Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 PM

Default First post, hello everyone!

This is my first post.

I just got word that my deal finally went through, and I'm the new owner of a 2013 RV-12, with all the bells and whistles.

Only 140 hours on it. PPI is being done now, as soon as I get the AOK from the PPI, along with answers to a couple questions I had (how much AVgas or lead has been run-but with only 140 hours total on the engine/plane I expect a good report), I'll be sending the remainder of my money and then they are delivering the plane to me!

I have a hangar lined up, we still need to iron out a few things like who's going to carry the insurance (owner is personally financing a small amount for 1 year), but in a week or 2, or 3, depending mainly on weather (it's been raining solid here for a month in NorCal), as soon as we get a good enough break in the weather they'll be delivering my new (to me) RV-12 to my home airport!

This my first plane, although I have a long history in aviation that goes back to my Grandfather, who was one of THE first pilots for United (flew Ford Tri-Motors and DC-3's) and my grandmother was one of the first 20 airline stewardesses in the world (for United as well). That's where they met.

My grandfather was killed, landing on approach at Oakland International in 1929 I think. At the time, a number of DC-3's had gone down just after the pilots had radioed in that everything was fine, but the planes were all destroyed to the point of not being able to determine why. Through my Grandfather's crash, they found that the clip for the radio mike was just above the controls, and if the pilot missed the clip, the mike fell down into the controls and jammed up the controls, causing the crashes. My Grandfather's crash instilled a change in ALL planes at the time, requiring a boot to be put around the yoke or stick, to keep this from ever happening again.

My Dad flew F4's and F-104's in the Air Force, and owned a 182 when I was just a wee tot. I was taking trips to Baja and Mexico before I was even born. My Dad at the time was a big game fisherman, so we flew to Baja and Mexico almost every weekend.

My Dad recently bought a sweet little gem of an Ercoupe, which we flew every weekend together until he flew back to Phoenix where he winters.

I'm still a student pilot, but couldn't handle the fact that my $245 lessons were $200 plane rental, and so I decided to buy my own plane, take my lessons in my own plane, and save the $6000 or so and put that towards the new plane!

It's time this generation of my family carry on the history of aviation that runs so deep in my family!

I can't wait to finally get my RV-12 and begin my lessons and enjoying what I think is one of the best LSA's available (I've researched for months).

So anyways, just wanted to say HI, I'll probably have lots of questions once i get the plane, so I expect i'll be fairly active here on this forum.

I look forward to meeting new friends and fellow pilots.

Mike
Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysopelea View Post
This is my first post.

I just got word that my deal finally went through, and I'm the new owner of a 2013 RV-12, with all the bells and whistles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So anyways, just wanted to say HI, I'll probably have lots of questions once i get the plane, so I expect i'll be fairly active here on this forum.

I look forward to meeting new friends and fellow pilots.

Mike
Mike, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Always good to have another Mike on board.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 PM

Default Welcome Aboard!!!!

Mike,
You will love your bird.. I'm just about ready to make my first flight in mine (if the weather would cooperate). This forum is great...lots of neat folks who love to offer help and make the "Adventures Happen".

Use to live in your neck of the woods..Healdsburg. You'll be getting good weather in a little while..enjoy!
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2018 Dues Paid
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 PM

Default E-LSA or S-LSA

Congratulations Mike. Is it a E-LSA or a S-LSA.
N112DR (RV-12iS) (SOLD)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Old 01-28-2016, 12:42 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the group!

VAF donation made for 2021
Old 01-28-2016, 02:44 AM

Welcome Mike...

Similar story here. My father flew B-17H in WWII and he taught me to fly in 1970 when I was in high school. We talked aviation as a second language and shared a ’46 J-3 Cub for over twenty years. I sold the Cub four months ago and bought a RV-12 with 50TT from original builder. Thought I’d miss the Cub but the 12 is so sweet the smile on my face is permanent. My nephew got his license because of my father so for a while we had three generations flying. My nephew has a 180hp Cardinal with constant speed prop. He’s instrument-rated and flies backcountry all over the PNW.

Good to have you on board. All who are here are very knowledgeable and helpful. You’re going to love the 12. Keep us posted on your progress...
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 01-28-2016, 04:46 AM

Default Grandfather

Welcome Mike. What was the name of your Grandfather at United?
Bob

Renegade Opposing Solo pilot and other Dirty Odd Jobs

http://www.rmrairshows.com/

2021 dues paid
Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM

Welcome and congratulations. Learning in your own airplane is a really good way to go!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM

Mike --

Welcome to the Santa Rosa RV-12 community -- we currently have five RV-12s based at STS with several more in the North Bay area. Give me a call (707-953-5021) or email (dheal@sonic.net) and we can talk RV-12s.

-- David
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,080+ hours (as of Oct 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2022.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the great welcome!

I'll post back tomorrow when I have a little time.

Grandfather's last name was Decesare (family of Ceasar), I only knew my step grandfather briefly as he passed away when I was 3 or 4. He was a great man as well.

I look forward to the future and RV-12 ownership.

It's an SLSA. And I forgot to mention it has autopilot as well!

Last edited by Chrysopelea : 01-29-2016 at 07:29 AM.