What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV-10 is conceived

rjhecker

Good Morning :) Starting Jan 1st, the adventure of building a 10 began. I have been doing ALOT of reading like most of the new builders do and just want to put it out to the world that if your into reading and watching new guys pound rivets and have all sorts of questions please subscribe to the blog and follow along. And as always, advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance -Robert

http://heckersrv10.blogspot.com

Welcome to VAF Robert. Keep us posted on your progress. There is always someone on here to help out if you need it.

Hi Rob,

I'm working on a '10 as well. If you ever want to swing down and see how I did something (not that I'm an example to live by) or want to see the build quality of QB Wings or the QB Fuse, let me know. I live about 30 minutes from The Dalles airport and would be happy to swing out and get you.

Have fun with the build!

Welcome!

Looking forward to watching your progress...

My tail kit is currently shipping and expected to arrive sometime mid-next week.

So I'll soon be joining you in all the fun.

Welcome!

Nice to see another in the early stages of an RV-10 build! I got a head start by buying a partially completed tail kit. Just ordered the wing kit.

Looks like there are at least 3 or 4 of us posting regularly in the early stages of -10s now.

Welcome to VAF!

Robert,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF:D

Always good to see another 10 builder getting started.

Right on :) and thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Since the 1st I have been able to finish the VS, rudder and now just started riveting the HS. I have the luxury of a 48/96 hr shift ( 2 days on 4 days off) so I can knock out a lot in one session when I put my head down...

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t651/rjhecker/IMG_3410_zpsargbjqzc.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t651/rjhecker/IMG_3416_zpsatrhf8hs.jpg

First Question:
So I noticed that the rivets that Vans calls for in the plans when attaching the stringer AND stringer web together are a bit short when riveted AN470AD4-5, I drilled it out and placed a AN4704-6 the measurement on the finished rivet where in spec... Im i out of line to switch rivets like that or is this the right mind set.

Thanks
Robert

As long as the _6 rivet didn't bend over you're good to go. The plans note that sometimes, in places where the load is all in shear, they may spec a slightly short rivet, just for ease in driving (less chance of bending it over). And sometimes they just spec the wrong rivet! Use your judgement.

As long as the _6 rivet didn't bend over you're good to go. The plans note that sometimes, in places where the load is all in shear, they may spec a slightly short rivet, just for ease in driving (less chance of bending it over). And sometimes they just spec the wrong rivet! Use your judgement.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Maybe i should get that rivet gauge out of my hand and start feeling it more... it's definitely an art

Welcome

Robert
It is a extremely fun and rewarding journey.... Many of us builders go through building withdrawals after we finish:)
Just FYI , Jim Early and I are located in Prosser Wa....not far from you. We have ours flying and Jim's is very close. You are welcome anytime to visit or call.

Welcome Robert!!!!

Nice to have you here. Good luck with your build, and I'm looking forward to seeing progress!

v/r,
dr

Another neighbor

You have some -10s nearby. You've already heard from Jack in Prosser. I'm in Missoula and come to Spokane fairly often. Let us know if you need any help. Jack's younger and better looking than me but I've got a better GPS/Nav/Com.

Back