- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 PM

Default Can i say WOW...

So today was my first ride in Van's RV 10 in Aurora, OR. Me+Pilot+back seat passenger+50lb of lead weight...about 740lbs total in cabin. Runway is 5000 ft long if I'm not mistaken...we started at beginning, and before we hit the 4000 ft remaining marker, we were airborne and off we went...up up and away!! All is I can say is WOW!! So here is the kicker...and I kid you not...a Cirrus SR-22 takes off just a few minutes after we land...and she gobbled up about 1/2 the runway length.

I would not have believed if I wasn't there myself, the RV-10 is AMAZING!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 PM

My first ride was just as amazing - though it was in a 9A. I couldn't believe how fast we got off the ground and how quick we climbed. We were at full gross and flying out of Rifle Colorado - 6000' elevation. Now I am trying to get my 9A finished!

Oh, and welcome to the "gang".
Flying N376E
Old 02-23-2016, 01:03 AM

Yup. Impresses me every time and I now have 248 hours. I took off last night from HIO (not far from Aurora) and I was seeing an easy 1600' FPM on climb out. I was solo and density altitude was -1600' but impressive nonetheless. I've taken off at 8000' density altitude with the family and bags and she doesn't stop impressing me.

You'll enjoy it!

Last edited by dhmoose : 02-23-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:29 PM

Default RV-10 Performance, from the ground...

I watched once, as fellow Colorado pilot, Jim Berry, took off with my wife, my wife's friend and her teenage son in his RV-10. I was on the ramp with my newborn daughter, asleep in her stroller, about 1/3rd of the way down the runway, prepared to take video of the takeoff. I started filming when they made the turn onto the runway and throttled up. By the time they passed us, they were about 200 feet up in the air, and this was on summer day in Denver, with about a 9,500 ft Density Altitude! When my wife landed, I asked her what she thought of the takeoff, vs. the POS Cessnas we typically rented. She told me, "it was like riding in an elevator."
RV-10 - Working on engine / prop installation
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 02-23-2016, 12:57 PM

Hey, Mike, we're neighbors. Where are you based?
2021 dues paid!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmba View Post
So today was my first ride in Van's RV 10 in Aurora, OR. Me+Pilot+back seat passenger+50lb of lead weight...about 740lbs total in cabin. Runway is 5000 ft long if I'm not mistaken...we started at beginning, and before we hit the 4000 ft remaining marker, we were airborne and off we went...up up and away!! All is I can say is WOW!! So here is the kicker...and I kid you not...a Cirrus SR-22 takes off just a few minutes after we land...and she gobbled up about 1/2 the runway length.

So have you ordered the tail kit yet?
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:10 PM

Red face

I'm jealous! Every time I went to Van's - for the factory tour or even the day I purchased and picked up my empennage kit - either the weather was bad and the planes were in for maintenance or the -10 was loaned out for transition training. I'd really like to get my wife up in one since she's buying into this big time! (And it wouldn't hurt my feelings any for me to get MY test fight as well!)

Dues paid: 2015, 2016, 2017

N910DM Reserved
RV-10
Empennage - Completed!
Wings - Completed!
QB Fuse In work!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmba View Post
a Cirrus SR-22 takes off just a few minutes after we land...and she gobbled up about 1/2 the runway length.

My lancair is similar to a Cirrus, and I always use 1/2 or more of the mile+ runway when taking off, gives me more time to scan my instruments and build up airspeed, no need to make every takeoff a "max performance/short field" takeoff

sometimes i'll just click trim up a few and let it fly itself off the runway, normal rotation around 75kts, this method rotates me at 95-100kts- nothing wrong with that
Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
nothing wrong with that
Unless the airport you want to use only has an 1800 ' long runway (we have lots of those here in the PNW).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-24-2016, 12:19 PM

When I was switching hangers from Howell, MI to Gladwin, MI, I moved most everything using the RV-10. My wife brought the grand-kids to the hanger to see the plane and watch my departure. I had the rear seats removed and the plane was loaded to the gills including two top roll around tool chests filled with tools. I was a couple hundred pounds shy of gross weight with full fuel. A Cirrus was ahead of me and after he took off and cleared I did the same. When I got back home a couple hours later my wife commented right away that I was off the ground in half the time the Cirrus was. It was the first time she saw the RV-10 fly. I rotate the nose wheel off the ground at 65-70 knots and shes flying a moment later picking up airspeed and altitude like a home sick angel. I see no reason to keep driving the plane on the runway after 65-70 knots.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021