Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:20 AM

Default Moving to Houston, TX

Hi all,
after long thinking with my family we decided to give a substantial change to our lives. We'll move to Houston from Italy this summer!

Unfortunately this means I have to sell my RV-7 project (by the way, it has been on hold for the last couple of years due family/job/money difficulties) but I hope I can continue to be a member of the RV comunity (who knows.. maybe in the future I'll start over again!)

Any advice for a new Houston resident?

www.rv7a.it
RV-7 I-KLAU (Reserved)
Empennage Done!! (except fiberglass)
Wings done!!
Working on aft fuse.
...SOLD!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Claudio----there is a large RV presence around Houston. You;ll be just fine!
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 AM

Default WELCOME

I live on the north side of Houston. Plenty of RV's at Conroe airport and EAA 302. There is usually a monthly meeting for lunch in the Houston area. Plenty of activity to the south and west as well. I'm sure they will chime in.
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Wiring in progress
2020 Donation made!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:03 AM

Welcome to Texas! This will be very different from Avellino and will be a great place to have an RV and fly. There is so much to see that can be easily reached by an RV that I would suggest taking the money you get selling your kit and look into buying a flying RV-6 so you can explore the US. A decent one can be bought for ~$50K.

The cost of living and cost of flying in the US is so much less than Europe you should take advantage of it. 100LL in the Houston area is around $3.20 a gallon (about .78 euro per liter).

Just my thought after moving to several countries.

Regards - TJ
RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 AM

Comment from Southeast Houston. The "Houston area" is pretty diverse and sprawling. 125 km from Conroe to Galveston. Ranges from coastal in the southeast to wooded in the north and eastern parts. Prairies on the west side. Plenty of growing, renewed urban in the central areas as well. Spend some significant time researching before committing to one area.

Also, there's still a buyers market in the US for airplanes. I would imagine you could find a good deal on an outright purchase or partnership on a small GA plane fairly easily here. Housing is still a little soft. Particularly where the flat energy sectors have caused stress (west side?). East side is booming with chemical manufacturing. Entire area is doing very well with infrastructure and institutional work.

Be glad to answer specific questions if you like. Been in Houston 28 years.

Houston
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 AM

Hi guys, thank you for all your replies.

I'll probably settle in Cypress because there are some friends of my wife that live there and that will give us some help for the first busy period (house rental, driving license, school enrollment for our daughter , job searching, shopping for a couple of cheap but working cars...) so I'm afraid I'll not be able to buy an aircraft for the first period

By the way, sooner or later I'll need to contact a local flight school to convert my EASA PPL license to FAA and, eventually, continue the training to achieve a CPL +ME +IR (my dream in the not-so-far future is to find a decent job in the GA market). Any advice?

www.rv7a.it
RV-7 I-KLAU (Reserved)
Empennage Done!! (except fiberglass)
Wings done!!
Working on aft fuse.
...SOLD!

Last edited by mototopo : 03-23-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototopo View Post
Hi guys, thank you far all your replies.

I'll probably settle in Cypress because there are some friends of my wife that live there and that will give us some help for the first busy period (house rental, driving license, school enrollment for our daughter , job searching, shopping for a couple of cheap but working cars...) so I'm afraid I'll not be able to buy an aircraft for the first period

By the way, sooner or later I'll need to contact a local flight school to convert my EASA PPL license to FAA and, eventually, continue the training to achieve a CPL +ME +IR (my dream in the not-so-far future is to find a decent job in the GA market). Any advice?
Not advice per se, but the Pilots of America Forum (aka the Blue Board), http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/forums , has a lot of info related to the GA job market as it is one of the largest aviation forums out there so it covers a much larger spectrum of the GA community than VAF does.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 03-23-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:11 PM
unfluencer

Claudio,
My big sister lives in Katy, TX (west Houston). Lived there about 40 years, so if you need 'a local' for Houston questions, please feel free to reach out.
v/r,
dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM

Claudio

We have a builders group that meets monthly. That will help motivate you. I am based at EYQ northwest part of town. We have 3 RV's on the field. Watch here on VAF for meetings when they get announced.

Welcome to Htown
Daryl
RV-7A - N754RV: Status - Pink Slip is In! First Flight 8/23/12 - My First Flight 9/24/12!

Home from GloCustom for Paint! 3/16/13
1046 hours and climbing

9th Condition Inspection complete 10/31/2021

Superior XP IO360 (180 HP), Hartzell Blended Airfoil, AF-5400 EFIS panel, Garmin Aera 660, TruTrak Vizion 385 AutoPilot, Dual Pmags
Houston, TX

Dry Creek Airpark (TS07)
http://www.rv7a-factory.com
Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 PM

Welcome to TEXAS! Your in for a treat!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid