What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 with Garmin Panel

Walt

Well Known Member
The newest creation left today, I always hate to see them go ;)

This was a "simple" VFR RV4 panel with some great features:
Included GTR200 with built in intercom, ADS-B In/Out (2020 compliant GPS) with mode S Xpdr, full auto pilot with GMC307 control panel, back-up battery and a GRT Mini X to back it all up.

DSC01868-800.jpg

Why would a vfr airplane need backup instruments?

It's not about needs really.. its about what we want isn't it?
I do love the symmetry of this panel, it really came out great IMO (I may be a bit prejudice though).

Last edited:

Included GTR200 with built in intercom, ADS-B In/Out (2020 compliant GPS) with mode S Xpdr, full auto pilot with GMC307 control panel, back-up battery and a GRT Mini X to back it all up.

DSC01868-800.jpg

Beautiful Walt!

What paint did you use on the panel????

James

State of the Art

DSC01868-800.jpg

Woah,
State of the art panel.
Makes my old gauges seem antique.

Simple question; was that upgrade greater than, less than or about equal to the value of the hull?
Daddyman

Walt,
A beautiful Panel, Just a VOR receiver and It would be a nice IFR bird.

Always amazed at some of the panel work presented here on the forum.

Again. Nice...

Smilin' Jack

Woah,
State of the art panel.
Makes my old gauges seem antique.

Simple question; was that upgrade greater than, less than or about equal to the value of the hull?
Daddyman

Thanks everyone for all the kind words!

This gentleman loves the aircraft and just wanted a modern glass panel, is he upside down on the aircraft, yea probably.

But honestly upgrading to glass is generally a good investment, you will likely (depending on the aircraft) recoup most if not all of the cost when you go to sell, and you get to enjoy it until that time comes.

Once you fly glass you'll never go back :D

Sweet!

Very nice layout, I like it.

Been flying behind a G3X touch in my -4 for about 25 hours now, I will eventually take pictures...when I stop flying it and paint the panel and finish some other stuff I should have done weeks ago. Amazing stuff.

Walt,

Can you give us a roundabout cost of an upgrade like this?

Ball park numbers for this panel: Equipment/parts 20K, installation 10K.

Install costs will vary depending on how much electrical system rework/updating is required.

What limits it to being a VFR airplane?

IFR requires an IFR navigator like a G650 or perhaps a Vor radio for navigation. Or to be more specific, FAR 91.205 d2
“ navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown.”

Walt, sorry about resurrecting an old thread but I’m dreaming about doing a G3X on my -4 and I like the two 7 inch vs the single bigger screen.. the only things I would do differently is remote mount two comms, and add a IFR navigator! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Back