What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

I just picked up my new area 660 from my local dealer. Nice unit. I need to charge the battery tonight. But I did notice that the Pilots Guide is not included. I guess Garmin wants me to download and print out the 200+ page document.

They did include five different Quick Start Manuals, each in a different language, each about 6 pages in length.

I just picked up my new area 660 from my local dealer. Nice unit. I need to charge the battery tonight. But I did notice that the Pilots Guide is not included. I guess Garmin wants me to download and print out the 200+ page document.

They did include five different Quick Start Manuals, each in a different language, each about 6 pages in length.

I think the reason there aren't paper manuals is because most people keep digital copies of these manuals on an iPad or smartphone or something like that. That way, when a new revision comes out, it's quick, easy, and free to replace. And there are so many manuals for so many pieces of avionics, that would weigh a ton if you kept all that printed in the plane.

I'm almost dumbfounded to see that Garmin has released this sunlight readable, very capable portable (which is just the right size for my small cockpit) at such a reasonable price - considering what I'm used to seeing when it comes to their aviation products.

AND they released recently the EFIS that fits in a standard panel hole and also very capable - even moreso perhaps - AND sunlight readable, for only $1200 list. I bought a Dynon D2 just for a ferry flight in January and paid almost that much for a lower quality, less capable instrument. So good on you Garmin!

Just for giggles, I went to Gulf Coast to see what a GDL-39 3D costs and wasn't surprised to find it costs about the same as the new Area 660 but Garmin being Garmin, was taken aback a bit in seeing that if you want a DC power cable to connect it to ship's power, it costs $65. Really, Garmin? $65 for a couple wires with connectors on one end and maybe (or maybe not) an in-line fuse? What's it made out of, pure platinum?

Nevermind . . . just wanted to rant a little. I live in the Experimental world for the most part and have to admit I've never owned anything with the name Garmin on it. Nothing against Garmin - I just enjoy being thrifty. I've always managed to find navigation solutions that did the same thing (or more) and cost a lot less, until now. This new sunlight-readable 660 will be my first product from them. I'm pretty much amazed.

Aera 660 Navigation

Steve,

Playing around with the 660 in flight and it is a really nice unit. Can't believe how bright it is compared to my old 296. Easy to use & flying to Nav points doesn't prove to be a problem but I can't find a way to type in airway routes

Ex- LIT J180 SWB etc....

I can put it individual Nav points but how do I put in an airway? No problem in the Foreflight or Garmin Pilot Apps but I want to link up the 660 to the EZ Pilot autopilot and have it all match the filed flight plan.

On another note- I opened the box and put the 660 on a charger for about 12 hours. The battery was only showing about 3/4 full. Do I need a full 24 hours on the first battery use?

So far I'm really liking this thing,
Oly

Last edited:
I had a chance to fly with the new Aera 660 today and I also like it. It is replacing my Garmin GPSMAP 496 (which I'll put up for sale on VAF once I get the ad written).

Yesterday when I received the unit I was able to update the databases with the one-time free upgrade coupon Garmin includes in the box. Updating all the databases via Wi-Fi was a little slow, and I attribute that to Garmin's server load and possibly the size of certain databases (totally subjective observation).

However, I noticed that there was a operating system S/W update (V2.40) released on April 5th. You must connect the unit to a computer using the supplied Garmin data cable to accomplish this update via Garmin's WebUpdater program. I tried to do the update on my iMac and MacBook Air, both running the latest versions of OS X El Capitan (v10.11.4). Neither machine recognized the Aera 660, even when I did a Safe Boot and tried again. I also tried different USB ports, and also a USB 2.0 hub. No joy. I also tried to update the Aera 660 using my iMac running Windows 7 via Parallels, and the 660 was again not recognized.

I know Garmin has been having trouble with Apple's USB connection recently (and I know Apple is not totally blameless since there have been issues recently with certain USB devices), but I was hoping that would all be resolved by now.

Garmin, I'd appreciate any help or tips you can offer. Thx.

Hello Carl,

Yes, we just released new software this week with some new features and improvements.

