What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Lower Cost Database Options for Garmin aera 795/796

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

We recently announced our new aera 660 portable navigator, and with that we announced the availability of the new Garmin Navigation Database (for U.S. and Canada) and introduced a family of new lower priced database bundles.

We are pleased to announce that similar bundles are now available for aera 795/796 customers through the normal www.flygarmin.com channel.

New Database Bundles Available for the aera 795/796

US Database Bundle $149.95/yr ($12.50/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering Alaska and the Continental U.S., updated as often as you like:
  • Garmin Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies, approaches)
  • Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • Terrain (used to render synthetic vision and provide terrain alerting)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)
  • Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, etc)
  • IFR/VFR Charts (VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts)
North America Database Bundle $199.95/yr ($16.66/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering Canada, Alaska, and the Continental U.S. (see details on FlyGarmin), updated as often as you like:
  • Garmin Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies, approaches)
  • Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)
Americas Database Bundle $299.95/yr ($25.00/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering North and South America (see details on FlyGarmin), updated as often as you like:
  • Jeppesen Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies, approaches)
Europe Lite Database Bundle $249.95/yr ($20.80/mo)
Includes the following 6 databases covering Europe (see details on FlyGarmin), updated as often as you like:
  • European Basemap Enhancements with additional surface detail
Europe Database Bundle $299.95/yr ($25.00/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering Europe (see details on FlyGarmin), updated as often as you like:
  • European Basemap Enhancements with additional surface detail
Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve

795/796 Database Bundles

Steve

''Appreciate the reduced bundle pricing''

You just got a new customer...

One question: What is the difference between the Jepps vs Garmin Navigation Data??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

How about the 696?

Hello Kyle,

We certainly haven't forgotten our loyal 695/696 customers and want to make new database options available to them as well.

We appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Kyle,

We certainly haven't forgotten our loyal 695/696 customers and want to make new database options available to them as well.

Thanks,
Steve

And Steve, don't forget those of us loyal G3X (legacy) customers who bought the products that have paved the way since... somehow we seem to have been forgotten with anything new that comes from Garmin. Our G3Xs don't get the good database pricing options or the hardware/software upgrades. When I contact Garmin with support questions, the support person is helpful but almost always assumes that I have the "Touch", and then becomes subdued, disappointed, and less interested when they learn that I have the Non-Touch G3X. Sometimes I feel like I'm the sucker that bought the wrong product too soon... My whole reason for choosing Garmin in the first place was because of quality, reliability, and continued support.

I like the G3X (non-touch) that I have, why does Garmin think that we should all just "upgrade" to G3X "Touch"??... It's NOT cost effective to do so, and is very frustrating!! :confused: :mad:

Victor

Hello Kyle,

Thanks,
Steve
That's great to hear! I was worried this was one of those "planned obsolescence" situations.

And Steve, don't forget those of us loyal G3X (legacy) customers who bought the products that have paved the way since... somehow we seem to have been forgotten with anything new that comes from Garmin. Our G3Xs don't get the good database pricing options or the hardware/software upgrades. When I contact Garmin with support questions, the support person is helpful but almost always assumes that I have the "Touch", and then becomes subdued, disappointed, and less interested when they learn that I have the Non-Touch G3X. Sometimes I feel like I'm the sucker that bought the wrong product too soon... My whole reason for choosing Garmin in the first place was because of quality, reliability, and continued support.

I like the G3X (non-touch) that I have, why does Garmin think that we should all just "upgrade" to G3X "Touch"??... It's NOT cost effective to do so, and is very frustrating!! :confused: :mad:

Victor

Hello Victor,

You are a loyal customer and we appreciate that!

If you go to this page and select G3X, you will see that the G3X database pricing has been the same as G3X Touch database pricing for the last two years. Both offer a $49.99/yr U.S. Mini Database Bundle and a $149.99/yr U.S. Lite Database Bundle, so you already have database bundle pricing as good as what was just announced for the aera 660/796.

