the pin with a needle nose visegrip, remove a few attachments and the canopy should come off within 10 minutes of work. I also have a fastback and installed it myself, starting with Van's canopy frame, removing what you don't need and improvise the rest. Really wasn't a big deal.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:13 PM

I built this fastback canopy frame from scratch, with the exception of the cross brace. I got it from Vans. It is probably cheaper than fabricating one from raw stock aluminum.
[IMG][/IMG]
RV-4 (N684ML) completed 3-17-19
KOCH Nacogdoches