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
  • Add flight plan transfer support via Connext
  • Add IFR/VFR charts selector map for Wi-Fi downloads
  • General improvements to system operation
What you say above about having to connect a cable to update the aera 660 is incorrect. If you go to the aera 660 software download page, you will see that there are four choices to update the software on the aera 660.

The first choice is for "Other Operating Systems" and is a simple .zip file software download with instructions to create a software SD card for your aera 660. Your Mac should be able to download a .zip file and copy the software to an SD card which can be inserted into the aera 660 to update the software.

You will click on the Download button which will download a .zip file to your computer. Open this file and you will see that it contains a folder named Garmin. Copy/extract the Garmin folder (which contains a single file named gupdate.gcd) to the root directory of a micro SD card as explained in the provided instructions (and shown below).

To update the software in your Garmin Aera 660, perform the following steps:

1. Insert a FAT32-formatted micro SD card with at least 20 MB of free space into your card reader.

2. Copy the "Garmin" folder to the top level (root directory) of the SD card.

3. Safely eject the SD card.

4. Apply power to your Aera 660.

5. Insert the SD card containing the software update. You will be prompted to confirm before the update is installed.

6. During the software update, the display will indicate 'Loading'. Do not remove power during the update process.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the information and describing the alternate method of updating the unit's software via an SD card. I'll try it this weekend. Appreciate the quick response!

Do you have any insight as to why the iMac or MacBook Air running El Capitan cannot see the 660 when connected by the data cable and using the WebUpdater method?

Hi Carl,

Sorry, never used a Mac (but we have customer support folks who do), but one thing I thought of when reading your post is that you never mention that you told the aera 600 it was ok to talk to your computer.

The aera 660 doesn't immediately enter what we call "mass storage mode" and communicate with a computer (of any kind) when you connect a USB cable.

You must answer the prompt and tell the aera 660 that it is ok for it to leave normal operation and enter this mode before it will communicate with any connected computer.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm a bit unclear about WiFi connectivity - will the Aero go out to the internet and grab updated wx (if you're in a place with WiFi?) Can you file a FP, or get preferred routes via WiFi? These would be the final pieces to get me to buy this device. We flew back from Sun and Fun with one, and it sure was pretty.

I currently use Garmin Pilot (iPhone 6+,) and I like it - but the display washes out in the RV8 greenhouse. I purchased Armorglas at the show hoping that would help, but yesterday using the phone in sunlight was not encouraging... I also have a Nexus 7 which is better but not ideal, plus the Android version of GP is behind compared to the iOS version.

The aera 660 supports an interface to a GDL 39 3D using either a highly reliable RS-232 connection, or Bluetooth.

I would like to purchase a 660 and GDL 39 3D. Which cable do I need order or does it come with one? I was looking at the GDL on AS and I don't see an option for the 660.

Also, do both include a power cable? I would like to have them powered from the aircraft and not rely on battery.

I would like to purchase a 660 and GDL 39 3D. Which cable do I need order or does it come with one? I was looking at the GDL on AS and I don't see an option for the 660.

Also, do both include a power cable? I would like to have them powered from the aircraft and not rely on battery.

Hello Nippaero,

Good plan. Some of us don't want anything in the plane powered on batteries unless we lose the alternator! :)

To connect your aera 660 to a GDL 39 or a GDL 39 3D and power them both from a cigarette lighter adapter, you would need this cable.

cf-lg.jpg

You could also use a bare wire mount/cable like described in the original posting. You would also need the bare wire cable for the GDL 39 if you go this route. This is how I have installed the aera 660 with GDL 39 installed in my plane. The second serial port brought out by this cable is connected to a G5 with autopilot.
cf-lg.jpg
cf-lg.jpg

I found all three of these cables for sale on the ACS website.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

In case you didn't see this in the G5 Electronic Flight Instrument thread, we just wanted to mention that the aera 660 makes an excellent navigator for a small system with a G5, GMC 307 autopilot control panel, and servos. You can even fly coupled VNAV descents to pattern altitude with the aera 660 connected to the G5.

