- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Default The Eagle (EMS) Flys

After a six month hiatus, to change over from an Aerosance FADEC to a Precision Airmotive EMS, my aircraft is once again flying. The Aerosance FADEC (now a Continental Motors product) was becoming a liability. Periodically it would skip a beat, for no apparent reason, or give strange readings, that could not be explained. After years of frustration I decided it was time to make a change.

Strangely enough going back to the age of Magnetos and analog fuel injection did not interest me. I had considered the EFII system and was planning to go that way until I met Dennis Wyman of G&N Aircraft (www.gnaircraft.com) at Oshkosh last summer.

Dennis had an engine mockup with the Precision Airmotive, Eagle EMS System installed. Changing over to the the Eagle system would not require any new plumbing, there is no need for a "return to tank" system, and the fuel injectors would install right where the old ones went; no funky fuel rails spraying fuel into the side of the intake tubes. Unlike the old FADEC, The Eagle system is programable by You (meaning Me) the owner. No sending boxes back and forth for the EPROMS to be reprogramed. I can do it with my MacBook Laptop computer using a terminal program. Getting the Aerosance FADEC System to work on my aircraft eventually required removing the engine to the test cell in Mobile Alabama for "Tuning". Looking back at all the trouble I had getting the Arosance FADEC to work, by comparison, getting the Precision Airmotive Eagle system to work was a breeze.

The Installation was not without a few surprises. The biggest one was when I went to install the fuel injectors and they wouldn't screw in all the way. Come to find out, they work perfectly on the 180 horse (Parallel Valve) cylinders, but in order for them to work on the 200 horse (Angle Valve) cylinders, there is a bit of milling required on the cylinders around the fuel injector port. This was easily accomplished with a back-facing tool of the proper diameter, but took a bit of figuring, if you know what I mean. When other issues came up, they were expertly solved by Peter Nielson, Product Support Manager, and Dennis Anttila, Engineer and all over really smart guy. They were both a pleasure to work with.

I installed an O2 sensor, figuring it would help out with the initial mixture adjustments, but so far it was probably a waste of time and effort. The engine ran so well initially, with no adjustments at all on my part, that my first flight went perfectly with no adjustments whatsoever.

In future test flights I will be able to fine tune the mixture as necessary, or change the percentage ratio of fuel to each cylinder by changing the values in the Configuration and Volumetric Efficiency Tables, if necessary. While flying, I can lean the mixture using the Leaning Knob (a potentiometer) that allows the mixture to be leaned during cruse flight for better fuel economy.

While I am far from being completely confident in the Eagle System (talk to me in another year), I am optimistic that Precision Airmotive has a real gem on it's hands. I would not be surprised if they become the new standard for electronic fuel injection and ignition.

Dane Patterson
RV-8, N460DP

Last edited by DaneP : 03-25-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

That's great to hear Dane. You certainly have been very methodical and diligent in it from what I have seen so it's no surprise that you had a flawless flight!

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES/RW
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" "Diagnostics" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" monthly column
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft" & "Are your Nuts Tight?"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 PM

That's awesome Dane. Now you should have lots of time to help on an RV7A project.
KFFC-Peachtree City, GA
Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 PM

Glad you're happy with your Eagle EMS Dane. Sounds like a quantum leap over the Aerosance which I know others also had problems with.

Just so others know where the competitive EFI systems sit, SDS has a head mounted injector option for parallel valve engines, individual cylinder fuel trim in flight (no clunky laptop required), fuel flow output to your EFIS, LOP ignition advance, is fully user programmable (in flight if desired) and comes with good base mapping.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 450.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 03-28-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneP View Post
..the fuel injectors would install right where the old ones went; no funky fuel rails spraying fuel into the side of the intake tubes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
...SDS has a head mounted injector option for parallel valve engines
Very interesting on both counts. Photos, gentlemen?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 AM

I'm interested to know if Precision has any concerns or warnings about a returnless fuel system with regards to power interruption with a dry tank situation? We've studied this and came to the conclusion that any air that gets into the system when a tank runs dry must get reprocessed through the pump inlet and keeps going back to the injectors until it's processed through the engine- causing an extended severe lean out or engine stoppage.

I asked the question a couple months ago if anyone had experience with this in real life and didn't receive any replies.

We'd love to incorporate a returnless system as well but only if it's as safe as a return type system.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 450.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 03-28-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:07 AM

Interesting, what fuel pressure are you running, is it dead heading the pump or recirculating after? HP FI electric pumps need flow (return) for cooling and less load on motor ya?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 PM

I don't know about the entrapped air in the fuel lines issue. My guess it that it would clear rather quickly as the air would flow through the fuel injectors at a high rate due to it's (very) low viscosity, clearing the fuel lines of anything but fuel. It doesn't seem to be a problem in the standard analog bendix fuel injection.

The standard engine mounted fuel pump is all that is required for the Eagle system, and the minimum fuel pressure is listed as 20 PSI. There are two Fuel pressure sensors (one for each ECU) and the fuel pressure is used as part of the formula for how long to keep the fuel injectors open.

The Eagle literature describes a "Smart Display" that can be mounted in the cockpit and used to interface the ECU instead of a laptop, but all I have seen is pictures of it. It wasn't offered to me as part of my package.

I know that there is a trick to posting images, on this forum, when I figure it out I'll post some pictures.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:34 PM

Can anyone report the time interval it takes for the engine to regain full power with a non-return Bendix system after running a tank dry and switching tanks?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 PM