What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 gear tower wire holes.

laz

Well Known Member
I have searched the forum. I have called Van's support ( not a real definitive answer).
Soo I need some help.

I am running a lot of wires down the inside of my left gear tower. I need to exit them near the bottom in the same area that already has holes for fuel lines. ( there are two and both are used). The Right Gear tower has a huge hole (at least an inch). Form many reasons I cannot run all my wires on that side.

1. Can I drill an addition two 3/4 inch holes in that area?

2. Has anyone else done this?

3. What should the spacing be?

I can easily keep 3/4 " spacing between the edges of all holes if that info helps.

Maybe I should ask this in different way. Does anyone have photos of wire holes on the bottom of the left rv8 tower. Anything at this point would help.

Holes in tower

Yes, I have several extra holes in my RV8 landing gear towers. No Issues. I also have Aluminum Gear and a 0540 on the front. Good spacing would be important:eek:

How about a 2" scat tube hole and some other holes.

IMG_3856_small.JPG

IMG_3857_small.JPG

Last edited:
That helps, but where I need the extra holes is below that area probably winning 2"s of the floor.

Just another information point.
A few years back, I asked VAN's about drilling holes in the center section spar web on an RV8 build, inside the fuselage. They responded saying I could basically drill as many 5/8" holes as I needed but make sure to stagger them, not putting them in a straight line either horiz or vert.
I have seen a lot of holes drilled in the gear towers on different RV8s, but that doesn't necessarily make it right, or safe; however, I haven't heard of anyone collapsing a gear tower on the RV8, either.

I agree. I ave steadfastly tried to avoid any new holes in structure. When I called vans all they person I spoke to said was not too large a hole and offered no real guidance. That was not what I am after. I am assuming since they put holes in the towers in different places there must be some guidelines. The right tower has two Large Holes in it. I sent Van's an E-mail but have not yer received a response.

I will keep trying

thanks for your Input.

I contacted support at Vans and their initial reply was adding extra holes in the bottom of the Rv8 Gear tower " was a complete unknown" and that I was on my own but recommend if I did add oles I should keep the proper "edge distance".

I was not satisfied with that response so I asked the question in a different way. I did receive a more helpful response this time. Van's indicated the new fuel pump they ship with the RV8 kits no longer has a return line so I could use the existing hole that was put there for the return line ( it is in the same approximate position as the 1" hole on the right Tower base) to run my wires. They also indicated I should use a 2D edge difference for any new holes I intend to add.

This new pump with no return line was news to me and help.

What I plan to do is use the existing hole that was used for the return line to run my wires. I will enlarge it to match the same hole that is on the right side. I am making the assumption that if it is Ok on the right is should be the same for the left.

If anyone has thoughts on this idea all are welcome.

Thanks

Back