_n0hrI0JD3xBvSdaDj-dBXkx5dO21gA2nKdE22TUNdo70h4zziNmmoz5bbJruUhZFOsjxj-HCti8DY_WGEim87a7gnR7FQq-TTsAGe5rOnG3Ska2kFtmCdRbV7kq-0QEM6n75zBrLb9nlx5FNY3LhZIrvBMVKKXgxeBlK_oNoRaAQHyH22YYUUR3BIwMuWxkpgfxSZBjpWuj6csu8e7oYplLKlu6iA0DAjbLS7WFcOjNMlz9iAEu6WJATbj8vhCZ3ls7Tl9s4dAdMGkr6syGsSrP865bHBKAo2MCwQ1coeH-g7JCuQiYquK4F1vvxmhpD3XGahzK18fzVaHC-pF5i8SLID8jBQ-LdyqDufSjjB5aOLVfMsc8JUoPj1rZuhdbd32-8bGoz_VIUgv8M39E2T8SGXNvSXwqwsyFzWOaN7EhFsmJJLtItkzE64I8n4lQc4jLxCMnDhuDzR1Ggsl5AWsamY0J2PwEzjmX6cyFE3S_rjQt6aHNY8yefIOSc_Dy9OZ_t1-909iM6_igY6au3evMclWefbfl29YhNLmfa8jFtwq3TrQBpDOH5ud6xk2EuqDh=w624-h510-no

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks. I would rather not use a cigarette lighter for a clean installation.

I guess my question can I select the bare wire option when I order the GDL? Would it come with that cable or do I need to purchase it separately? I do not see the 660 listed as an option on AS. I just want to power the GDL and still se Bluetooth for the 660/Ipad.

Screen-Shot-2016-04-13-at-10.44.49-AM.png

Also, I have an SL40 com and GTX 335. Is there any integration with either of these with the 660?

I've got a new Aera 660 here on my desk that I am testing, and so far I am quite impressed with the display and the fact that the user interface is essentially the same as what we use on the GTN navigators, Pilot, and the G3 Touch System. I fly so many different airplanes, EFIS's, and navigators that it is nice to see something familiar.

I have yet to fly this little critter a lot, but plan to carry it with me on most flights in the coming months. By comparison, I have been flying with a 696 in my RV-8 since before the units were released, and am very impressed that the 660 has more capability in such a tiny package. Not surprised, given the advances in avionics, but nice to see something that can get the job done that is compact.

Looking forward to using the wireless features in our Touch airplane, and with one of the coming ADS-B In/Out transponders. I'll let you know how I like it here and in Kitplanes.

Paul

Hello Nippaero,

Please see answers below.

Thanks. I would rather not use a cigarette lighter for a clean installation. I guess my question can I select the bare wire option when I order the GDL?

Yes, as shown in your picture, you can select to purchase a GDL 39 3D with bare wire cable and purchase them together.

Would it come with that cable or do I need to purchase it separately?
The GDL 39 3D can be ordered with the bare wire cable.

I do not see the 660 listed as an option on AS. I just want to power the GDL and still se Bluetooth for the 660/Ipad.
We understand that you wish to use a bare wire harness on both devices, so you will order the GDL 39 3D with the bare wire harness, order the basic aera 660, and order the aera 660 bare wire mount.

Also, I have an SL40 com and GTX 335. Is there any integration with either of these with the 660?
You may connect the aera 660 to the SL40 and push frequencies from the aera 660 airport frequency page to the SL40.

There is no reason to connect an aera 660 to a GTX 335. If you have a GTX 345, it performs all of the functions of a GDL 39 3D and will connect to the aera 660 to provide ADS-B traffic and weather and attitude, but the GTX 335 does not include this capability.

If you have more questions, it might be easier to email or call us at the contact information shown below.

Thanks,
Steve

To the g3expert:

I have the aera 660 and will be interfacing to the GTX 345 transponder using the aera's BARE WIRE MOUNT/ CABLE. The question is on the audio out from the aera. Does the audio need to go directly to the audio panel (GMA 340) or is the audio imbedded in the RS 232 data stream that runs between the aera and the GTX 345?

The GTX has its own dedicated audio out that needs to go to the audio panel.

Also, I could not find the specs for the output impedance of the area 660. Is it also 500ohms as is the '345?

Last edited:
To the g3expert:

I have the aera 660 and will be interfacing to the GTX 345 transponder using the aera's BARE WIRE MOUNT/ CABLE. The question is on the audio out from the aera. Does the audio need to go directly to the audio panel (GMA 340) or is the audio imbedded in the RS 232 data stream that runs between the aera and the GTX 345?

The GTX has its own dedicated audio out that needs to go to the audio panel.

Also, I could not find the specs for the output impedance of the area 660. Is it also 500ohms as is the '345?

Hello Noel,

Thank you for choosing the aera 660.

Yes, you will probably want to connect the audio output from the aera 660 to an unswitched alert or other audio input on your GMA 340 audio panel. The RS-232 connection between the aera 660 and the GTX 345 does not provide audio.

The aera 660 audio output will drive your audio panel inputs just fine, and the volume is adjustable on the aera 660 Sound page.

There probably isn't a good reason to connect the GTX 345 audio output to your audio panel. The GTX 345 provides traffic warnings, but since your aera 660 provides traffic, terrain, and obstacle warnings, you wouldn't want to double up on the traffic warnings with the GTX 345.

Thanks,
Steve

There probably isn't a good reason to connect the GTX 345 audio output to your audio panel. The GTX 345 provides traffic warnings, but since your aera 660 provides traffic, terrain, and obstacle warnings, you wouldn't want to double up on the traffic warnings with the GTX 345.
I can think of one reason to connect it... Failure modes. If the 660 fails for some reason, or if you happen to forget it at home and still want to go flying, you may still want the ability to turn on the audible alerts from the GTX 345.

I guess you'd need either another switchable input on the audio panel, or maybe the GTX 345 has a way to turn audio on/off from it's panel?

Hopefully my last question to g3xpert:

I am attaching the aera 660 audio out to my GMA 340 Audio Panel using the "aera 660 aviation mount, bare wires" connector. This unit provides Right, Left, and Common interface wires. The audio panel is not stereo, only mono. I am assuming that it does not matter which channel I use...either right or left. All audio will be present on either (no fancy 3D audio function embedded).

Hopefully my last question to g3xpert:

I am attaching the aera 660 audio out to my GMA 340 Audio Panel using the "aera 660 aviation mount, bare wires" connector. This unit provides Right, Left, and Common interface wires. The audio panel is not stereo, only mono. I am assuming that it does not matter which channel I use...either right or left. All audio will be present on either (no fancy 3D audio function embedded).

Hello Noel,

We recommend connecting the left audio output channel and audio common when connecting to a mono audio input like the alert input on the GMA 340.

Thanks,
Steve

GDL 39

Hello Nippaero,

Good plan. Some of us don't want anything in the plane powered on batteries unless we lose the alternator! :)

To connect your aera 660 to a GDL 39 or a GDL 39 3D and power them both from a cigarette lighter adapter, you would need this cable.

cf-lg.jpg

You could also use a bare wire mount/cable like described in the original posting. You would also need the bare wire cable for the GDL 39 if you go this route. This is how I have installed the aera 660 with GDL 39 installed in my plane. The second serial port brought out by this cable is connected to a G5 with autopilot.
cf-lg.jpg
cf-lg.jpg

I found all three of these cables for sale on the ACS website.

Thanks,
Steve

I have the GDL 39 using the cigatette lighter for power hook up. I would like to hard wire the GDL 39 to my Aera 660. I will also hook the Aera 660 to my GNS 430W.

The smaller picture of the bare wire which I think you show as being for the GDL 39 does not seem to have the type of connection that goes into the GDL 39, I can't seem to find the bare wire for the GDL 39 for sale, I know it can be ordered that way.

