VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2016, 08:14 PM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 317
Default Betty Lou is Getting Used to her new home...

My wife named the new plane "Betty Lou", I guess she had the Bob Seger song on the brain.

I have been reading all the posts about RV landing gear issues on non paved strips and was concerned about how it would perform at the field where I wanted to keep it. I am fortunate that my elderly friend who sold his plane and quit flying offered up that I could keep my plane at his place if I bought one. 2 minutes from my house. Steel hangar, 1150 ft flat and useful. In and out from the west. The winds favor north and south in my area of TN...

I have seen some video of RV landing gear looking very sketchy and have read about some of the available mods. Anti-plat etc. I decided to video my gear and see what it looks like an the ground and I am pleasantly surprised. Not sure that I will do any mods. It already had the matco hub.

Here are a couple links to video of the gear on the strip. I love my airplane!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca0FErFGOao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrB2bhTmGxs

__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2016, 10:34 PM
rockwoodrv9 rockwoodrv9 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Meridian ID, Aspen CO, Okemos MI
Posts: 2,861
Default

Nice Jeff. Looks like you held the nose off as suggested and it worked well. Thanks for the videos.
__________________
rockwoodrv9a
Williamston MI
O-320 D2A
Flying N376E
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2016, 05:31 AM
Michael White's Avatar
Michael White Michael White is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cartersville, Georgia KVPC
Posts: 945
Default

Jeff,
Is that your Mother-in-Law's flying machine on the left by the tractor?
__________________
Moose
VAF #136
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 AM
MikeyDale's Avatar
MikeyDale MikeyDale is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Garden City Texas
Posts: 919
Default

1150'? Get good on that strip and you will have it made most anywhere else. I have 1800' with High Wires at one end about 400' away from the threshold and I really have to concentrate on getting it slowed down!
__________________
Mike Hillger
RV 7 FLYING SINCE 4/2015!
Garden City, Texas
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Ben R's Avatar
Ben R Ben R is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 138
Default Mods

Jeff,
First of all, you have a fine looking 7A there!! I know you're proud!!
I would still recommend taking a hard look at the anti-splat mod for your nosegear. It's a pretty simple and inexpensive mod. It looks like your strip is good but our tires are so small that it only takes a little hole to ruin your day. I had the left main landing gear of my previous RV-6 break at the mount while I was taxiing at a walking speed right out of my hangar. Happened because the wheel went down in a pretty shallow hole that I couldn't even see for the grass grown through it. The tire fit the hole perfectly. Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy that machine!! Your technique looked spot on!
__________________
Ben Rumbley
Monroeville, AL (KMVC)
RV-6 N80YR (sold)
RV-6 N917PF (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2016, 11:46 AM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Nice Jeff. Looks like you held the nose off as suggested and it worked well. Thanks for the videos.

Yes, I think technique does make a difference..
__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2016, 11:47 AM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael White View Post
Jeff,
Is that your Mother-in-Law's flying machine on the left by the tractor?
No, my mother in law is a great lady and I love her dearly. The broom has a similar stall speed to the factor...
__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 AM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyDale View Post
1150'? Get good on that strip and you will have it made most anywhere else. I have 1800' with High Wires at one end about 400' away from the threshold and I really have to concentrate on getting it slowed down!
Yes, I have to be on task and take it in at the bottom of the flight envelope. Very satisfying to do it properly.
__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 AM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben R View Post
Jeff,
First of all, you have a fine looking 7A there!! I know you're proud!!
I would still recommend taking a hard look at the anti-splat mod for your nosegear. It's a pretty simple and inexpensive mod. It looks like your strip is good but our tires are so small that it only takes a little hole to ruin your day. I had the left main landing gear of my previous RV-6 break at the mount while I was taxiing at a walking speed right out of my hangar. Happened because the wheel went down in a pretty shallow hole that I couldn't even see for the grass grown through it. The tire fit the hole perfectly. Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy that machine!! Your technique looked spot on!
Thanks Ben, I'll take that into consideration. I wonder if I would have to get new a gear faring too? Or with the Anti-Splat fit in the one I have?
__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2016, 06:42 AM
Tooch Tooch is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Amelia, Va
Posts: 314
Default Anti Splat

You used to have to get a new fairing but the new ones fit inside the stock Van's fairing.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.