We apologize if the customer support folks appeared to have been less than enthusiastic about answering your G3X questions. That is certainly not our intent.

We were really taken back by this comment:
Our G3Xs don't get the good database pricing options or the hardware/software upgrades.

The G3X system has had a continuous stream of improvements, both hardware and software, since you first started using your G3X system in 2011. The list is very long, but just to name a few, the GDL 39/39R ADS-B receiver hardware and software was introduced for G3X in 2012, exciting new autopilot servos, autopilot control panel, ADAHRS (including AOA), and engine interface options were brought out in 2013, support was added to G3X in 2013 to support the new GTR 200 COM radio/intercom, and last year G3X systems without an IFR navigator were provided a path to ADS-B Out compliance by adding support for the new GPS 20A position source.

In the last few years we have added many free features to G3X including:
  • Support for GI 260 remote AOA indicator
  • Support for Carbon Monoxide detector
  • Support for ADAHRS static pressure calibration
  • Electronic Stability and Protection for Autopilot
  • Glide Range Ring Support
  • Constant Best Glide Airport identification including bearing pointer
  • Support for GMC 307 autopilot control panel
  • Support for custom user defined and calibrated engine sensors
  • Added estimated time to VNAV field option to data bar
The G3X and G3X Touch systems share a great deal of software and we have taken advantage of that to keep both systems in sync with the newest features whenever possible.

Additionally, I have recently been flight testing the new G5 flight instrument in my G3X (not G3X Touch) homebuilt and we will have new G3X software out soon that supports the addition of a G5 to a G3X aircraft.

I have a G5 backup flight instrument wired to a panel mount aera 660 portable GPS, and I can shut down the G3X display(s) and re-engage the autopilot using backup flight instruments and navigation using the G5 following the flight plan in the aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I've just purchased one of the bundles for my 795, but have been unable to install the updates.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the web site won't communicate with my GPS. I've tried using Chrome, Edge and Firefox.

There's no problem with using the Web Updater for the software, but Communicator seems to have stopped working.

Any suggestions how I can access my updates?

I've just purchased one of the bundles for my 795, but have been unable to install the updates.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the web site won't communicate with my GPS. I've tried using Chrome, Edge and Firefox.

There's no problem with using the Web Updater for the software, but Communicator seems to have stopped working.

Any suggestions how I can access my updates?

Hello Mark,

Sorry you are having troubles.

Garmin Communicator is the the older tool for installing databases and is no longer the best method.

Have you installed the new flyGarmin for Windows program? This should work fine with Windows 10.

FlyGarmin will attempt to use this program when you install a purchased database and will use it if installed.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve,

I do have FlyGarmin installed.

If I run the app, I just get the message to visit flygarmin.com and select the database to install.

When I do that, I don't see any option to install the database.

If I go to my order history, it shows the bundle purchase as status 'in progress' and there is a 'download now' button.

Clicking on that button just takes me back to the 'portables' tab with no option to download.

Thanks Steve,

I do have FlyGarmin installed.

If I run the app, I just get the message to visit flygarmin.com and select the database to install.

When I do that, I don't see any option to install the database.

If I go to my order history, it shows the bundle purchase as status 'in progress' and there is a 'download now' button.

Clicking on that button just takes me back to the 'portables' tab with no option to download.

Hi Mark,

Yes, while flyGarmin for Windows is the desktop application that actually performs the installation, you must go to your FlyGarmin account in the normal way and install the databases you wish to install. It will automatically launch flyGarmin for Windows when needed.

I logged into your FlyGarmin account and see that you have purchased the U.S. Database Bundle for your aera 79X and are ready to start downloading databases.

For example, if you click on the Navigation Data under the Databases section on the left, you will see that the "United States by Garmin" navigation database is purchased (with 13 updates remaining) and you can click on the Install button to install.

You might want to email us if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Back