Any suggestions on how to best integrate the Aera 660 with my set up, Aera 660 is replacing a 496 that is hard wired to ICOM 210 radio and GNS 430W? I will list my equipment:

GNS 430W
GDL 39
Flight Stream 210

Dynon first generation EFIS with Auto pilot (D180 and HS24)

Thank you.

I have the GDL 39 using the cigatette lighter for power hook up. I would like to hard wire the GDL 39 to my Aera 660. I will also hook the Aera 660 to my GNS 430W.

The smaller picture of the bare wire which I think you show as being for the GDL 39 does not seem to have the type of connection that goes into the GDL 39, I can't seem to find the bare wire for the GDL 39 for sale, I know it can be ordered that way.

Any suggestions on how to best integrate the Aera 660 with my set up, Aera 660 is replacing a 496 that is hard wired to ICOM 210 radio and GNS 430W? I will list my equipment:

GNS 430W
GDL 39
Flight Stream 210

Dynon first generation EFIS with Auto pilot (D180 and HS24)

Thank you.

Hi Mike,

First, the cables. Yes, I agree that the GDL 39 bare wire cable picture doesn't look like it has the GDL 39 connector on it, but it does. You will need that cable plus the bare wire cable for the aera 660.

Now lets do some wiring and configuration.
aera 660 Serial Port 1 to GDL 39:
- Connect 660 Blue Tx1 line to GDL 39 White/Green RxA
- Connect 660 Yellow Rx1 line to GDL 39 Green TxA

aera 660 Serial Port 2 transmit to ICOM radio
- Connect 660 Orange Tx2 line to ICOM receive input

aera 660 Serial Port 2 receive to 430W
- Connect 660 Purple Rx2 line to unused 430W RS-232 Out

Serial Port Configuration
Set Serial Port 1 on the aera 660 to "Garmin Data Transfer"
Set Serial Port 2 on the aera 660 to "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out"
Set the 430W serial port connected to the aera 660 to "Aviation"

Thanks,
Steve

XM

Is there any chance that the 660 will get upgraded to allow XM music input? I really like the form and function of the 660 but I hate to give up my XM Radio that's available on my AERA.

Just what I needed

Hi Mike,

First, the cables. Yes, I agree that the GDL 39 bare wire cable picture doesn't look like it has the GDL 39 connector on it, but it does. You will need that cable plus the bare wire cable for the aera 660.

Now lets do some wiring and configuration.
aera 660 Serial Port 1 to GDL 39:
- Connect 660 Blue Tx1 line to GDL 39 White/Green RxA
- Connect 660 Yellow Rx1 line to GDL 39 Green TxA

aera 660 Serial Port 2 transmit to ICOM radio
- Connect 660 Orange Tx2 line to ICOM receive input

aera 660 Serial Port 2 receive to 430W
- Connect 660 Purple Rx2 line to unused 430W RS-232 Out

Serial Port Configuration
Set Serial Port 1 on the aera 660 to "Garmin Data Transfer"
Set Serial Port 2 on the aera 660 to "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out"
Set the 430W serial port connected to the aera 660 to "Aviation"

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve just what I was looking for.

One additional suggestion regarding the supplied powered mount/yoke mount. You may remove the powered mount from the yoke mount, attach a RAM ball (same hole pattern), and use lots of flexible mounting options offered by that mounting system.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I'd like to use the wired in mount to get the 660 in portrait rather than landscape and I can't do that with the include yoke mount. Do you know what RAM piece I can screw the Aviation Mount with Bare Wires (Part Number: 010-12373-01) to?

Thanks!
Mooniac

Steve,

I'd like to use the wired in mount to get the 660 in portrait rather than landscape and I can't do that with the include yoke mount. Do you know what RAM piece I can screw the Aviation Mount with Bare Wires (Part Number: 010-12373-01) to?

Thanks!
Mooniac

Hello Mooniac,

We want to make sure we understand what you are trying to accomplish and discuss some options.

If you don't mind, please email us at [email protected].

Thanks,
Steve

I believe Steve previously indicated that the mounting pattern for the Aera 500 series was the same dimensions as the Aera 660 (but pinouts wouldn't match).

If that's the case, this RAM mount [RAM] [Aircraft Spruce] should bolt directly to the hole pattern on the bare wire mount. It uses a 1" ball, so any of the RAM 1" ball hardware should work to take it from there to your panel.
RAM-B-347UIU2.jpg

Rob is correct (and thanks for posting the picture).

The aera 5XX and aera 660 use what is called an "Amps" rectangular mounting hole pattern that is widely supported by third party mount suppliers.

We have a 1" ball mount installed in our RV-7A (attached to the side post) and use a ball mount attached to a cable mount like Rob shows above when we fly with the aera 660. It is hard to beat the flexibility of the ball mount options.

Thanks,
Steve

I believe Steve previously indicated that the mounting pattern for the Aera 500 series was the same dimensions as the Aera 660 (but pinouts wouldn't match).

If that's the case, this RAM mount should bolt directly to the hole pattern on the bare wire mount. It uses a 1" ball, so any of the RAM 1" ball hardware should work to take it from there to your panel.

Excellent! That is what I was looking for. Thanks

Rob is correct (and thanks for posting the picture).

The aera 5XX and aera 660 use what is called an "Amps" rectangular mounting hole pattern that is widely supported by third party mount suppliers.

We have a 1" ball mount installed in our RV-7A (attached to the side post) and use a ball mount attached to a cable mount like Rob shows above when we fly with the aera 660. It is hard to beat the flexibility of the ball mount options.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve, that should allow me to get the device in a portrait orientation (which the provided yoke mount doesn't seem to allow).

I am using the 660 with my GDL 3D. How can I reset the pitch/roll on the 660 when using the SynVis screen?

I am using the 660 with my GDL 3D. How can I reset the pitch/roll on the 660 when using the SynVis screen?

Hello Nippaero,

Select Menu, Cage Gyros when on the 3D Vision page.

You can also reset the G-Meter from that page.

Thanks,
Steve

aera 660 V2.50 Software

Nothing too significant for this release, but we were seeing some issues with the unit turning off with a low battery report when the remaining battery was fine, so everyone should update soon. Note that this issue was only occurring when running on the battery, not when on external power.

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
  • Add menu option to Bluetooth setup to manage paired devices
  • Add QWERTY keyboard layout for landscape mode
  • Improve Low Battery Shutdown processing
  • Improve Bluetooth Setup Page
  • Increase nearest user waypoint search radius
  • Change behavior of the aviation review page so it will no longer timeout
  • General improvements to system operation and performance
  • Includes GDL 39 software version 4.70

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Aera 660 Battery

Steve,

I'm using an Aera 660 with a GDL 39 3D. All functions appear to be working normally with the exception of the battery charge indicator in the top right corner of the display. The battery appears to be charging fine with the wall charger and the bare wire cable tied into the aircraft 12V power.

When I got the new 660 from Garmin I did the updates recommended, registered the GPS on the Garmin website and charged the battery overnight. Multiple attempts to charge the battery only produced about a 75% charge regardless how long I charged it. I left the GPS on until the battery died and the GPS shut off. I then recharged it to once again only get about a 75% charge.

I contacted Garmin and received a brand new battery with the same results. Is this a software issue within the Aera 660 production models or is something wrong with my charging system within the 660? I don't understand why the battery level also shows a green bar within the battery instead of a digital percentage charge display like an IPhone which would seem to be a little more precise.

Below is a screenshot of the GPS with an overnight full charge. Shouldn't the battery level indicator show a 100% full charge?

Oly

2s7x5ht.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a case available for the 660? I was hoping there would be something included with the unit like the case for the GDL 39.

Steve,

I'm using an Aera 660 with a GDL 39 3D. All functions appear to be working normally with the exception of the battery charge indicator in the top right corner of the display. The battery appears to be charging fine with the wall charger and the bare wire cable tied into the aircraft 12V power.

When I got the new 660 from Garmin I did the updates recommended, registered the GPS on the Garmin website and charged the battery overnight. Multiple attempts to charge the battery only produced about a 75% charge regardless how long I charged it. I left the GPS on until the battery died and the GPS shut off. I then recharged it to once again only get about a 75% charge.

I contacted Garmin and received a brand new battery with the same results. Is this a software issue within the Aera 660 production models or is something wrong with my charging system within the 660? I don't understand why the battery level also shows a green bar within the battery instead of a digital percentage charge display like an IPhone which would seem to be a little more precise.

Below is a screenshot of the GPS with an overnight full charge. Shouldn't the battery level indicator show a 100% full charge?

Oly

Hello Oly,

No, the low battery issue mentioned in the software release had nothing to do with charging. We have your email and will discuss a solution.

Sorry, never heard of a device called an iPhone.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I have had a chance to use the 660 on a couple flights now. One thing I like better about Garmin Pilot is the ability to see weather information when I am connected to WiFi. It would be nice to be able to plan a trip on the 660 before heading to the plane.

Is there a way to plan a trip on Garmin Pilot and send it to the 660?

UPDATE: It looks like I can use Connext to send the flight plan. It looks like you have to pair the IOS device with the 660 via Bluetooth. But the 660 complains that it is already connected to the GDL39. Must have to unpair from the GDL, pair with IOS and then switch back to the GDL...

Last edited:
I'm struggling with something odd about flightplan transfer functioning... I have serial port #1 setup for Aviation in frlom my GTN and I have bluetooth connected to my FS210. When I configured the Connext settings, I set the flightplan send to requires action which I believe means it will not send it automatically however when I load a flightplan on the GTN, it gets to the 660 and then sometime later I get a meddage on the GTN that there is an inbound flightplan (which is the same as the one the GTN sent to the 660).

How do I stop the 660 from sending the flightplan?

I'm struggling with something odd about flightplan transfer functioning... I have serial port #1 setup for Aviation in frlom my GTN and I have bluetooth connected to my FS210. When I configured the Connext settings, I set the flightplan send to requires action which I believe means it will not send it automatically however when I load a flightplan on the GTN, it gets to the 660 and then sometime later I get a meddage on the GTN that there is an inbound flightplan (which is the same as the one the GTN sent to the 660).

How do I stop the 660 from sending the flightplan?

Hello Mooniac,

First, please make sure you are using V2.50.

With both wireless and hardwire flight plan transfer paths enabled, some of the flight plan transfer logic may be overloaded (and circular).

Just because you "can" setup both wired and wireless paths doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Your wireless link using the FS210 is bi-directional, so you might try setting the serial port to None that is currently connected to the GTN and see if the wireless link does everything you need (it should).

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mooniac,

First, please make sure you are using V2.50.

With both wireless and hardwire flight plan transfer paths enabled, some of the flight plan transfer logic may be overloaded (and circular).

Just because you "can" setup both wired and wireless paths doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Your wireless link using the FS210 is bi-directional, so you might try setting the serial port to None that is currently connected to the GTN and see if the wireless link does everything you need (it should).

Thanks Steve for the reply. I am using 2.50. I'll try disabling the serial port but since that is not connected for send, only receive, I don't see how that can be related but hey, who knows what the SW will do. I'll let you know if that resolves it.

Thanks Steve for the reply. I am using 2.50. I'll try disabling the serial port but since that is not connected for send, only receive, I don't see how that can be related but hey, who knows what the SW will do. I'll let you know if that resolves it.

Hello Mooniac,

If you don't mind, please email us the results. We have a question or two to ask depending on the results.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I have a Dynon D100, GDL39 3D, and need to connect the Aera 660.

The Aera 660 will be hard-wired in the panel, replacing a Garmin 296. This previous installation worked well, navigating with the D100 autopilot.

Understand that the blue & yellow connect to the RXD & TXD at the GDL39.

Can I simply parallel the D100 via the blue TX1 wire as well? Or use the orange TX2?

You provide great response, and I don't want to smoke anything, so I'm asking.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Steve,

I have a Dynon D100, GDL39 3D, and need to connect the Aera 660.

The Aera 660 will be hard-wired in the panel, replacing a Garmin 296. This previous installation worked well, navigating with the D100 autopilot.

Understand that the blue & yellow connect to the RXD & TXD at the GDL39.

Can I simply parallel the D100 via the blue TX1 wire as well? Or use the orange TX2?

You provide great response, and I don't want to smoke anything, so I'm asking.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your kind words and for replacing your 296 with an aera 660!

The GDL 39 3D requires a dedicated serial port, but no problem since the aera 660 has two serial ports. Just wire up the GDL 39 to the Blue and Yellow wires for serial port 1 like shown in the diagram on page 144 of the aera 660 Pilot's Guide and configure Serial Port 1 to "Garmin Data Transfer".

Connect your D100 to the Orange TX2 wire and configure Serial Port 2 for "NMEA Out 4800" or "NMEA Out 9600" depending on the baud rate of your D100.

Thanks,
Steve

No Weather on the ground - Garmin Pilot on Smartphone needed

I am comparing Foreflight/ iPad/ Stratus 2 with my new Garmin 660 and GDL 39 3D. I had issues with iPad freezing up in flight, and Foreflight doesn't provide any airspace warnings or graphics on their World Map (leaves it up to the VFR pilot with moving VFR chart - dah, thanks.). Garmin does a great job for VFR pilots in the default moving map (not VFR chart mode) for airspace management - worry free cross country flying. Also, the Stratus 2/ Foreflight synthetic vision is really poor - very flat ground images, and you don't actually see the runway until you're down final and almost on top of it. Garmin Synthetic Vision on the 660 seems much richer, as was the previous 796 I owned.

Question 1) Why can't the Garmin 660 pick up weather while on Wifi sitting at my desk planning a flight? Foreflight does this with great ease. Ugh!

Question 2) Since the Garmin 660 doesn't show weather on Wifi on the ground, I am using Garmin Pilot on my Android for that purpose (really trying to give Garmin a shot here). Has Garmin considered a joint subscription for Garmin 660 owners to allow free downloads and use of Garmin Pilot on a separate smartphone, when you own a 660? Even Foreflight allows for an iPad and an iPhone on the same subscription.

Question 3) Why can't I pair the GDL 39 3D with my Android Smartphone using Garmin Pilot to get inflight weather and traffic, and consider returning my Garmin 660 and just use my smartphone with GP and the GDL antenna? (wait, did I just answer my own question :>)

660 WiFi

I really like the 660 way more visible than my iPad. There is an issue getting WiFi I would like to mention. Some FBOs have free WiFi and they do not require a security code. These do however come up to an initial page where you have to agree to terms of use.

The 660 does not allow for this, you can't get to that page and therefore can't get online. My guess is this would be an easy fix.

Cheers

I really like the 660 way more visible than my iPad. There is an issue getting WiFi I would like to mention. Some FBOs have free WiFi and they do not require a security code. These do however come up to an initial page where you have to agree to terms of use.

The 660 does not allow for this, you can't get to that page and therefore can't get online. My guess is this would be an easy fix.

Cheers

Hello Mike,

Yes, the aera 660 works great with both secured and non-secured home and office wireless routers that don't require a web browser interface to connect.

Sorry, but there is no web browser, java-script engine, cookies, or other infrastructure available to support this type of web page interface.

Come visit us at Garmin and you can sit in the lobby and use your aera 660 with our Guest WiFi network without any of this funny business. :)

Thanks,
Steve

Mike, as an alternative (yes, I know it's a workaround), you could get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-TripMate-Wireless-External-HT-TM06/dp/B012ZNMUL6/

You can configure it to connect to the FBO WiFi using your smartphone, even WiFi that needs confirmation through a second screen. Then it can share that connection out again using whatever parameters you like... So you can set it to not need a password/etc. to connect.

I have one that I take on business trips, it simplifies things when all I have to do in the hotel/remote office is connect the travel router to the network. After that, all of my other devices are already set to connect to the travel router.

And, as a bonus you get a portable battery pack for emergency charging your cell phone, a dual-USB port for charging your phone and tablet while you're near a power outlet, etc.

Last edited:
Back