What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Mid-Fuselage panels

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Maybe I'm losing my mind, maybe not. Maybe some of you can help me decide. Certainly, I might be losing some of my memory.

Picture #1, showing my rear throttle quadrant. The plate pointed to by the yellow arrows: Is this a Vans part, or did I custom build it? I can't find it on the plans, but I can't remember making it! It looks factory, so did I just do a good job? :confused:

2vvnguc.jpg

Picture #2, showing the opposite side in the same location. This is a QB fuselage, and all the holes (blue arrows), and nutplates (red arrows) were installed by the factory. The nutplates on the right are to secure the rear panel. What are the top nut plates (red arrows) for? What are the left holes for? I can't find anything in the manual. For that matter, I don't know what the holes on the tops Mid Arm Rest are for. One of the holes on the Fwd Arm Rest were me, to hold the pad down, but the other was already there. Any insights on what those are for?

2j0zj7t.jpg

Anyway, thanks in advance from this humble builder. :)

Pic 1: part came as an option and therefore not on the plans. You should have separate plans for the rear seat throttle.

Pic 2: No idea.

Mirror image

Hey Chuck,

Pic 2: I have a pre-punched slow build kit and I have the same holes. I believe the holes are there because Van's uses the same parts for the left and right side, they are just bent in the opposite direction. The two little holes in the mid armrest are where you make the slit for the rear seat throttle, even though you don't need one on the right side.

I accidentally installed the nutplates on the left side too. I am going to leave mine in case I need them some day.

Just a question from my observation of picture #1: is the black object at the bottom end of the throttle arm a friction lock? Is it possible for the rear seat passenger to activate the lock and prevent the PIC from moving his throttle?

Just a question from my observation of picture #1: is the black object at the bottom end of the throttle arm a friction lock? Is it possible for the rear seat passenger to activate the lock and prevent the PIC from moving his throttle?

I would think yes .... :eek:

Back