- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM

Default Get in shape flying !

We all know that we can get some good cardiovascular exercise while flying (when we scare ourselves) but i have discovered that we can get good solid documentable exercise while flying.

I had the pleasure of flying my RV10 - 31 hours round trip to SNF. On the way back over the southern states we were getting bounced vigorously around by 40+ knot crosswinds. That evening in the hotel room i just happened to look at my iPhone Health app. It showed that we had walked/ran 4.5 kms and climbed 10 floors !
So there you go, dont go for a boring treadmill session - go flying !!

R44 225 hrs
Aerostar 601P 130 hrs
grounded by stroke Sept 3/07 - and back flying Feb 2010. Don"t ever take flying for granted !
Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 PM

My iPhone got more steps from it. But ya it was bumpy.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 PM

Default 1500 calorie diet

WRT getting in better shape, I was very skeptical at first, but my New Year's resolution was to lose some weight and get into better shape since I'm now hitting my mid 50s. On a whim, I decided to try the 1500 calorie per day diet because it's claimed to be not so much of a big shock on your system and since the typical sedentary adult burns about 2000 calories per day so you're supposed to be able to steadily lose a small amount of weight without being so hungry all the time. Well, combined with some light exercise (walking 3-4 miles at least 3 times a week) I've dropped 25 lbs since Jan 1st and although I've still dealt with some afternoon tummy growling at the office that I used to fill with a trip to the vending machines for a can of soda and junk food, and now fill with a couple glasses of water, this diet hasn't been too bad to handle at all. It's also kinda surprising how much better my RV6 takes off and climbs with only a mere 25 lb reduction of lardass onboard too. I also had to buy several new pairs of jeans since my old ones are way too baggy now.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:45 AM

Default disciplne

good on you Neal! maintaining discipline on the weekdays isn't too bad. weekends on the other hand...
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 04-14-2016, 09:28 PM

I forgot to mention that eliminating beers has been a big component of my diet too. Probably one of the most difficult aspects.
But a couple drinks of distilled spirits on the weekend helps, even though any adult beverages still has calories that need to be accounted for. When I reach my desired goal of 160 lbs I will have a beer to celebrate.